Problems with throwing away disposables / are cloth nappies the way forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should take a picture of my bin, i am serious a homeless person would consider it high living ,its almost the size of my refridgerator its green with black wheels and a hinged waterproof top and a big handle all the way across the back. When i did wear disposables full time garbage day for me is Monday so on holidays my trash isnt picked up for 2 weeks ,it easily accomodates 2 weeks of trash and 2 weeks of diapers (i change 5 x's a day so multiply that to 14 days , thats alot of used diapers) and there's still room to spare ?

I guess realistcly its the age old story Americans like shit big ,everything from our meals & beverages to our garbage bins are monstrous.then again we don't choose our garbage cans (The landlord of the complex negotiates all that stuff , the bin comes with the apartment ) you have to wonder how this country got this way ,alot of people making bad decisions over the years ,I mean do we realy need a 2 litre cup of soda pop ?(beer oh he'll yes ,2 litre of Guinness [emoji41][emoji106]).

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Tetra said:
I should take a picture of my bin, i am serious a homeless person would consider it high living ,its almost the size of my refridgerator its green with black wheels and a hinged waterproof top and a big handle all the way across the back. When i did wear disposables full time garbage day for me is Monday so on holidays my trash isnt picked up for 2 weeks ,it easily accomodates 2 weeks of trash and 2 weeks of diapers (i change 5 x's a day so multiply that to 14 days , thats alot of used diapers) and there's still room to spare ?

I guess realistcly its the age old story Americans like shit big ,everything from our meals & beverages to our garbage bins are monstrous.then again we don't choose our garbage cans (The landlord of the complex negotiates all that stuff , the bin comes with the apartment ) you have to wonder how this country got this way ,alot of people making bad decisions over the years ,I mean do we realy need a 2 litre cup of soda pop ?(beer oh he'll yes ,2 litre of Guinness [emoji41][emoji106]).

HAHAHA 2L of beer!!! Yes please, but I would need a nappy change after that for sure! :p

Household waste is a bit of a big topic in the UK at the moment, landfill sites are filling up and the environmental impact is a nice excuse for the government to throw bigger and bigger taxes our way, even though it is true, we are spoiling the environment at this current rate.

2 weeks of used nappies would probably fill my recycling bin and start on my neighbours! And they are at least twice the size of the household waste bin! Thats without any actual household waste!

ABGeoffie said:
Hi INTrePid,

I agree getting another bin would be an ideal situation, while I like cloth nappies, disposable are my favourite, so being able to continue as I am would be ideal. I think incontinent people living where I do are in a different situation to me, they will have regular deliveries from the NHS (national health service) and be registered as Incontinent, which means they could go to their local council and request a bigger bin due to this medical condition. I am not able to do that as its a lifestyle choice for me, I am not Incontinent.

Also, without having Incontinence on my medical file I am a bit nervous going to the council and pretending that I am. I mean if I tell them I need a bigger bin to dispose of my adult nappies they might ask to see my medical file or speak to my doctor to verify that I am indeed incontinent. For me to then back off and say no would make my ABDL situation a bit obvious I think? I am a secret ABDL, only my gf knows about it, and I plan on keeping it that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Tetra,

I was planning on using smaller individual buckets with lids / pales, emptying them into the bath and drain away the water and possiably rinsing them there, before wringing them out by hand and chucking them into the washing machine, do you think that would work?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the well wishes! Hopefully I will find a solution other than just cloth. But if I don't it's ok, I enjoy a good cloth nappy too :)

I guess I could throw the odd disposable nappy away while out, public bathroom toilets, other public bins, but as a long term regular for of disposable, this would not be viable really.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi foxkits,

6mm thick plastic pants?! :eek: really?

That over half a cm, do they really make them that thick? Even half of that would be extremely thick?

Does velcro go bad if you use laundry taps for during washing? I must admit I have never seen velcro ruined or deteriorate, why does this happen?

Babykins sells a thick baby pants I mite be off on thickness but it's there thickest pant.
Wide leg elastic .

foxkits said:
Babykins sells a thick baby pants I mite be off on thickness but it's there thickest pant.
Wide leg elastic .

I will check them out, thank-you for the recommendation! :)

Lost in translation! Foxkits is in the USA, where 'mil' refers to a thousandth of an inch (which we in the UK call a thou) rather than millimetre. 0.006" or 6-mil PVC is a medium-weight material for plastic pants.

Paxe said:
Lost in translation! Foxkits is in the USA, where 'mil' refers to a thousandth of an inch (which we in the UK call a thou) rather than millimetre. 0.006" or 6-mil PVC is a medium-weight material for plastic pants.

Ahhhh thanks for that Paxe :) Was going to say! lol

It maybe worth considering PUL pants, with 2 layers of it. If you want the polyurethane on the outside, just turn them wrongside out.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
It maybe worth considering PUL pants, maybe with 2 layers of it. If you want the polyurethane on the outside, just turn them wrongside out.

I read that PUL is not that waterproof and leaks?

ABGeoffie said:

Not the material. It is waterproof and mostly air tight, though a very little bit of air can pass through it at the seams. The material will only leak when it is old and cracked (which takes a 3-6 years to happen).

However, not all pul pants are made equally. Salk brand will leak like a siv due to a bad cut and loose fit, and should be avoided. Go with the Gary brand.

The best pants I have I bought with my diapers from Angelfluff the pants are made exclusively for them by Gary , its there top of the line "blue ice" wrapped elastics so no wicking , i bought both pull on and snap on after measuring ordering and fitting them to just what I wanted as a fit , I got a pattern number so anytime I need new pants I just call my pattern number in and how many and they show up ,but honest to god I wear them everyday and in 11 years not one pair has worn out or rotted (I religiously keep petroleum away ,wearing only non petroleum barrier cream ) for times that I may have a rash ,I bought black vinyl pants to know my sick days/rash days wear from my day to day stuff , I do much prefer my PUL pants for traveling they don't cut , pinch or bruise me ,because even with a top of the line wheelchair you can only transfer weight so much so my regular pants give me grief if I stay up 14-16 hours ,so for those days PUL is amazing ,for sleeping I wear Babykins rubber bloomers ,I use a triple boosted super heavy weight prefold night diaper ,unfortunately I have sleep disorders so when I go to bed I can not fall asleep for an entire week and then crater for 18 hours ,I never know when I lay down if its going to be feast or famine .
When I bought my diapers, boosters & plastic pants,I also bought onesies and trousers all total it was $20,000 but 11 years later it's all still in service ,my onesie collection is 300+ because they are much cheaper buying in bulk ,and I don't get S,M,LG they are made to fit me perfectly ,I could wear an off the shelf medium and it would fit decent ,but with these made precisely how I want them the fit is superb,and I have them in every style you can think off ,they are always my undershirt or overshot and people compliment me on my my nice shirts (and I just think to myself your not even seeing the business end of the shirt !).
The "trick" with cloth diapers is to measure three times , so you are sure of your measurements and then wash & dry the he'll out of it for a week before you wear it ,then make any adjustments to the diaper ,that way your diapers will fit like your second skin .it's also best to get one from several companies and wear them before you make a decision on getting a bunch ,different companies cut differently and have different styles , you want to pick the one that is best for you.
I spent a good 10 + hours on the phone with Jeanie & Howard @ Angelfluff learning everything I could about diapers, fabrics, styles,absorbency, for me Howard was the perfect reference because he long term tests each design before a customer ever has the chance to buy it and Howard is IC and in a wheelchair so his trying something is a torture test , guys in wheelchairs are hard on diapers because our unique requirements.

ABGeoffie said:
No, who? . . . Where? It is waterproof. A good PUL is a thing of beauty!
Slomo said:
. . . It is waterproof and mostly air tight, though a very little bit of air can pass through it at the seams. The material will only leak when it is old and cracked (which takes a 3-6 years to happen).
A wicky, leaky PUL pant, is a sign that the seamster, or, seamstress, hasn't a clue about thread. When you go poking holes in a waterproof fabric, you'd better choose a polyester, or marine grade nylon, thread, or you will get wicking. Also, I've seen people who will not use sewing pins on PUL, they use clips when sewing it, so it won't have those holes.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_IueVGGO9kc[/video]

Keep petroleum away from it. It's synthetic. That'll help.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_N_eYKLdHcY[/video]
There we go. No kids in that one. See what I mean about thread? I wanna get my hands on that!

Last edited:
Slomo said:
Not the material. It is waterproof and mostly air tight, though a very little bit of air can pass through it at the seams. The material will only leak when it is old and cracked (which takes a 3-6 years to happen).

However, not all pul pants are made equally. Salk brand will leak like a siv due to a bad cut and loose fit, and should be avoided. Go with the Gary brand.

Ahhh yes, I think they were old PUL covers, perhaps this is why. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Tetra said:
The best pants I have I bought with my diapers from Angelfluff the pants are made exclusively for them by Gary , its there top of the line "blue ice" wrapped elastics so no wicking , i bought both pull on and snap on after measuring ordering and fitting them to just what I wanted as a fit , I got a pattern number so anytime I need new pants I just call my pattern number in and how many and they show up ,but honest to god I wear them everyday and in 11 years not one pair has worn out or rotted (I religiously keep petroleum away ,wearing only non petroleum barrier cream ) for times that I may have a rash ,I bought black vinyl pants to know my sick days/rash days wear from my day to day stuff , I do much prefer my PUL pants for traveling they don't cut , pinch or bruise me ,because even with a top of the line wheelchair you can only transfer weight so much so my regular pants give me grief if I stay up 14-16 hours ,so for those days PUL is amazing ,for sleeping I wear Babykins rubber bloomers ,I use a triple boosted super heavy weight prefold night diaper ,unfortunately I have sleep disorders so when I go to bed I can not fall asleep for an entire week and then crater for 18 hours ,I never know when I lay down if its going to be feast or famine .
When I bought my diapers, boosters & plastic pants,I also bought onesies and trousers all total it was $20,000 but 11 years later it's all still in service ,my onesie collection is 300+ because they are much cheaper buying in bulk ,and I don't get S,M,LG they are made to fit me perfectly ,I could wear an off the shelf medium and it would fit decent ,but with these made precisely how I want them the fit is superb,and I have them in every style you can think off ,they are always my undershirt or overshot and people compliment me on my my nice shirts (and I just think to myself your not even seeing the business end of the shirt !).
The "trick" with cloth diapers is to measure three times , so you are sure of your measurements and then wash & dry the he'll out of it for a week before you wear it ,then make any adjustments to the diaper ,that way your diapers will fit like your second skin .it's also best to get one from several companies and wear them before you make a decision on getting a bunch ,different companies cut differently and have different styles , you want to pick the one that is best for you.
I spent a good 10 + hours on the phone with Jeanie & Howard @ Angelfluff learning everything I could about diapers, fabrics, styles,absorbency, for me Howard was the perfect reference because he long term tests each design before a customer ever has the chance to buy it and Howard is IC and in a wheelchair so his trying something is a torture test , guys in wheelchairs are hard on diapers because our unique requirements.

Wow! That quite the collection! I only have a couple onesies at the moment, they are more like a tight fitting vest with poppers in the crotch, love them though! A big bulky nappy and a fresh onesie / babygrow and I'm happy :)

I think my collection might head in that direction one day, but its something to aspire to for now! :)

Thanks for the pointers, will remember that when I come to choose a brand and supplier!

- - - Updated - - -

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
No, who? . . . Where? It is waterproof. A good PUL is a thing of beauty!
A wicky, leaky PUL pant, is a sign that the seamster, or, seamstress, hasn't a clue about thread. When you go poking holes in a waterproof fabric, you'd better choose a polyester, or marine grade nylon, thread, or you will get wicking. Also, I've seen people who will not use sewing pins on PUL, they use clips when sewing it, so it won't have those holes.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_IueVGGO9kc[/video]

Keep petroleum away from it. It's synthetic. That'll help.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_N_eYKLdHcY[/video]
There we go. No kids in that one. See what I mean about thread? I wanna get my hands on that!

Cool videos, thanks, yeah I think Slomo got the reason why, they were talking about their OLD PUL covers, I guess nothing lasts forever :)

Going to take all these tips and advise and have a lot of single purchases to sample what I like best and what actually lives up to the marketing and advertising :)

At the moment I only use Johnsons baby powder. In the past when I had bad nappy rash I used sudocream, not sure if you have that in the US?

Salk sani pants are horrible ,they should pay us to destroy them .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back