Will adult diapers ever be obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DprLuv85

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
With modern technological enhancements, the medical and pharmacology fields are ever-evolving. It got me to wondering...will the need for diapers ever be replaced by some kind of medical device or maybe drugs? I mean, I know there are currently devices like a catheter that are used during or after certain medical procedures or drugs that help calm an overactive bladder; but I wonder if there will ever be a cure for daily incontinence that doesn't require diapers anymore. Will diapers gradually be used less and less until the younger generations won't even know that they once existed unless they read about it in a historical sense? I can't imagine this could ever happen in my generation (I'm 32), but I could certainly see them getting harder and harder to come by. What if even baby diapers were a thing of the past? ABDL's would probably disappear...well, at least the DL part. How can something be a fetish object, if people are never exposed to it and didn't know it existed?

Of course, this is all hypothetical and may never happen. What are your thoughts? To be honest I'm having a very boring Saturday and had nothing to do but lounge around, watch tv, and think. Maybe it's time to put on a diaper...

They might very well be much different in the future from how they are now; but to disappear completely I don't think so.

There will most likely always be those with incontinence and also ABDLs, so adult diapers will always be around.

As for baby diapers, those will always be around too until something easier comes along.

I've seen one mom that has a really odd method to not use diapers (I forgot the exact method), but it's odd and would not be something most people would do, so baby diapers will remain until they get potty trained and so the baby diaper companies will keep making billions selling them.

I was around elderly people in a facility a couple of years ago and there's more than peeing in diapers, so no, I don't think they're going away anytime soon.

I agree that nothing much will change in the near future.

I also doubt that diapers being used by babies will change. I just can't think of anything that could replace diapers for babies.

As to the need for diapers for incontinence? Yes, I think our understanding of the body will someday eliminate incontinence. This may be through drugs, organ transplants or maybe nano engineering but I think it will eventually be done. Of course, I am sure it will not be in my life-time.

I hope diapers doesn’t disappear from the world in the future. If diapers no longer exist, then how do babies pee and poop in something else during their first three years of their lives?

I'm somewhat doubtful and hope they don't disappear, however improvements in diapers are a possibility absorbency might be improved etc. heck in the future we might all wear diapers :dunno:

Medical science will improve over time and will offer alternatives to some who suffer bladder incontinence either by better meds with no side effects or an artificial sphincter that will act the same as a healthy one. but for some diapers are the only real choice and will probably continue to be.
There may be a time due to land fill issues that diapers will only be available with a prescription, but some one will come up with a biodegradable diaper at some point in time (when its cost effective)

Also don't forget there will always be people who are mentally handicapped and need diapers

I have noticed that we are probably on our last or second to last generation of people who wore plastic pants when they were babies. My research has shown that a majority of the people who have a plastic pants fetish wore plastic pants in their past...I didn’t do a full blown study but have just inquired about this along the way so it won’t be writte; up in the New England Journal of Medicine or anything which leads me to the point I wanted to make which is that if you were to go 50years into the future and checked out some diaper fetish sites you would likely find very few plastic pants fetishists compared to today just like we likely see fewer today than we did 50years prior. Children today are put into pull-ups versus the thick bulky cloth diapers and plastic pants from before. Sorry this is so poorly worded I am trying to type this while soaking in the bath

Maybe, with ageing populations and the onward march of the ABDL community, ordinary underwear (and toilets) will become obsolete and diapers will be universal. Because of the shortage of landfill disposal sites, they would have to be reusable cloth with plastic pants, but I could live with that.

The only way is to make the materials so expensive that its cost prohibitive to make them OR Mandate that for all incontinence issues its forced cath for urinary incontinence and forced colostomy bags for fecal incontinence therefore eliminating diapers all together. Which I see is far fetched and borders on unconstitutional on its face! I would have to move to remote Northern Canada and become a hermit to avoid the medical mandates.

Perhaps the most likely thing is that absorbent technology will mean there will be regular looking underwear that functions as a diaper, i.e. can contain a full bladder.

For example, this certainly looks like a step in that direction...

http://www.philly.com/philly/busine...-absorbent-incontinence-walmart-20180322.html

Obviously would be a shame to lose genuine diapers, but if everyone wore underwear that functioned as alternative toilet facilities and thought nothing of using it, it would be kind of cool...

@ Stanfordgirl:

Some interesting points I've not seen enter much discussion here. Also consider that before there were vinyl (plastic) pants, we wore the classic cloth diapers and rubber pants; the two terms almost always used together. I wonder what (if anything) was used for containment 150, 200 or 300 years ago?

Last edited:
Not likely. As long as there are babies that need diapers, there will also be adults who need them as well.

Now will they be the same things we have now, possibly, possibly not. Who knows.

Will adult diapers ever be obsolete? Highly unlikely because there's always going to be a need for them plus people are living longer so more likely the demand for diapers will increase, yeah you can get catheters and stomas but they don't suit everyone, same goes for medication as well.

I do think diapers might change in terms of design/construction to remove oil from the production but only when the alternative does the same job, plus biodegradable diapers will be the next logical step, provided they don't breakdown when you need them most of all

I do think hospitals will phase diapers out entirely over the next few decades. The risks that they pose to patient’s skin and overall health is too great. Most medical centers are moving to alternatives such as absorbent pads that are placed beneath the patient that allow skin to breath. There are also some very interesting devices coming into the market. One is a a sponge with a piece of suction tubing running through it that is placed between a females legs. You hook the tubing up to a suction canister and whenever the patient voids the urine is sucked immediately away. Pretty cool!

With that said, I think diapers will always exist as there’s really nothing that an ambulatory person can use to fill their place.

Norcalabdl said:
I do think hospitals will phase diapers out entirely over the next few decades. The risks that they pose to patient’s skin and overall health is too great. Most medical centers are moving to alternatives such as absorbent pads that are placed beneath the patient that allow skin to breath.QUOTE]

I saw this in a hospital. They just let the patients do all bodily functions on the pad/sheet then go in and clean up the bed and the patient. Not easy when the patient is bedridden. Hats off to all the nurses and orderlies who do this day in and day out. :worshippy:

Andrewgdfw said:
@ Stanfordgirl:

Some interesting points I've not seen enter much discussion here. Also consider that before there were vinyl (plastic) pants, we wore the classic cloth diapers and rubber pants; the two terms almost always used together. I wonder what (if anything) was used for containment 150, 200 or 300 years ago?
I think mother's take their babies out of their slings. Babies pee every 15 minutes. Or in colder climates, mother's just put something absorbent in the sling and then clean it out from time to time.

Sent from my UL40 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back