PeekABU Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hentaisensai

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I received my PeekABU's in the mail yesterday. I've worn three so far and I have a couple thoughts (opinions) on them.

I love the new feel of them. They're even softer on the inside, and the outside is silky smooth. It's great.

The capacity is obviously improved, but more importantly, they seem to wick better than the rest of their line.

I did have a tape come unstuck from the wing on the first one I wore, but I'll chalk that up to a bad manufacturing on that one (hopefully).

Now, here's my rub. The fit is... different. For me, they fit oddly. I have a 32 inch waist, so I got the mediums. I feel like they "fit" 2 inches smaller than the Space/LittlePawz/etc. I'm not sure if this is due to how they are cut or what, but it's odd.

Other than the weird fitment issues, I love them. I'm going to try the large size next time and see if they fit more "true" to the medium size of their other premium diapers.

Let me know what you guys think. Maybe I'm just an outlier and they fit everyone else perfectly.

Last edited:
Well the BareBums have the same/similar "problem" in that per size they fit a little smaller so I had to order those in a size Large instead of Mediums (which I'm finding i don't really fit into anymore, except for Mediums in Dry 24/7s); there should be a listed size range for the PeekABU just like there is for their other products; and if so that would show you if they have a smaller fit or if it's just how they fit you.

The listed size range for both the Space and PeekABU in medium is 31-36 inches.

Thus my conundrum as to why they feel like they fit smaller, when it appears that they should not.

hentaisensai said:

Thus my conundrum as to why they feel like they fit smaller, when it appears that they should not.

Maybe it has to do with the different materials or w/e it is that makes them more absorbent while also being thinner that leads to a different fit in the same (listed) size.

Yes the leg gatherings and cut are both quite different; very interesting finding.

I've only gotten to wear one for a few hours but the first thing I noticed was how much lower the landing zone is compared to where the front waist band is located. They have a much lower landing zone than any diaper I've tried before. I'm not sure if this is intentional or I just got a few from a misaligned batch. It does make the fit of them a lot different.

They seem a bit too thin in my opinion. But, they hold up well. I think I would prefer the Little Paws instead.

Honeywell6180 said:
They seem a bit too thin in my opinion. But, they hold up well. I think I would prefer the Little Paws instead.

I don't mind the "thinness" as they do expand considerably when wet. They definitely cause waddling when wet.

hentaisensai said:
I don't mind the "thinness" as they do expand considerably when wet. They definitely cause waddling when wet.

Well, the expansion is not important to me, as I am not enthused with leakage, although I am sure some folks enjoy it. I would prefer something more substantial, and comfortable. And yes, this would mean "thick". These are great when you like their looks, but it appears that the Dry 24/7's and Better Drys offer more of a practical value, without looking excessively medical with weird colors. I have found that the Lavenders seem to have a nice fit, and are a little more affordable. With SDK's being similar, I would like for those to come in soon. I'm hoping that ABUniverse can start working on having a consistent stock on hand.

I've tried one so far last night and thought it was great. Fit is definitely a bit different, but comfortable for me with the mediums for a 31" waist. Absorbency was great, I more or less tested them at the same limits as littlepaws and when I expected to have some leaking around the leg gathers, the peekaboo instead got really thick and squishy but didn't leak at all, which was great! I'm very pleased, though uncertain if the cost difference is worth it compared to Little Pawz. I'll probably stock some and use them for very long diaper days or if I want to be diapered and go to bed wet and drink a lot before bedtime.

Honeywell6180 said:
Well, the expansion is not important to me, as I am not enthused with leakage, although I am sure some folks enjoy it. I would prefer something more substantial, and comfortable. And yes, this would mean "thick". These are great when you like their looks, but it appears that the Dry 24/7's and Better Drys offer more of a practical value, without looking excessively medical with weird colors. I have found that the Lavenders seem to have a nice fit, and are a little more affordable. With SDK's being similar, I would like for those to come in soon. I'm hoping that ABUniverse can start working on having a consistent stock on hand.

I think you're misunderstanding them. They start thinner, but expand a lot and have significantly more absorbency than possibly any other diaper on the market. The fact that they start thinner has to do with a difference in materials, you will not do better than Peekaboo for avoiding leakage (assuming the overall fit is good for you of course).

I'm not referring to diaper leakage. I was talking about bladder leakage. I could get just as much use out of a Bambino Bellissimo as I could these, because my needs are more moderate. And I do use a facility when I can. Little Paws will start out thicker, but won't expand like a balloon.

Honeywell6180 said:
I'm not referring to diaper leakage. I was talking about bladder leakage. I could get just as much use out of a Bambino Bellissimo as I could these, because my needs are more moderate. And I do use a facility when I can. Little Paws will start out thicker, but won't expand like a balloon.

Fair enough. Peekaboos are definitely at the point where if you're not going to wet them at least twice, probably three times or more, you'd be better served wearing a different diaper. They shine only for very long wear with lots of accidents.

I jyst cancelled my Simple Ultra pack order, mostly because processing was taking way too long. :(

Those PeekABUs look promising. The tape positioning is a big improvement, and look like they could actually give a snug fit all the way around the legs now. It's no wonder they aren't leaking as much.

Slomo said:
Those PeekABUs look promising. The tape positioning is a big improvement, and look like they could actually give a snug fit all the way around the legs now. It's no wonder they aren't leaking as much.

Fruitkitty's pics were very informative. The tapes have moved (uppers down a bit, lowers down a lot), slight change in the padding shape (so a different die there) although hard to tell if the shell changed shape. Different waistband elastic too. Definitely not just a reskin of their simple/space/paws diaper. Lowering the bottom tapes should have reduced the size range an inch or two, so I'm surprised they're still marked as the same size range. (though I didn't see FK's tape measurement comparisons to see if the shell got a little bigger)

and I just got an email from ABU... woohoo, my peek-abu diapers have shipped! no tracking number or even note of what carrier, let alone an expected delivery date, but yay, padding on the way!

I suppose if I'm lucky it'll arrive on Saturday. Wish I knew what carrier they shipped with, or had a tracking number.

Wow after looking at those pics I think I’m going to have to do the bambinod method for the 1st one, pre tap the bottoms and tops then pull the diaper up to see how it fits me then snug the tapes down for tightness

hentaisensai said:

Since the new PeekABU are supposed to be about 35% thicker, the added thickness of the absorbent core would naturally make them fit snugger by an inch or two. That's often overlooked in sizing charts. Some companies only look at the outer dimensions, which in this case would be the same.

NorthShoreAdam said:
Since the new PeekABU are supposed to be about 35% thicker, the added thickness of the absorbent core would naturally make them fit snugger by an inch or two. That's often overlooked in sizing charts. Some companies only look at the outer dimensions, which in this case would be the same.

I thought they were supposed to be 20% thinner?

eddy200 said:
I thought they were supposed to be 20% thinner?

Sorry, I missed that. I'd be very surprised if they were thinner with absorbency up to 6250ml. Seems like they'd have to be thicker and substantially heavier to reach that capacity...which seems to correlate with them feeling snugger, but who knows. Those that have received already could provide a more accurate assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back