Call it what it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
HR isn't management. The managers and supervisors aren't aware that I am incontinent, just that I have a medical condition that may require me to leave a post early. I.E I can't be reprimanded for being relieved from post early. Managers have nothing better to do than to write people up and keep the revolving door moving for various reasons. HR knows all the details in order to certify a reasonable accommodation. Thats the give and take. If you want an RA you have to disclose information to HR. The post was just more speaking to the fact that people don't call diapers what they really are but try to come up with alternate names. Thus what I was implying was to call them what they are instead of being creative for my interest.

Come on guys HR is a contradiction in terms. They are rarely either human or a resource. I liked it better when they were called "personnel". At didn't imply that they were something that they obviously are not. They do serve one purpose in my mind. They help define bureaucracy. Basically any organization big enough to have a group called HR is a bureaucracy.

howiebabe said:
Come on guys HR is a contradiction in terms. They are rarely either human or a resource. I liked it better when they were called "personnel". At didn't imply that they were something that they obviously are not. They do serve one purpose in my mind. They help define bureaucracy. Basically any organization big enough to have a group called HR is a bureaucracy.

Well with over 30,000 employees in the agency our HR department is called the Office of Human Capital. Welcome to the government, doesn't get much more bureaucratic than that.

My wife and I had a councilor years ago. He decided that we should refer to diapers as 'special underwear.' The idea was to make it easier to talk about what was, at the time, a fairly toxic subject. I get what he was trying to do but I felt even more stupid/embarrassed saying special underwear compared with just saying the word diaper!

"HR" can be many different things, depending on the company.

Sometimes it's just a workforce retention group, in charge of keeping the revolving door swinging because they have a large amount of revolving staff. (telemarketers) Other times it's a legal front line because the company has to proactively defend against osha or other medical / environmental complaints. (mining/manufacturing) But sometimes it's actually there as a service to the employees more than the company, to increase long-term retention and add value to the position.

Whether or not they're "there to help you" really depends on your job and where you work - it's not fixed.

bambinod said:
"HR" can be many different things, depending on the company.

Sometimes it's just a workforce retention group, in charge of keeping the revolving door swinging because they have a large amount of revolving staff. (telemarketers) Other times it's a legal front line because the company has to proactively defend against osha or other medical / environmental complaints. (mining/manufacturing) But sometimes it's actually there as a service to the employees more than the company, to increase long-term retention and add value to the position.

Whether or not they're "there to help you" really depends on your job and where you work - it's not fixed.

100% true. Our revolving door isn't actually the doing of HR, its the managers that have nothing better to do so if you ever get a target on your back they will hammer down on you. That's why for us it's important to exercise your rights and join the union.

xpluswearer said:
Da Boat! Da Boat!! sez the little midget from that show that escapes my fingertips! LOL They said Pier 39 the boat left from OOPS!

I think you mean Tattoo from Fantasy Island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babyblueblanket said:
HR isn't management. The managers and supervisors aren't aware that I am incontinent, just that I have a medical condition that may require me to leave a post early. I.E I can't be reprimanded for being relieved from post early. Managers have nothing better to do than to write people up and keep the revolving door moving for various reasons. HR knows all the details in order to certify a reasonable accommodation. Thats the give and take. If you want an RA you have to disclose information to HR. The post was just more speaking to the fact that people don't call diapers what they really are but try to come up with alternate names. Thus what I was implying was to call them what they are instead of being creative for my interest.
Last I knew HR can hire and fire at least in the companies I worked at they can serve as management most if not all are keyholders.

- - - Updated - - -

DLPJ said:
I think you mean Tattoo from Fantasy Island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BINGO MANY THANKS!

Am I being punished?

Str88jacketabdl said:
Why does HR need to know what kind of underwear you have on? Do females get question about there Kotex usage?

I agree, HR is Catbert the evil HR director!

Str88jacketabdl said:
Why does HR need to know what kind of underwear you have on? Do females get question about there Kotex usage?

I find it odd they get Kotex dispensers in the womens bathroom & the men get condoms! Why not Adult diaper dispensers huh? DISCRIMINATION!!! LOL

We probably have a biased average view on this, as forum members are likely to be people sufficiently comfortable with the idea of wearing and talking about nappies / diapers to call them by those names. There is surely a much larger set of people out there who wear them, but are uncomfortable with the whole idea and would rather call them anything else. Reasonably, the manufacturers pitch their product at the main client base using the preferred lingo. As with anything that anyone finds embarrassing to discuss, this is a slow euphemism treadmill where each new word in turn is at risk of being devalued and becoming pejorative.

Personally I find anything but nappies / diapers awkward. I don't wear protective undergarments; they might be undergarments but they don't protect me from anything. Certainly not from 'accidents' due to a 'sensitive bladder!'

I just outed myself to my front line supervisor last Sunday morning as I went off duty, as "having incontinence ishews" and needing "tabs" under my uniform. Wasn't certain I have a job the next night... Still here.😼

ESPF said:
I just outed myself to my front line supervisor last Sunday morning as I went off duty, as "having incontinence ishews" and needing "tabs" under my uniform. Wasn't certain I have a job the next night... Still here.��

The good news is they can't fire you for that. However, companies do like to find other ways to make life miserable if they are the vengeful type. Hopefully this isn't the case for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back