Incontinence in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackT97

Banned
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hi,

I want to know if anyone else suffered from incontinence at school. I'm 20 now but have suffered with urinary incontinence for my whole life due to a birth defect meaning that school was very difficult for me as I had to wear nappies and was therefore bullied really badly. Whenever I wet myself (which happens about 3 or 4 times a day) and had to ask to be excused so I could change I would of course be laughed out of the classroom and called some horrible names.

I'm at university now and everyone is much more understanding but the experience I had at school still hurts me a lot and I would be keen to know for anyone else's experiences.

I became incontinent as the result of a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old (in 1956), during the summer before I started my first year in high school. For the first three years of high school, I had to wear a cloth diaper and plastic pants that required changing about noon each day. However, I was a fanatic about doing what are nowadays called Kegel exercises and got to the point that, provided I was able to get to a restroom within 15 minutes or so after feeling the need, I could generally go without a daytime diaper. But since the medical mishap, I’ve always required an overnight diaper. My experiences were similar to yours: lots of harassment from my peers during high school but much better treatment when I was in university.

Last edited:
I feel for anyone that was incontinent during their younger school days.

I was not but I did get some minor bullying in school and can't imagine what it would have been like if I needed to wear diapers. I did wet the bed and I was terrified of people finding out about it.

I used to wet my pants at school I wasn't the only one in our class who usually had wet pants by the end of the day.

I think wetting at school was a bigger issue several decades ago when students had fewer rights than today and the the kind of protective products that are available today didnt exist. I had a couple wetting accidents in school that were really embarassing and I recall several wetting accidents by other students too. I suspect that today the whole issue is treated differently and thats a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully i never had to wear during school because even though my bladder capacity was small, and i always leaked a bit, i trained myself to be able to hold 7-9 hours of urine without drinking much.

I had to deal with incontinence through some of High School, but luckily I went to an online High School and only had to go in to test and for tutoring.
Pretty sure no one ever noticed I was wearing a diaper, and the few times I was at their office location I only ever had to use their bathrooms to change a few times.

Only scary moment was going up on stage at graduation to get my diploma, but the gown hid everything just fine.
There wasn't much to give me away without the gown to begin with besides a bit of a rounder butt, maybe a little bit more bulge or poof up front too.

times are changing as more people young and,old become diaper dependant for one reasion on another and people are more accepting for the most part of peoples medical needs

spina bifida and a wheel chair user i had to wear at school and with my legs not working and basically dead aide and school nurse had to change me it was no fun at all

I have a similar story myself, birth defects are the cause of my issues, and I was similarly the target of much bullying in that regard. The worst really wasn't even the diaper changing, but the clothes changing. Kids aren't friendly to the guy that has to change in the stall when everyone is getting gym clothes or coming or going back from a field trip, etc.

I didn't have to wear in the day at school as my problem was primarily bedwetting (pads sometimes in the day). That said, a girl I dated found out I wore at night and told everyone in her all-girls school. I was almost paranoid about who knew and who didn't back then.

ClevelandNick said:
I didn't have to wear in the day at school as my problem was primarily bedwetting (pads sometimes in the day). That said, a girl I dated found out I wore at night and told everyone in her all-girls school. I was almost paranoid about who knew and who didn't back then.

I grew up in a working class neighborhood in a small city and back in the day it was easy to spot houses with bedwetters by the laundry hung out on the line because a lot of people still didnt have automatic washing machines or dryers and still hung sheets and pjs out on clotheslines to dry. Even my mom often used the clothesline in nice weather even though she had machines. And school was an issue because if one person found out it was all around in no time. And as for pants wetting at school there was no way to keep that secret.

mikesecret said:
I grew up in a working class neighborhood in a small city and back in the day it was easy to spot houses with bedwetters by the laundry hung out on the line because a lot of people still didnt have automatic washing machines or dryers and still hung sheets and pjs out on clotheslines to dry. Even my mom often used the clothesline in nice weather even though she had machines. And school was an issue because if one person found out it was all around in no time. And as for pants wetting at school there was no way to keep that secret.

Same here you always knew where the bedwetters lived in our street and I wasn't the only one. Nor was I the only one who often wet his pants during the day.

I've been overnight and stress incontinent my whole life. I am graduating highschool in a month and I can safely say no one discovered my diaper. While in middle school I could get away with just absorbing pads once and a while. My junior and senior year of highschool I wore diapers half the time. Diapers are a lot more form fitting than previous times. I've also been on medication for when I couldn't wear diapers, and it worked pretty well for it's job.

High school was rough. It was a private school and I was pantsed daily. Sometimes people would pour things down my diaper. Don't even get me started on gym class. College was much better though.

Yup I had to wear during school. It was extremely embarrassing. In secondary school (I was about 14) I had a really bad day and soaked through my protection in a lesson (I won’t go TMI here) and it didn’t smell or look good. Since that day everyone knew I had too wear a brief/nappy and I got bullied for it, to the point I actually changed school (not entirely for that reason but it was a main factor). However nowadays for one I have stopped caring what others think so much and the protection avalible now is so much better. I have to use briefs all day everyday and I’m pretty sure no one bit my wife and friends know about it...

During my elementary school years, call it naive, but I thought everyone wore diapers. I knew them as underwear and wasn't any wiser. It wasn't until I was being changed in the community center bathroom and a little kid (younger than me by a year or so at the time) was using the urinal and I saw his underwear and realized that he wasn't wearing what I was wearing. It probably wasn't until third grade that it dawned on me that my mom was dropping off diapers to the school nurse a couple of packs a week and I was one of only two or three others that where being sent to the nurses office every few hours. It was in 3rd grade that I really knew something was different and I had the talk with my mother about me being in diapers and she knew shortly after my birth that incontinence was very very certain. I don't really remember being teased for it then but probably from 5th grade on the bullying started.

In middle school I really only have one memory of a girl who had accidents from time to time (rare) and we passed each other in the office one day. I was observant enough to notice that when I had made my earlier visit there was one diaper left in my open pack and then when it was my turn to go in the back room I was given a diaper from my brand new pack. It sticks out in my mind because I remember the nurse having to open the new pack before she got me one. I could only assume that Viola (the other student) had been given the last diaper out of my open pack. I vaguely remember as well seeing store plastic bags of spare clothes with other students names on them that was usually sweat pants and underwear but maybe 5 out of the 10 bags you could identify a single goodnite style pull up. My guess is I wasn't the only one who where dealing with issues but I probably was the only one in diapers full time since I didn't see any other packs of diapers that weren't mine.

Middle school got progressively worse in the bullying, name calling, teasing, pantsing (not particularity sure what that was a favorite of some bullies) department, high school even worse than middle, but for some reason in senior year of high school the name calling and bullying and just sort of stopped like everyone had better things to worry about. It seemed it went from being teased by everyone to just a handful of people.

I didn't really participate in a high school sports and during gym class in HS they usually would let me do extra school work or study. In middle school the called it PE but I went to a classroom instead of the gym with a much smaller group of kids who were differently abled. That group never had made a visit to a locker room and it was usually you could put gym shorts on in the bathroom that was in the classroom. No swim team here for obvious reasons. But yeah, elementary I was dumb and didn't know any better, middle school was horrible, high school seemed to get better.

There was a short time in Elementary School (I think 5th grade) when I had trouble with wetting accidents during the day, I never wore diapers at school and the problems didn't last long as I was taken to a doctor, I had a scan done to see what the problem was (basically there was an obstruction in my system) and then I had a surgery (they removed the obstruction) which fixed the problem.

Needless to say the short time where I was having the accidents and got picked on because of it sucked, but thankfully it was an easy problem to fix and after the one surgery I didn't have any wetting accidents during the day and needed no further treatments.

In Middle School I got picked on for other reasons (because kids are just cruel) and became a fighter so I never had anybody continually bullying me because they knew I would easily fight back.

I was about... ten-ish? when my three brothers and I got into a fight one morning, out in the barn, and my older brother KICKED me really hard in the "lower abdomen"... I immediately peed my pants. Mom was furious over my peeing in my pants. But I couldn't stop it.
Sooo... Off mom and I went, twelve miles to see the pediatrician. Mom screaming all the way, the I was ruining her car's upholstery.
The doctor said it was "just a bad bruise" and would clear up in a couple of weeks. So mother stopped at a local medical supply" in town and got two pares of plastic panties in my size. and for the next three weeks I wore my sister's diapers to bed and to school.
To say that my brothers couldn't wait to tell everyone in school that I was wearing a diaper would be to understate that situation. And the bulling and teasing was dam near non stop for that first week.
Eventually after about three weeks mom started getting mad, again, about my still being in diapers. Claiming I wasn't even trying.
Finally the incontinence did start to clear up. And mom started making me wear her maxi pads, instead of diapers. Which of course everyone in school got big laughs out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back