PeekABU Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hotdog55 said:
Is the wing different in any significant way? Or anything else that stands out? This is odd. Maybe it was just a bust package?

The cut of the diaper is different, so maybe there is more tension on it now because of that? This could cause the glue to come unstuck if it's not rated to hold up to the new load.

I'm going to reach out to ABU customer support to let them know so they're aware. I'm not bothered much by it since I can just change into another diaper, but I'm sure not everyone is as forgiving.

hentaisensai said:
The cut of the diaper is different, so maybe there is more tension on it now because of that? This could cause the glue to come unstuck if it's not rated to hold up to the new load.

I'm going to reach out to ABU customer support to let them know so they're aware. I'm not bothered much by it since I can just change into another diaper, but I'm sure not everyone is as forgiving.

I wonder if anyone else is having that issue.

Hotdog55 said:
I wonder if anyone else is having that issue.

I'm hoping that this thread sparks some others to speak up if so. I know that the amount of people who've received their PeekABU's is limited right now, so I'm waiting patiently.

hentaisensai said:
I'm hoping that this thread sparks some others to speak up if so. I know that the amount of people who've received their PeekABU's is limited right now, so I'm waiting patiently.

Well I'll keep boosting it with you :)

mine are on the truck for delivery today :)

Saw I got a delivery notice, so I had to run home on my lunch break. Got one on now and I gotta say the fit works well for me. Very comfortable...we'll see how well they perform :D

JustinDB87 said:
Saw I got a delivery notice, so I had to run home on my lunch break. Got one on now and I gotta say the fit works well for me. Very comfortable...we'll see how well they perform :D

Let us know!

Just about to try my first one on, but first some observations:
- the shell feels softer than ABU's other diapers; it's still smooth plastic but I like the feel better!
(It's possible the shell itself isn't any softer than Simple, and that it just feels softer due to the change in the padding, but it really doesn't matter either way)
- the front tape panel seems to be heavier, almost like a sheet of vinyl, it must be very durable. (I may just be getting tricked by the contrast with the softer shell though)
- on the front on the right is "ABU" in a star, but on the left, there's a "9" in a star; it's on all of them, not just one of the pictures, any idea what "9" signifies?
- length and width are both two inches shorter than a standard ABU large shell size, so these will size a tiny bit smaller
- there's a "wetness channel" of different padding down the center of the crotch that goes up the front and into and spreads out a little in the back
(this may be on other ABU diapers, but this is the first I've noticed it)
- front and back waist elastic seem a little more springy than usual?
- padding (when dry!) does seem to be a little thinner and lighter than Simple. These only weigh 6.9oz, paws and space are around 7.8oz ea.

other than that they appear pretty similar to a Simple with a sticker on it. Tapes, leak guards, leg elastic, everything else looks about the same

They claim the Large fit 37-42", but it looks like it would fit quite a bit larger than that. (though not much smaller!) So if you're borderline, order smaller.
(5" of waist size difference is only 2.5" per tape... that's a silly small range of tape movement!)

bambinod said:
Just about to try my first one on, but first some observations:
- the shell feels softer than ABU's other diapers; it's still smooth plastic but I like the feel better!
(It's possible the shell itself isn't any softer than Simple, and that it just feels softer due to the change in the padding, but it really doesn't matter either way)
- the front tape panel seems to be heavier, almost like a sheet of vinyl, it must be very durable. (I may just be getting tricked by the contrast with the softer shell though)
- on the front on the right is "ABU" in a star, but on the left, there's a "9" in a star; it's on all of them, not just one of the pictures, any idea what "9" signifies?
- length and width are both two inches shorter than a standard ABU large shell size, so these will size a tiny bit smaller
- there's a "wetness channel" of different padding down the center of the crotch that goes up the front and into and spreads out a little in the back
(this may be on other ABU diapers, but this is the first I've noticed it)
- front and back waist elastic seem a little more springy than usual?
- padding (when dry!) does seem to be a little thinner and lighter than Simple. These only weigh 6.9oz, paws and space are around 7.8oz ea.

other than that they appear pretty similar to a Simple with a sticker on it. Tapes, leak guards, leg elastic, everything else looks about the same

They claim the Large fit 37-42", but it looks like it would fit quite a bit larger than that. (though not much smaller!) So if you're borderline, order smaller.
(5" of waist size difference is only 2.5" per tape... that's a silly small range of tape movement!)

The "wetness channel" is intriguing. Gonna have to see/find out more about what you mean.

These things really do swell up big time...performing like a champion so far...the plastic is indeed very smooth, but can still be very crinkly and loud at the same time...the only downfall I've experienced so far was the tapes. They hold well...very very well...so much so that evidently the lower tape on my right side tore itself from the wing...guess I'll have to not tape it as tightly next time lol.

- - - Updated - - -

bambinod said:
It's supposed to represent a size, kinda like how baby diapers go up to a size 7....mediums are 8's, larges are 9's, and XL's are 10's.

JustinDB87 said:
These things really do swell up big time...performing like a champion so far...the plastic is indeed very smooth, but can still be very crinkly and loud at the same time...the only downfall I've experienced so far was the tapes. They hold well...very very well...so much so that evidently the lower tape on my right side tore itself from the wing...guess I'll have to not tape it as tightly next time lol.

- - - Updated - - -

It's supposed to represent a size, kinda like how baby diapers go up to a size 7....mediums are 8's, larges are 9's, and XL's are 10's.

Did your tapes tear off the wing, or did they come unstuck from the wing?

hentaisensai said:

I've been wearing this one for a few hours now and no, the tapes have not failed.

However, I did run into a major issue. The tape panel is 2 3/4" down from the front of the diaper. I didn't notice this on first inspection because this isn't an issue with any diaper I've ever seen, so I wasn't looking for it. This is over an inch farther down than say, a little pawz. One more inch may not seem like a lot, but it makes a pretty big impact when trying to tape up, especially considering the diaper is already 2" shorter to begin with. It also snugs up the diaper tighter in the crotch, cutting off drainage.

I finally gave up on the top tapes being on the tape panel and attached them completely off the tape panel to get a good fit. I think I'm going to shoot ABU an email, this is either really bad design or a manufacturing error. It's quite bizarre seeing a diaper's size being limited by its length rather than width.

Venesha said:
I've only gotten to wear one for a few hours but the first thing I noticed was how much lower the landing zone is compared to where the front waist band is located. They have a much lower landing zone than any diaper I've tried before. I'm not sure if this is intentional or I just got a few from a misaligned batch. It does make the fit of them a lot different.

When I first read that comment I didn't understand what you were talking about, but I get it now!

Last edited:
hentaisensai said:

My tape completely tore off the wing...the tape itself was still on the taping panel...I'm just convinced I taped it on too tight.

JustinDB87 said:
My tape completely tore off the wing...the tape itself was still on the taping panel...I'm just convinced I taped it on too tight.

Top or bottom tapes? (or both?) If you're attaching the top tapes to the tape panel, you're not really using the waist elastic to cushion the elastic at all. Try attaching the tapes directly above the tape panel and see if that improves your fit or the tape survival.

Morning-after thoughts:

- capacity is definitely improved. I wet a lot more than I expected to last night. Considering the weight of the diaper in the morning, it'd be wet to within an inch of the back padding if it were a space, and yet this one had a good 4-5" of dry padding still in back. Amazing!

- as mentioned earlier I had to attach the top tapes completely off the panel, but then the fit was okay. Drainage was fair, but again as advertised, these diapers wick really well and so there were no problems. I didn't think to move the lower tapes up much though, and had a slightly tighter fit around my legs than I normally would so that may have helped with leaks, will have to see if moving the lowers up causes problems tonight.

- I absolutely love the soft shell/pad on these diapers! It vastly improves the feel of the diaper when dry AND when wet. They do swell quite a lot too, but it appears very similar to their Space in that regard. Crinklz/betterdry still wins when it comes to swelling, but those diapers start out much thinner to begin with, so by morning PeekABU is still going to be wider in the crotch. And unlike say Safari/Bambino, it's not a "squishy/mushy" swell, its more like Crinklz, with a very firm swell. Can confirm waddle ;)

- The front tape panel though is unfortunately pretty stiff, and was beating up my wrists pretty good by morning. It's cute and all, but I really wish I had a bag of them with NO tape panel, just to try. I'd prefer to keep the single-use tapes, I can figure out where to put them and don't need to be moving them around overnight, I just want something that fits well and is comfortable. (the double use tapes tend to get pokey on my wrists too, so I think no tape panel and single use tapes is the best combination for comfort)

- the "back corners" where back-sleepers tend to get leaks seems to have a very short distance of unpadded shell, that's a kind of a "safety zone" for leaks. Diapers with a small safety zone seem to be a lot more at risk for leaks there for me. But despite this, as I said earlier, no leaks last night. Then again the bottom tapes were kinda tight, so we'll see how that goes when I move the tapes.

I wonder if I can heat-gun the front panel off and cover the stickyness with saran wrap as a test?

So last night was my first night wearing these and something interesting happened. I guess halfway through the night, I wet my diaper. Now to date, I've never had an authentic bedwetting where I go to bed dry and wake up wet, having no recollection of having done the deed. The closest I've come have been random instances where I'm half asleep/half awake and I go...last night was one of those instances. When I woke up this morning I had to double check myself to see if it had really happened lol...that's how out of it I was...almost felt like a dream...maybe my subconscious was letting me know all was good to "go" lol....anyway back to the topic of the PeekABU's...these things are incredible. They're extremely comfortable and they soak up like a dream. In addition to going in the middle of the night, I decided to flood them before getting up for work. Even after that, the entire back of the diaper was still dry and rest of it didn't feel overly damp at all. I felt bad taking it off lol...these things are definitely a great product from what I've seen and experienced so far.

Well, do enjoy your PeekABU’s, everyone who got them! I was unfortunate enough to have my package of samples “delivered” by USPS, though it clearly never made it to me. The USPS already assigned a case and investigated it, but concluded that their carrier definitely delivered it at the stated time nearly a week ago. I for one trust the USPS about as much as Depends—that is to say, not at all—but according to ABU’s stated (and admittedly fair) policies, there’s really nothing to do except suck up the $15 and be sad.

It’s very odd, too, because I’ve never lost a package at this address before. My mailbox is not exactly ye olde rusty bucket nailed to the dead spruce at the end of a quarter-mile driveway in Bear Dance, MT, nor is it in a, ahem, dicey location like East St. Louis. It’s in a well-kept apartment complex in a nice neighborhood of a major US city, and falls under the jurisdiction of at least two separate local police forces. One doesn’t expect packages to be stolen, so maybe it was an honest mistake on the part of my neighbors… And yet I don’t really feel comfortable tracking down every one of them and asking them each if they’ve seen a small package of “medical supplies”—AKA oversized diapers with appallingly cute animals printed on them. (Not exactly the way to build neighborly relations, IYKWIM.) If it WAS a mistake, no one has tried to put the package back where they found it, either…

I guess the most salt-inducing part of this for me is that it’s been such a long wait for these supposedly amazing products; first it was December 2017, then February, then March, and finally April when we were supposed to see them. I preordered within the first 24 hours of their availability and waited as patiently as I could for the things. And I get that they really are available now—it’s just unfortunate that the postal gods clearly don’t want me to get them.

I suspect nargles are behind it, personally.

Nargles? Perhaps, I’ll checked with my cat and he confirmed that one of his nargles is on a classified mission to MT, no other words except for a hiss

SirGorbachev said:
Well, do enjoy your PeekABU’s, everyone who got them! I was unfortunate enough to have my package of samples “delivered” by USPS, though it clearly never made it to me. The USPS already assigned a case and investigated it, but concluded that their carrier definitely delivered it at the stated time nearly a week ago

Been there, done that. Your package was most likely delivered to the wrong address. Possibly to the right house number on a different street. This has been a chronic problem for me, and I'm on a "non-permanent route" that gets different carriers all the time, so it's not just a carrier-specific problem. The USPS is the only delivery service at this point that doesn't have a GPS on their datapad, to record where a delivery was left. Their data pad DOES record if they make the delivery, they have to scan the package bar code and tap Delivered, but it doesn't record where they were when they scanned it. So here's how the investigation goes: "Gary, did you leave that package at 1313 Mockingbird Lane?" "Yep sure did!" Case Closed! seriously, that's how it works.

EVERY time you call the 800 number they will try to ditch the blame. They tried that on me more than once, but guess what, I have a wildlife camera on my porch and can prove the carrier never made the delivery. You either have to have that or a postmaster at your location that will get involved. Otherwise "our carrier said he delivered it, and we never make mistakes, so he MUST have delivered it to your house. You have a stolen package, contact the police and file a report. Good luck good bye!" That's what they try to pull on me. It's rule #1, "never admit guilt".

Don't bother with the 800 number. Go to your post office in person and talk with the postmaster. I get a lot of packages (I order stuff on the internet a lot) so I know the people at the front counter very well and have had many talks with the postmaster. He's aware of my circumstances, and knows what sort of errors on their end can cause bad deliveries. My most recent experience, I got an email notice saying my package had been delivered. When I got home, nothing there. No mail in my mailbox even. No recording of a postman all day. Called the 800 number, same BS, "Our carrier says he delivered it so that's gospel truth, your package must have been stolen, call the police". Called my postmaster. He's a great guy, he got in his own personal car with the carrier that did my route, and they drove to my house. Carrier (thankfully!) says "oh, that doesn't look like the door I left the package at..." Postmaster knows just what to do next. They drove to adjacent blocks on both sides of me, and within 15 minutes found my package, three blocks away, at the same house number, still leaning against the door. (also thankfully the people that lived there hadn't gotten home yet!) This was after I had called the 800 number and they told me to go pound sand. (and the shipper had not insured the delivery...)

Then after much research, I found a solution. It's a bit inconvenient, but 100% effective. Go to your post office and ask for a "leave no unattended packages" form. They'll hand you a sheet that you have to sign. It's good until you cancel it. (or they lose it...) What it says is they are not allowed to leave packages (non-letters/postcards) unattended. It must be handed to someone. They'll knock on your door, and if you don't answer, they're not allowed to leave it on your porch. They're required to then leave a pickup note (similar to how they do for "signature required" deliveries) and take it back with them to the depot. You could either sign the note (allowing them to leave it unattended) or give it a day to make it back to the main office and go pick it up yourself. Basically it's as good as making EVERY package you receive be "signature required".

I still get occasional packages left at my address, most of them left in (or stuffed into) my mailbox, and a few bigger ones left by my door. BUT here's the kicker. If they DO say they delivered and it's not at your door or in your mailbox, it's not your problem because they mis-delivered it. Now it's their responsibility to chase it down, not yours. Normally when packages are left at your door, ownership is transferred to you. But with that order in place, ownership is transferred when they place it in your hands (or you sign it over on the pink slip) So if they "abandon" a package somewhere, even at your door, they're still on the hook if it disappears. Since it's not "your" package yet, they have to call the police and file a report if they think it's been stolen :) This does wonders to motivate them to find your package. (also sidenote: refunds go to the SHIPPER not the RECEIVER, so they will handle the claim with whoever sent you the package, you won't receive a refund or replacement from the post office - basically the shipper paid them and has the contract for service with them, not you, so they don't have to interact with you AT ALL if they don't want to)

But as I said, I still get bad deliveries from time to time. I get my neighbor's mail, they get mine. I've had people come from blocks away to give me packages left at their door, and I've taken packages houses or blocks away that were mis-delivered to me. The point here is to prevent them from worming away from taking responsibility when a package goes missing. A cheap trail wildlife (deer) camera is a good idea too though, "porch bandits" are becoming more common - people that see a delivery get made at a house and steal the package. If they take a box off your porch, it's a local theft. If they take a package out of your mailbox, its a federal crime. Postmen and postmasters take this surprisingly serious, and the criminals seem to know it, so they tend to leave packages alone that are in mailboxes because that will get the feds after them. (unless the postman stuffs them in, they can't be seen anyway, whereas a cardboard box leaning on your door is a much more tempting target for theft)

I still get a lot of padded envelopes left in my mailbox, about 15-20% of my orders. The rest I get an orange pickup slip to collect them the next evening at the post office. It all comes down to carrier training I think, and my route IS used as a training route, so owell. But at the end of the day, they can't make their delivery problems MY problem. And I'm much less worried about small items being stolen from my mailbox because of the federal angle. It's the bigger boxes left sitting by my door or on my porch in full view of a busy street that worry me. Leave No Unattended Packages has cut my package count down to around 5% of what it was, and that 5% they have to go hunt for now if it goes missing. It's quite a relief. I still use the wildlife camera, but it's more of an entertainment to show the gals at the counter the bozos still leaving packages in my mailbox when I'm there to pick up a package. They often recognize the carrier, and I think they get the word passed around that someone's screwing up.

Just got my case, and wow these are perfect!! My wife helped put me in one before bed last night and the fit feels so good and they swel a lot, but are stealth for when you go out and very silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back