How to deal with diapers in college

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotographer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
So this fall I’ll be starting college for the first time. It’s going to be a whole new exspirence. With that come some challenges I have to face. So the college I’m going to has a rule where I have to live on campus for my first 2 year there, which means I will be in a double for those 2 years. I know part of college is being able to be yourself and try new things but due to the close and not so private conditions. I don’t know if I should try and push off any diaper related things until I get a apartment where I can have some privacy or just be real secretive. I really have no clue what should do, as diapers are not going any where from my mind. The longest I have gone without wanting to wear was about a month so I doubt I could last 2 years.

So here’s what I came up with
I wear at night, something like a cloth diaper that would not make to much noise and can easily be hidden away and washed. This is the only practical way I can think of still wearing while in college. I won’t be able during the day because of bulk but I should be fine under the covers at night. If you have any further suggestions let me know. Right now I’m just thinking of ideas.

I'm currently in college as well. I've worn abu premium diapers to every class and have been just fine. So you probably could wear during the day. In the dorm you have a few choices. Not wear at all. Try to be sneeky and just be careful. Or just don't care that your roommate knows. Each has pros and cons.

be aware, eventually, your room mate will know. you cant live that close to someone else without knowing EVERYTHING about them.

ThePhotographer said:
So here’s what I came up with
I wear at night, something like a cloth diaper that would not make to much noise and can easily be hidden away and washed. This is the only practical way I can think of still wearing while in college. I won’t be able during the day because of bulk but I should be fine under the covers at night. If you have any further suggestions let me know. Right now I’m just thinking of ideas.

Keep in mind you'd have to rinse them every morning and wash them at least every other day, That's a lot of work not to mention you won't have any private laundry.

Ok so there are some more factors I need to think about then. Using the diaper is not that important to me, it’s more of a comfort feeling I like, so if I did go cloth it would cost me little washing as I would not be really using it. For the first semester I’m not going to bring anything diaper related into the dorm so I can get a feel for who my roommate really is. Who knows maybe I’ll get over my constant need to wear and be fine until I came home for the holidays.

Seeing how things are the first few weeks is a good idea. Trying to think you can go without diapers might be harder than you think. I had to go two years without and it drove me crazy.

OK! So I planned on making a post about this but you are in the same situation as me so here is some grand advice and back story.

I wrestled with the exact same issue as you. Just had my sophmore year of college wrap up and I spent it in a dorm room. My first year I commuted and then transfered to where I am now, and gave the dorm life a shot.

I made a post simuliar to you before I moved in asking the same questions. I planned on cutting out diapers completely but that is not possible. Its part of who we are will be with us forever. Eventualy I figured out that I could have diapers shipped to wear I was. Usually I did an instore pickup, but this time it was sent to me which was a really nice upside. So I got a nice little collection hidden that no one was going to find. So I thought.

Your roommates may not respect your privacy or things at all. Each of my roommates found out and told each other. I had no clue they decided to just go through my things without asking. I know they didn’t with the intent of finding them, but I heard them talking one day and he was just looking for a towel or something and BAM, he finds my diapers. So unless you have a car, its only a matter of time.

My roommates probably make fun of me behind my back now :/ think I’m a freak, but eventually moved away from it. It really sucked and made me consider quiting altogether (but I got money invested in this shit I can’t let go now!) And all jokes aside,lso it woukd not be healthy for me. Quiting a major part of yourself is very very painful and not the way to go about accepting who you are.

So if you decide too, know its only a matter of time! Wearing to class is a lot of fun and I’ve done it a few times, but seriously watchout, you expect people to not go through your things but they will. not looking for diapers but unless they are in a metal safe, they WILL stuble across them.

My advice, if you have a car, use that. If you are comfortable telling them, go for it becuase they will find them. If not go on a “break”

Good Luck!

Cloth would work, however, there is the fact of the public laundry rooms. It would also save cost and prevent build up of disposables. I may have a good idea for you, from personal experience, but will depend on your unique living conditions and roommate count (I believe you said you have one) and how much space you will have to place your things. I have had a large, hard plastic container that is on wheels and extremely sturdy, I believe it was about $60usd and made by Husky. It is very tough, has a collapsible handle, two metal latches, built in key lock, places for four more locks, and it rolls. Also, works as a table and good for moving lots of stuff in without bags or boxes, very sturdy and with extra locks and not leaving keys or combinations around, should serve very well for all manner of personal items and valuables, as it has for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I take that back, it was a Stanley box. This is an Amazon link for the exact one I have, I would totally recommend this to anyone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...=0NN3PA7XFS1VCNMVNM3R&dpPl=1&dpID=81coUfRkSVL

I became urge incontinent as the result of a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old. By the time I went to university, I was generally able to go without a daytime diaper so long as I could be sure of being able to get to a bathroom within 15 minutes or so when an “urge” struck. However, I required a diaper at night. After being accepted to attend, the university sent out a form asking all sorts of questions about medical history and whether any of the new students required any kind of special consideration because of medical condition. I told them the truth about my incontinence, and I was assigned a roommate that also had a medical condition requiring special consideration. He had mild cerebral palsy and was occasionally incontinent, especially at night. The dorm I lived in was composed of suites of 8 rooms that shared the same bathroom facilities. (This was in the days before co-ed dorms.) The other guys living in our suite found out about my and my roommate’s conditions, but they didn’t make that big a deal about. There was some good-natured teasing about my bedwetting, but not that much. I attended university in the 1960s when disposable adult diapers didn’t yet exist. So I wore cloth diapers and plastic pants, which I laundered on Saturday evenings or Sunday mornings when the laundry facilities were not being used by very many people.

I can pretty much only repeat what everyone is saying. You will not be able to just go diaper free for that long. You really should just wear what you need, and when you need to. And yes you should expect your room mate to find out, probably sooner than later.

As discussed elsewhere, claiming bedwetting (even periodic wetting) and being up front with it is the easiest way go about it all. If admissions knows then they can try to pair you up with someone else who will be ok with you being diapered. Or at the very least, just let your room mate know when you move in. I knkw it sounds hard and scarry to do that, but it's better than being caught or found out.

Cloth will be hard to pull off discretely in college. You should consider contacting someone in the dorm registration department and tell them you wear diapers to avoid wetting the bed and see if they can match you up with someone else that also does. There's a good chance a few others have already done this and in that case you can count on your roommate's discretion if you get paired up with a bedwetter.

Ok so I like the lock box idea. Also thanks for pointing out how hard it may be to use cloth in college. As for telling admissions/people in charge of dorms, I don’t know. That’s involving more people than I would like to know, and I would kind of feel bad that I’m luring about something just so I could get a room mate that did not mind me wearing diapers. And for some reason I feel like making such a request would bring my parents into this all, which I really don’t want. I’m probably over thinking this whole thing which I do’s lot since really accepting diapers as something not going away.
Has anyone actually tried to request a room with another person who wears diapers? I’m courious what you had to go through to do so.
Anyways that’s for the input everyone, I’m still working on my pros and cons list on this topic in my mind.

if you're 18 they can't discuss medical issues with your parents. (even if they're the ones paying for whatever) It's HIPPA and it's quite serious. Same goes for grades, parents can't call a school and ask for a legal adult's grades. (this can really piss them off, "WHO DO YOU THINK IS PAYING TOMMY'S TUITION! YOU TELL ME NOW!" - they get that a lot, so their response is drilled in pretty firmly by the time your parents call with the same questions and they will get stonewalled)

Ok them not finding out through the school is good, though if they come for a visit and want to see my dorm room it may take some cordination with my roommate. If I did contact the dorm people I still might feel a little guilty as I’m lying to wear diapers. If I had to guess a roommate who had bed wetting or incontience issues would not be as upbeat and cheery about his situation. If they found out that I lied about needing to wear as I found comfort in what probably caused them embarrassment they may not be happy.

Sorry if I sound so negative, I analyze everything and always seem to find the worst possible out come. I’m sure if I were to do this I would be perfectly fine and no one would blink. I may even make a life long friend.
Until I make a decision if I should contact the dorm service or try and be stealthy, I’ll plan on the lock box and small stash approach until I get a feel for my roomate. Though I do have 3 months to figure this out.

From a European perspective it’s absolutely crazy that universities in the US force their students to share a room together. I get it’s a totally different culture and it’s an ingrained part of college life (like Fraternities etc..) but it would be utterly inconceivable in the UK and most of Europe.

ThePhotographer said:
Ok so I like the lock box idea. Also thanks for pointing out how hard it may be to use cloth in college. As for telling admissions/people in charge of dorms, I don’t know. That’s involving more people than I would like to know, and I would kind of feel bad that I’m luring about something just so I could get a room mate that did not mind me wearing diapers. And for some reason I feel like making such a request would bring my parents into this all, which I really don’t want. I’m probably over thinking this whole thing which I do’s lot since really accepting diapers as something not going away.
Has anyone actually tried to request a room with another person who wears diapers? I’m courious what you had to go through to do so.
Anyways that’s for the input everyone, I’m still working on my pros and cons list on this topic in my mind.

Trust us on this. If you wear diapers at college- even only periodically- then other students will find out. That's a given. And when other students find out, the college will find out (administrators aren't dlind and deaf after all).

This is definitely one of those cases where it's better for you and everyone else around you, for you to head it off and just tell admissions. And as long as you stay matter-of-fact about it, as if it's been going on for a long time, then there wouldn't be any reason for the college to tell your parents. They would assume they already know after all.

See this thread
Thread: Plan on wearing 24/7 in College

Ok so I looked at the dorm web page for accomidations. It says that any housing accomidations that deal with any sort of medical matters require doctor forms and statements. I don’t know if I were to say bed wetting I would need to get these forms filled out. I’m reluctantly agreeing that I should let the dorm people know. I’ll say I have occasional periods of bed wetting, and would like a roomate who would not care if I had to wear some protection at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back