Northshore Supreme Vs. Abena Abri-Form 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMS401

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I searched but wasn't able to find the information I was looking for.

I love the NS Supreme diapers. Love them. They absorb a lot, they're a good value, and they wick like crazy. I drives me nuts when a diaper starts to leak before the wetness has permeated the entire pad.

But it's been a long time since I've tried the Abenas and people still talk pretty favorably about them. My last couple experiences--so long ago--weren't great and involved pinholes and khakis. I'll leave it there.

MY QUESTION: How do the Abena (level 4) compare with the NorthShore Supremes in terms of:
  • Capacity
  • Wicking
  • Tapes
  • Leaks

Thank you for your input!

NorthShore Supreme are most often compared to Dry 24/7 which is more absorbent than Abena Level 4, so comparing Abena Level 4 to NorthShore Supreme, NS wins in absorbency.

Not to say that Abena Level 4 is bad, they are still pretty good.

But 1 thing that needs to be mentioned is they seem to be getting made to lower quality these days, I hate when that happens but it happens with the more Incontinence focused diapers from time to time, I've also heard the same about Molicare Super Plus.

Thanks, BabyTyrant! Much appreciated. I was confident the NS were a better diaper but the price of the Abena was alluring. As for the Molicare Super Plus, the reports are true. What was once one of the best, most reliable diapers on the market are now a thin, useless, institutional diaper for little more than the lightest use. I was so sad to see that. I also got a bit angry that Hartmann would sully such a good product in this way.

-RMS

Abena just isn't what it used to be.

Capacity = half of nothshore supreme. Actually, probably less than that.
Wicking = Not as good as northshore, but still fairly decent.
Tapes= Worse for sure. Expect at least 1 out of 10 tapes to completely fail with Abena, or 1 in 100+ with northshore.
Leaks= Much, much worse. Partly because of the worse tapes and worse fit, but also because of their lesser absorption capability.

Thanks, Slomo. Sounds like I should stick with my favs, which is fine with me! NorthShores make me happy. :)

-RMS

Slomo said:
Abena just isn't what it used to be.

Capacity = half of nothshore supreme. Actually, probably less than that.
Wicking = Not as good as northshore, but still fairly decent.
Tapes= Worse for sure. Expect at least 1 out of 10 tapes to completely fail with Abena, or 1 in 100+ with northshore.
Leaks= Much, much worse. Partly because of the worse tapes and worse fit, but also because of their lesser absorption capability.

I agree with this 100%. I have a few bags of them because they are more inexpensive, but they are cheaper made, and if you are active, they end up leaking way before the back is used. It does wick, but the press out is more of a problem than with the NorthShores. I don't have tapes fail like that, but the "second chance" tape system doesn't work with a single one I have used. The blue tape that is under the removable white one peels back, causing both tape layers to stick to the padding, so any attempt at removal rips open the backing. The leak guards don't stand as tall either.

IMO, they are decent, but they don't last as long. I like them for the variety, so that's why I purchase them every once in a while.

Northshore Supreme all the way. M4s have been a favorite of mine for years but they just aren’t up to the standard set by what’s currently out there. The Northshore absorbs more, is more durable, and wicks like a champ! They are pretty much all I wear anymore.

I am going to toss in my $0.02 here. I have been incontinent due to spinal cord injury since 2002. Around 2004 I got the VA to start providing me with Abena X-Plus (now M4) since my incontinence is service connected. So I have been wearing Abena M4 as my go to 24/7 diaper for 14 years now. I can tell you that there are more absorbent diapers out there, and there are some that are better in other ways (taller leak guards, better wicking), but all in all I trust the M4. I can't remember the last time I had a tape failure or major leak with them. I have had an M4 hold when I thought sure I was going to leak, and I have had other diapers leak when I thought sure they would hold. They are not the same as they used to be, but they are still a very solid and reliable diaper in my opinion. Yes they have their limits, just like all diapers do. They are not the best for high capacity diaper play, or wearing if you are super hydrated and can't change for the next 12 hours, but for day to day wear with normal output, they are solid. Just my opinion.

I haven't tried NorthShore Supremes yet but plan on ordering some soon.

Have tried Abena L4s however, and from my experience they're good... But they leave some to be desired. I really don't like how much the padding clumps up when wet. Not the best, but not the worst either.

But take what I say with a grain of salt as the only "real" adult diapers I've tried are the L4s, Little Pawz, and Crinklz.

iowaincon said:
So I have been wearing Abena M4 as my go to 24/7 diaper for 14 years now. I can tell you that there are more absorbent diapers out there, and there are some that are better in other ways (taller leak guards, better wicking), but all in all I trust the M4. I can't remember the last time I had a tape failure or major leak with them. I have had an M4 hold when I thought sure I was going to leak, and I have had other diapers leak when I thought sure they would hold. They are not the same as they used to be, but they are still a very solid and reliable diaper in my opinion. Yes they have their limits, just like all diapers do. They are not the best for high capacity diaper play, or wearing if you are super hydrated and can't change for the next 12 hours, but for day to day wear with normal output, they are solid. Just my opinion.

I second this.

RMS401 said:
I love the NS Supreme diapers. Love them. They absorb a lot, they're a good value, and they wick like crazy. I drives me nuts when a diaper starts to leak before the wetness has permeated the entire pad.

But it's been a long time since I've tried the Abenas and people still talk pretty favorably about them. My last couple experiences--so long ago--weren't great and involved pinholes and khakis. I'll leave it there.

The plastic backed M4 has been my go to diaper for a little while and it's certainly not what it used to be and not the absolute best, but it's still a decent performing diaper.

Capacity isn't as high as the NS supreme but it's still decent enough to work as an alright daytime diaper. But, if you're a heavy wetter at night you might need a booster just to be safe.

The M4s fit me in a way I haven't been able to find in another diaper and they have a slightly higher waist/rise than the NS Supreme.
The plastic backing isn't as strong as the NS Supreme, but its not so thin as to cause instant tearing of the backing so I can wear it sorta snug at first. I haven't had any pinhole issues in a long time so that issue might be fixed. The backing also relaxes a little after a bit of time wearing it so it doesn't end up constricting anything(like when I go to bed I wake up with not many red marks around the legs)

The tapes are ok but not perfect because of how oddly attached they are to the wing, but 98% of the time they work for me and when
stuck on they hold on for dear life. Usually so much stick power that the backing under the tape or where it's placed or where it's attached to the wing is more likely to tear than the tape popping off.

The elastics are a bit odd. The elastics in the standing leak guards are prone to separate after some time if you use lots of creams and lotions which is lame.
The rest of the elastics of the M4 are fine though.

Everyone has different fits, feelings and preferences for what works. Maybe get a pack to gauge them again and see if they're something you might actually like or not.

Last edited:
Abena L4 were my go to diaper for a long time, and while there were some cost-saving measures, such as removing the waistband that did hurt the diaper's performance, for the most part the product stayed perfectly consistent over the entire span I was using them.

But that was part of the problem. Comparatively speaking they only get worse as companies like ABU and ConfiDry make better and better products than were out in Abena's heyday. And especially considering they've essentially killed the L4 as it existed as a plastic backed product everywhere but the US, I don't think we're going to get significant improvements on it in the future either.

They'll always have a special place in my heart, but I can't see myself going back to them unless ABU took a random nosedive or completely ran out of product.

After trying many brands including Northshore Supreme I’ve settled on Abena M4 plus a plastic pant as my nighttime protection. For me the M4 plastic pant combination is the sweet spot between cost per night and performance. Granted M4's occasionally leak, but it’s infrequent and generally contained by the outer pant. By the case an M4 is only a few cents over a dollar, much cheaper than high grade premium and abdl diapers. Additionally, and not a deciding factor, M4’s fit is perfect, as if they were designed specifically for me.

Wow, I can't tell you how thrilled and grateful I am for all the input! Thank you all. I've been logged out for a couple days and came back in to discover so many helpful posts!

As I suspected, it sounds like I should stick with my beloved NorthShore Supremes, which I sit in as I write this message. Good to know I made the right choice. :)

-RMS

I'm going to chime in here and say I started wearing the Abena X-plus (M4) 15 years ago. They are definitely not as good as they used to be. I've worn Northshore Supremes for over 3 years and during that time I've also tried at least 10 other abdl and non-abdl premium brands. I keep coming back to the Northshore Supremes because they fit me like a glove, have great absorbancy, stay together, reasonably priced and wick incredibly well. I wear them day and night.

Over the years, I've seen many other brands drop off in quality. I really hope Northshore never does that.

The Northshore mat is one of the most durable, holding together the longest. So I think they are the best for daytime when your active. I used to like the Molicares at night, but have switched to the Abena classic L4. I like the way they feel, and they are softer and fuller overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back