Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How's Your Employment Situation?

Question How's Your Employment Situation?

Been meaning to ask how everyone's doing job-wise in this recessed(depressed?) economy. Here in the U.S., the economy experts predict unemployment hitting around 10% before improvement is seen. Have you been able to hang onto your existing job, or, if looking for employment, been successful in finding work? Sure hope none of you have suffered loss of job and income. Presently, I've got much more work than I need. But, I'm not complaining because I'd quickly be in deep trouble financially if it suddenly ended.

I've been in Target in recent weeks and noticed the job application computer terminal. They always had a sheet listing current job openings in the store, but lately there is no sheet to be found. I know many retailers are dealing with sluggish sales, so jobs that were normally plentiful, even part time jobs for kids in HS, are apparently much scarcer.

How's things in your neck of the world?

~Pramrider

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    Been meaning to ask how everyone's doing job-wise in this recessed(depressed?) economy. Here in the U.S., the economy experts predict unemployment hitting around 10% before improvement is seen. Have you been able to hang onto your existing job, or, if looking for employment, been successful in finding work? Sure hope none of you have suffered loss of job and income. Presently, I've got much more work than I need. But, I'm not complaining because I'd quickly be in deep trouble financially if it suddenly ended.

I've been in Target in recent weeks and noticed the job application computer terminal. They always had a sheet listing current job openings in the store, but lately there is no sheet to be found. I know many retailers are dealing with sluggish sales, so jobs that were normally plentiful, even part time jobs for kids in HS, are apparently much scarcer.

How's things in your neck of the world?

~Pramrider
    Movie Theater: Best job for a recession.

It slows down, that is true.

But the movies were the American escape during the Great Depression! They're doing just as well now.

No one is going to lose his / her job (due to the recession) here at the theater. In fact, the job has gotten much easier.

I'm in the restaurant game. Some days it's slow but some days it's busy. Days like Sunday with our Brunch is busy, Fridays and Saturday nights are always busy. There has been a slow down of business compared to what it was when I first started there.

We got hit by the high gas prices, and the unemployment but we are stable. Where I work is not a chain so it depends on how much my boss keeps it going.

WildThing121675

Pretty good for me so far. the Company I got a scholarship from the company im working for right now and as one part of the contract is that i have to work for them for 2-3 years. So i have to mess up really bad to get laid off.

I've had my job for close to a year now, and I don't think I'm at any risk of losing it. My friend has managed to get tons of jobs, because he ends up leaving or getting fired, but he keeps getting new ones...So yeah...

I don't have a job right now. I been looking for one for a year now but no one is actually hiring in my town and with no car, I can't go out of town to look for one so yea :/.

I'm currently leeching off the taxpayer in the form of student grants to study for a worthless degree I don't even want any more.

Butterfly Mage

The governor imposed a 2-day furlough (unpaid days off) and a 2% pay cut. So far, however, there haven't been any layoffs in the Dept of Public Safety. I imagine that if he decides to cut, he'd start with my department (Pretrial) since it's a relatively small division.

aside from the obvious finance and related jobs, most of the job-losses i've seen have been based upon malicious reasons passed-off as a result of the supposed recession. other areas of economic activity are already gearing up for a slump in newly manufactured goods and since, in britain, most of those goods are imported, the actual job-losses are confined to industries involved with finance and non-essential marketing/handling of financial products and manufactured goods. note that i include the motor industry in 'finance' as it's financial packages (debts) they sell; and the motor industry has been over-saturating the market for good number of years.

in my own industry, warehousing and distribution, the through-put of goods hasn't altered by any significant degree but, there have been 'redundancies' in the vein i first mentioned. more importantly to my industry, the threat comes from the major supermarkets establishing their own supply networks and government taxation and red-tape, and their combined effects were visible in the early part of this century.
    overall though, i'm not particularly concerned; i'll get by just like i did during the other recessions and i think a lot of the talk about recession is just media hype (they certainly didn't mention it this much during the early nineties - but then, that only affected the working classes).

soren456

I'm in the housesitting game.

Sitting pretty at the moment.