NBC Live Jesus Christ superstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjoy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Anybody else watching the NBC Live production of Jesus Christ Superstar right now? It's pretty great. Honestly, first time I've seen a production that wasn't nearly entirely an all white cast. I'm pretty happy with it.

Edit: Alice Cooper is King Herod! So much yesssss!

Last edited:
I watch the 1973 original every Christmas and Easter and it is a very multicultural production.

Nam Repaid said:
I watch the 1973 original every Christmas and Easter and it is a very multicultural production.

You're totally right! I was unfamiliar with the original, to be honest, and have only seen stage productions and televised live productions. Thanks for pointing that out, I really will enjoy watching the original.

That Andrew Dice Webber is a hell of a guy.

Maxx said:
I was a little disappointed by Alice Cooper. To be fair, he's getting kinda old. Maybe he wasn't physically able to really get into it.

I agree that Alice Cooper's performance wasn't stunning, but I still enjoyed it. Herod's part has always been one of my favorites.

I'm sorry if I upset anybody by "bringing race into it;" 'twas not my intent! I can see why my initial post could come off as subtly confrontational. I sometimes have trouble getting across my intended meaning when I'm not able to type as quickly as I can think, e.g. when I am posting from my phone rather than from my computer.

I do get very excited by portrayals of Jesus by actors of color, and I personally believe that I have every right to feel that way. I don't think anybody else has to share my feelings on that; I'm not trying to start an argument, just sharing what's going on in my head!

Maxx said:
Another reason I think cell phones are one of mankind's worst inventions. Great in theory, but in practice they will be our downfall.

Hmm, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. My poor post on a forum, along with all the other miscommunication I've ever experienced due to cell phones, are a small price to pay for the technology to call an ambulance when someone has an emergency and nobody's around, or a friend when I'm depressed. True, I could call from a landline, but that would involve having a home, and being at said home when the moment strikes. Cell phones are a lot cheaper than houses! Of course, I'm sure you had more in mind than just my one poorly-worded forum post, and if you'd like to elaborate, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Maxx said:
Do I object to diversity? No. I just have a different view of it. When you're trying to get things done, diversity is an obstacle to be overcome rather than a goal to strive for.

I understand what you mean by diversity being an obstacle rather than a goal, but I think this is one of those things that is subject to change over time. My own small neck of the woods in the northeast of the USA is becoming more diverse (as are most parts of the US), and I completely sympathize with people's desires for racial representation in the media, and especially for accurate portrayal of race when it comes to dramatic adaptations of real-life events, or fiction in which race was specifically mentioned. (I know that last sentence was unclear, but I can elucidate it with examples if that would help my point get across.) The reason (for my belief) that diversity as an obstacle/goal changes over time is different (in my mind) for dramatic portrayals of fiction than it is for fictional portrayals of reality, respectively, but the main overarching reason is that I believe if we push for diversity now, there will be no need to push for it in the future as it will come naturally, without effort.

I think there's a very interesting, informative conversation to be had here, and I'm very interested to hear your side of things, if you're willing to PM me and share. I know that I tend to jump to conclusions about people quickly when it comes to touchy subjects like this, and I have to admit that I've already made some minor knee-jerk assumptions about your views that are very likely not true, and I imagine that many people do the same. Perhaps you already have made assumptions about me, because of my mention of race and "Black Jesus", and the above ramble on diversity. I feel like we both could benefit from hearing where the other is coming from, but I'd personally be more comfortable keeping that exchange to a private channel (especially since this conversation, if publicly continued, would belong under "mature topics," I believe), and, being new here, I don't know how to send a PM, or even whether I can at this point!

So if you'd like to continue this conversation, feel free to, and if you're already done with this conversation, that's fine, too. I can understand why my long, rambling explanations might put you off of further discourse with me, and I will not take offence if that is the case!

Last edited:
Maxx said:
As for cell phones, a fantastically versatile tool, misused and abused by far too many, and ironically, a significant contributor to the isolation and depression of many.

View attachment 30713

I 100% agree with this.
Common ground is a nice thing.

Also, I love that fortune cookie photo you recently discovered. I am currently majorly procrastinating; I should be preparing for a job interview at 8am tomorrow morning, yet here I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back