Nintendo vs Sony vs Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Which is the better game console company to you, how would you rate their impact on the gaming industry, and which system do you think has the best games?

I like both Sony and Nintendo and don't care for xbox that much and feel they haven't made a big impact on the gaming industry; meanwhile Nintendo has made huge impacts on the gaming industry and rule the kid/family friendly portion of the market.

Sony has had a slew of exclusive hits that have impacted the gaming industry and became classics.

Sony also seems to have the biggest variety of exclusives games, but Nintendo is always good too, Xbox again is dead last.

Xbox needs more then just Halo, Gears of war (which I think is done) and Forza.

I think its kinda sad Xbox fanboys don't know how much they are missing out on that Sony has and they never will.

Option 4: PC.

It supoorts the most games by far, and allows for easy modification of most games too.

Slomo said:
Option 4: PC.

It supoorts the most games by far, and allows for easy modification of most games too.

Yeah; but it's easier for most people to just go into console gaming and a good gaming PC can be quite expensive and necessary depending on what games someone wishes to play.

And people may not necessarily care about the modifications either, they might just want to set up the system, pop in a game, and play it.

BabyTyrant said:
Yeah; but it's easier for most people to just go into console gaming and a good gaming PC can be quite expensive and necessary depending on what games someone wishes to play.

And people may not necessarily care about the modifications either, they might just want to set up the system, pop in a game, and play it.

I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan myself (read: Pokemon and Zelda) but I've kinda recently jumped on the PC bandwagon. You don't need a good, dedicated gaming computer to play most PC games - that's only a necessity for playing very top-tier, demanding games when you've set all the graphics to the most extreme setting. I've been using the same mid-range Dell laptop for the past six-ish years, and I can still play every game I've ever tried to run on it. Most of them are low-memory indie games, but I can also run things like Skyrim and ESO with little problem.

Whereas if you want to keep up with the latest console games, you have to keep buying the newest system. I bought the Nintendo Switch (a system which I do admire), a carrying case, and a screen cover, and I've only used it to play the new Zelda game. That's the single most expensive videogame I've ever played.

I personally own all three of the consoles (and I have a gaming PC I built) at the moment and enjoy the consoles and games from all three companies. If I could only choose one company it would definitely be Nintendo, I think they have had the single biggest impact and still have such high standards even today. Nintendo is about the only company I'm even willing to pre order from anymore, they definitely make mistakes but generally their games are very fun and high quality with almost no bugs day one. I think Breath of the Wild is the single best gaming experience I've ever had, it truly made me get the feeling of playing a video game for the first time all over again and it was a fantastic game from start to finish. I also really enjoy my PS4 and my Xbox One, Uncharted is one of my favorite series and Forza is definitely one of my favorite series of all time.

I think Sony is building a legacy of having strong exclusive games coming out every year; they may not always be from game developers that you have heard of or be in series you are familiar with, but you know with Sony you will have no shortage of great games.

One of the best things IMO with both Xbox and Playstation these days is the free games you can get if you have an online membership; and so far Sony has given some great games from free to anybody with a membership the last 5 or 6 months.

It's hard to think Xbox will have any kind of legacy in the gaming industry if all they can keep as exclusive is Halo, Gears of War, and Forza.

I think the question is poorly framed. If we solely restrict ourselves to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, then Nintendo by far has had the greatest impact on the gaming industry.
The introduction of the NES in North America pulled the industry out of the abyss made by the Crash of 1983. It took some time, but it's nearly undebatable that without Nintendo's unexpected entry into console gaming (seriously, over a century making playing cards and now they make consoles?) the video game market in North America would have remained in the slow, poorly advertised computer market. Arguably, Nintendo's internal stable of IPs is also the strongest of the three. This is a bit harder to support since Sony and MS got into the game market so late in the game (PSX was contemporaneous to the N64; X-Box was game generation as PS2 and GCN), so there hasn't been as long for those properties to be tested. Still, I'd argue that the fact only Halo, of all the X-Box titles, is still going strong is pretty indicative. And can anyone actually name an IP from the PSX Era that's still a going concern? (I'll argue Squenix doesn't count as they're pretty cross-platform these days).

If we restrict it solely to the current generation (and how THAT gets defined is a different argument), then I don't think any of the three have clear superiority. Nintendo has lost market share with the "Hardcore" gamers, but has replaced that revenue by strongly embracing the "casual" demographic. Microsoft has some strong exclusives, but some of the software requirements for the X-Bone are frustrating and limiting. Sony's PS4 is pretty much the PS3/2/X with more power and features.

If we're REALLY looking at companies that had a disproportionate impact on the gaming industry, I suggest taking a long look at Atari and Nolan Bushnell.

Well if Atari/Nolan Bushnell had such a big impact how is it Atari and Sega are no more (other than whatever is left of their Original IPs that went to other systems) and have been out of business for so long.

As for PS games that are still around since the original playstation, of course there are none as the gaming industry has changed so much and a lot of the original games are based off a different platform/style of game that is extinct these days

BabyTyrant said:
Well if Atari/Nolan Bushnell had such a big impact how is it Atari and Sega are no more (other than whatever is left of their Original IPs that went to other systems) and have been out of business for so long.

Well without Atari there wouldn't be a console gaming market. It's hard to argue it gets much bigger than that in impact, even if the competitors that followed in their footsteps eventually overtook them, those competitors would never have existed were it not for the Atari 2600. And Sega defeated Nintendo's dominance in the industry after the Video Game Crash. The NES literally revived the gaming industry, and is itself very much a claim to fame in its own right, but Sony and Microsoft literally wouldn't be in the game at all were it not for Sega. Sega proved one could be a competitor to Nintendo and set up the model to do it, further, after the breakdown of the Sony partnership with Nintendo, it was Sega that housed their gaming development(much to their own chagrin once the Playstation came out, but still) and kept their development afloat. Further, Microsoft first started out in the home console market making a version of Windows that would run on the Sega Dreamcast, and a lot of the Dreamcast development is what actually became the original XBox, it's why a lot of the early games for the console were either ports of Dreamcast games, or games that had originally been planned for release on the Sega Dreamcast.

What screwed Sega, and Atari too for that matter, were the holes they dug themselves in on the business side of things, both of them were in deep, deep, financial straights so when their most powerful tech came out they needed a huge splash hit to stay afloat. Whereas Nintendo was always better financially managed so a dud like the Virtual Boy or the Wii-U was never going to sink the company, and moderate successes like the N64 and Gamecube could actually still turn a profit for the company. But that doesn't discount at all the impact that Atari and Sega had on the industry as a whole.

BabyTyrant said:
tldr; Maux's covered it pretty well
From this response I'm going to posit a few things:
1) You didn't look into Nolan Bushnell or Atari at all
2) You're judging impact solely on the current state of affairs
3) That impact and success are synonymous and equivalent

BabyTyrant said:
As for PS games that are still around since the original playstation, of course there are none as the gaming industry has changed so much and a lot of the original games are based off a different platform/style of game that is extinct these days
This sounds to me like you're not actually familiar with the PSX, its library, and game design focused on video games. About the only currently popular genre that wasn't represented by titles from the PSX era would be MMORPG. That was mostly a technical limitation; MU* and Ultima Online already existed.

So, let's examine my claim: I pulled Forbes list of the top selling games for 2017:
TitleGenreComparable
Call of Duty: WWIIFPSMedal of Honor
NBA 2K18SportsMadden NFL '96
Destiny 2Action RPGDiablo
Madden NFL 18SportsMadden NFL '96
Legend of Zelda: BoWAdventure RPGThread of Fate
Grand Theft Auto VSandboxGTA III
TC Ghost Recon: WildlandsFPSTC Ghost Recon
Star Wars Battlefront1/3PSSyphon Filter
Super Mario Odyssey3D PlatformingGex
Mario Kart 8Arcade RaceCrash Team Racing

Huh, look at that - all 10 game can be matched to PSX titles.

I think the question you're TRYING to ask, but communicated very badly, is "Of Sony/MS/Nintendo, who has the strongest current library and the most impact on the current market?" With those restrictions, I'd argue you'll have to break it down into segments to really make judgements. Nintendo has the portable and casual markets locked-down, pretty much undebatable. Microsoft is showing the edge in m-player and FPS, but Sony dominates with RPGs and sports titles. As far as impact goes, Nintendo isn't pushing for game-changing revolutions; MS and Sony are pretty much moving in lockstep.

So basically Atari is attributed with popularizing video gaming inside the household; with simplistic games like Pong or games based off of Pong.

You could argue to Nintendo was gonna come along and popularize video gaming in the home with or without Atari ever having existed in the first place.

Its clear to see why Atari went out of business; how are you gonna compete vs Mario, Legend of Zelda, and etc with Pong/other simplistic games not based off of that concept?

And Sega was mostly bringing arcade games into the home with probably their most known game still alive being Sonic.

So in essence, yeah they helped popularize video gaming in the beginning; but have little impact in video gaming as it currently is.

Video gaming in the current sense was pushed into being by both Nintendo (for more casual and kid/family friendly gaming); and Sony for the more realistic and hardcore gaming.

Xbox had a few good exclusive titles, but eventually all except for only 2 that are still around have moved on to being on Sony as well, and some even on Nintendo.

And yes the vast majority of those games are on PC regardless; but the vast market share I think is focused more on Nintendo; Sony; and Xbox as it takes time for something to become more mainstream and it's only been the last probability like 2 or 3 years where you could get a very good PC for a really affordable price.

It's pretty fair to say you could break up video gaming into decades

1970s saw video gaming start being a household thing (although for the longest time it was "mainstream" and would of been considered "nerdy")

1980s saw Sega and Nintendo come around; Sega largely bringing Arcade games into households and Nintendo blazing their own way with unique IPs they still hold sacred and keep to their own systems.

1990s you had Sony (I think PSX was released in 94) with their own style and brand of games you couldn't find on Nintendo

2000s, finally you see Xbox coming into existence (04 or 05 I think), they basically had garbage for games and their only good original game from back then that stuck around (AFAIK) is Halo, which I don't even get why people like Halo so much, I tried the first few and they were overly simplistic and unoriginal.

2010 onward you see games becoming HD and evolving in some amazing ways with Sony still largely keeping their IPs away from the competition

just now you see Nintendo getting some original PSX and onward games, most notably Crash Bandicoot trilogy and soon Spyro, which are also both going to Xbox.

I think Xbox probably would have failed except for huge funding from their connection with Microsoft and also Xbox fanboys are blinded into thinking Xbox is amazing, even without any good games (unless you really like Halo or Forza).

Also a lot of people got Xbox just because their friends got it and people like to play with friends above random strangers.

My preference is Nintendo. I like how you can take your switch with you wherever you go and can charge it with your tv. The only reasons I have a PS3 are final fantasy and Blu-Rays. I feel that Nintendo makes games that are way better than Sony & Microsoft.

I enjoy all the platforms. Mostly PC and Xbox One these days. PC is for games like World of Warcraft and Divinity Original Sin 2 and RTS games. Xbone is for titles like Monster Hunter World and a few others.

I play PS4 and Xbox One nowadays.

PC has been my favorite ever since I build my first rig. The graphics are great and all but the real benefit in my opinion is not being limited at all. You can mod to your heart's content (assuming it's single player) and you aren't confined to a mouse & keyboard, you can easily plug in an xbox one controller and it will work out of the box in most modern games. If not, there is always a way to make it work. Before PC I was a big fan of the playstation 3 but unfortunately when I borrowed it to my dad for him to use netflix on since I barely played it, I had it returned with the yellow light of death problem on it :( still hoping I can fix it, but I need to buy a heat gun for that. It's such a bummer because it can play my entire playstation library, not just ps3 titles. Sometimes I really miss littlebigplanet <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back