Cool Sculpting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESPF

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Has anyone in here anything good/bad to say about that "cool sculpting" wait loss thing I see in the commercials?
Dose it really work? Or is it just tossing money down a rat hole?

They talked about it on CBS Saturday Morning today. They said the process freezes the fat and then you pee it away. They didn't say how effective it was however.

Freezes the fat and you pee it out...um. I don't think that's how the body works. XD

CuddleWoozle said:
Freezes the fat and you pee it out...um. I don't think that's how the body works. XD

It's more comlpcated that that, but yes it does work that way. The freezing of fat cells kills the cell. The body then breaks it down into waste water, and waste nutrients. (Cells are made up of mostly water though). The kidneys then filter that water out of your body, and you pee it out.

Slomo said:
It's more comlpcated that that, but yes it does work that way. The freezing of fat cells kills the cell. The body then breaks it down into waste water, and waste nutrients. (Cells are made up of mostly water though). The kidneys then filter that water out of your body, and you pee it out.

Hm. Sounds somewhat more plausible then. (And really, when someone just says "I'm gonna freeze the fat off of myself!" it doesn't sound very plausible. XD Makes me wanna say "Well, crawl up in there with the ice cubes and see what you can do.")

But looking at some of the pictures...it looks kinda painful. Maybe it's not, but seeing someone with a huge red rectangle across their belly looks painful. :|

But from looking it up, I find it's only meant for small areas of stubborn fat that won't go away even with diet and exercise. Not like a full-body "Freeze my fat off" treatment.

CuddleWoozle said:
Hm. Sounds somewhat more plausible then. (And really, when someone just says "I'm gonna freeze the fat off of myself!" it doesn't sound very plausible. XD Makes me wanna say "Well, crawl up in there with the ice cubes and see what you can do.")

But looking at some of the pictures...it looks kinda painful. Maybe it's not, but seeing someone with a huge red rectangle across their belly looks painful. :|

But from looking it up, I find it's only meant for small areas of stubborn fat that won't go away even with diet and exercise. Not like a full-body "Freeze my fat off" treatment.

Not ice cubes, they are literally inducing frost bite. So yeah, this isn't something that can be used all over.

It does make sense though. When you gain weight new fat cells develop, but they never go away. When you diet, you starve and shrink each cell but then each cells just sends more and more signals to your brain that you're hungry. That's why someone who has previously gained weight and then lost it needs to eat less than a normally thin person- both just so they can maintain their weight. By killing those fat cells, you are literally resetting your body back to a lower maintenance weight.

They had a woman today on the Kelly Rippa and Ryan Seacrest show on CBS, 10 a.m. this morning, and she had that very machine, which she used on one of their female staff members. The woman said exactly what others and myself have said. It freezes and destroys the fat cells which get assimilated and peed out. The painful part comes after the procedure. They have to massage or kneed your stomach afterward for it to work, and she said that could be somewhat uncomfortable. Like Maxx, I wonder how much fat it actually gets rid of and since it's a medical procedure, I'll bet it's very expensive.

Slomo said:
Not ice cubes, they are literally inducing frost bite. So yeah, this isn't something that can be used all over.

It does make sense though. When you gain weight new fat cells develop, but they never go away. When you diet, you starve and shrink each cell but then each cells just sends more and more signals to your brain that you're hungry. That's why someone who has previously gained weight and then lost it needs to eat less than a normally thin person- both just so they can maintain their weight. By killing those fat cells, you are literally resetting your body back to a lower maintenance weight.

You're talking to someone who lost around a hundred pounds by just changing what I ate. LOL So yeah, I understand how it all works. The 'Up in there with the ice cubes' was a joke, BTW. But also forgive me for not jumping at the chance to have someone freeze off fat cells. XD

-edit-

Also, been thinking about it, I wonder if there will turn out to be any kind of side-effects later on. You know how they do things like this..."Hey! ULTIMATE NEW MEGA FAT SHRED 9000! GET IT NOW!" And then a few years down the road there's those commercials for the class action law suits "If you had UNMFS9000 and have suffered an injury..." On the other hand, I did see something they're testing a patch that's supposed to flip the switch in your body's fat to burn fat instead of storing it.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/simple-patch-turns-energy-storing-fats-energy-burning-fats/

Interested in seeing how that one turns out, too. It sounds promising and not nearly as unpleasant as having frostbite induced. XD (I don't like to be cold!)

Last edited:
There's a commercial now advertising human growth hormones just for women, to have more energy and to lose weight. I'm expecting to see the class action lawsuit in about a year for that one as well.

You know, it's funny, but after we (that would be my doctor and myself) worked out that I needed a higher protein diet, I HAVE more energy and am actually losing weight again. Once I have a snack with protein, I am totally not hungry anymore. Even just a bite of jerky or a handful of nuts.

I was eating cakes and cookies and all manner of things because I was constantly ravenous. Apparently I was shoving food in and my body was going "OK, but NO. MOAR FOODS." And I wasn't picking the right ones. XD The doc and I are trying to figure out if I have low blood sugar and the diet is the way of figuring it out, but it's also having the secondary effect of me not constantly browsing on junk.

So maybe instead of getting injections, they need to take a look at what they're eating instead? I know people tell me "have some coffee" when I'm tired, but caffeine makes me go to sleep. Everyone has different needs for their bodies and one 'cure' isn't gonna work for everyone.

The diabetic exchange diet is pretty decent and backed by actual science. When I was on that I was losing weight and I was still getting pretty full. I was getting a little meat and lots of veggies. But it worked pretty good. Unfortunately it is more expensive to eat properly here.

CuddleWoozle said:
You know, it's funny, but after we (that would be my doctor and myself) worked out that I needed a higher protein diet, I HAVE more energy and am actually losing weight again. Once I have a snack with protein, I am totally not hungry anymore. Even just a bite of jerky or a handful of nuts.

I was eating cakes and cookies and all manner of things because I was constantly ravenous. Apparently I was shoving food in and my body was going "OK, but NO. MOAR FOODS." And I wasn't picking the right ones. XD The doc and I are trying to figure out if I have low blood sugar and the diet is the way of figuring it out, but it's also having the secondary effect of me not constantly browsing on junk.

So maybe instead of getting injections, they need to take a look at what they're eating instead? I know people tell me "have some coffee" when I'm tired, but caffeine makes me go to sleep. Everyone has different needs for their bodies and one 'cure' isn't gonna work for everyone.

Eating proteins instead of sugar and high carb food will help you to lose weight. There's Doctor Atkins who wrote a book and pushed a high meat/high protein diet. One has to be careful however as to how much protein they're ingesting because the kidneys have to flush out the residuals. That's why your doctor had you load up on vegetables and not just protein.

Maxx said:
It's not nutritionally that good for you. It works by fiddling with the hunger response. Proteins take longer to digest, unlike sugars which flood your system with glycogen, trigger immediate insulin response and leave you hungry again within minutes.

Yeah, gotta keep that balance! I'm still eating other things, just more protein to level out insulin levels.

CuddleWoozle said:

OMG, my diabetic wife is the same way! When she is hungry she can wolf down a loaf of bread with butter as snack. But a couple strips of beef jerky will fill her right up. Coffee also puts her to sleep too, which is so weird since caffeine is know for waking people up.

Slomo said:
OMG, my diabetic wife is the same way! When she is hungry she can wolf down a loaf of bread with butter as snack. But a couple strips of beef jerky will fill her right up. Coffee also puts her to sleep too, which is so weird since caffeine is know for waking people up.

Yeah...I may or may not have eaten an entire loaf of Italian bread once when I was depressed. It did NOT end well for me...it...uh...paid me a visit after about five minutes. Blegh.

I have heard the 'opposite caffeine' can be a sign of ADHD, but I don't know for sure. I've never been diagnosed with it. But a guy I work with told me that the only way he could get his ADHD son to go to sleep was to give him chocolate or something else with caffeine. And ten minutes later his boy would be out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back