Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of dropping a hint to my boss, what do you think?

Default Thinking of dropping a hint to my boss, what do you think?

So, my boss gave me these old POS iMacs to do my work on and I've been thinking of buying a new one for myself and to get my work done a little quicker. Should I drop him a few hints about he needs to upgrade or just plain out see if he'd help pay for a new one. My dad was like, yea ask him, that's what you're using it for. To get work done for him. But I'm a bit not wanting to. I don't think I should. What's your opinions?

BTW, he's spent ~$15,000 per Mac Pro he has and he's got 3 of them and a shit load of monitors, etc. (8 per machine) lol.

I think it would be a good idea. Even if he doesn't use your advice at least you offer some and offer a fresh view.

I just need to figure out a way to drop the hint now. Should I email him or wait til I go back over there to pickup work?

I'll take those eMacs, lol.

Anyway, I'd tell him "Hey, these machines aren't cutting it for my work anymore, was wondering if you could spice them up a bit?"

If not, don't buy yourself your own Mac, buy Mac-like parts and build a hackintosh system.

Shit, I forgot about hackintosh XD. Yea, I'll defiantly do that if he doesn't buy em. But right now I'm LOVING synergy. It'll help me until he says yes lol.

Just the other day I was working on a project and the mac literally gave me the wheel of death for about 3 hours before I said fuck the work and rebooted. God, I now know to save every 10 seconds on that thing lols.

I don't see what could be wrong in hinting it, just be like "Hey, these old computers aren't up to it anymore. We should upgrade to increase productivity." Getting new computers is an investment. You do work faster to earn better money. Just my 2 cents =]

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    So, my boss gave me these old POS iMacs to do my work on and I've been thinking of buying a new one for myself and to get my work done a little quicker. Should I drop him a few hints about he needs to upgrade or just plain out see if he'd help pay for a new one. My dad was like, yea ask him, that's what you're using it for. To get work done for him. But I'm a bit not wanting to. I don't think I should. What's your opinions?

BTW, he's spent ~$15,000 per Mac Pro he has and he's got 3 of them and a shit load of monitors, etc. (8 per machine) lol.
    I don't think it is likely to hurt. How old are these machines anyway? CRT era?

It's the old 1.8ghz iMacs from like late 1999 or something. And then an eMac lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    It's the old 1.8ghz iMacs from like late 1999
    OOOOOOOOH, fancy. Anyway I would just take it to him directly - he may take offence to 'hints'

Just out of interest, what work is he getting you to do on them?

If it's something fairly simple, then I can understand him only supplying an older machine; but if you're doing graphics work, or something processor intensive, then you have a good reason to ask for an upgrade!

I still have my old G4, and it works just fine for some things like web-browsing, writing, and iTunes, but I wouldn't try to use it for any major graphics or video work!