Status
Not open for further replies.

intfusmil

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I've often wondered about the psychology behind liking plastic-backed diapers. Many of us in the community seem to favor this style and I was curious as to why.

The obvious answer is that it reminds us of a younger time but I don't know if that's entirely true. For one, I don't have much expression of being an AB, two I was born in the 80's and don't really remember what I wore at that age but everything in the modern style is a printed-cloth(like) fabric.

Even if there is some deep seeded affliction to wanting to be little, I almost exclusively wear plastic-back. I have no reason to, I used to argue the outer layer made them more absorbent, I don't have any plastic or texture fetishes so what gives??

Obviously there's a lot of layers here so what do YOU think it is? What do you favor? Have you ever thought about why?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I like many others on here definitely favour plastic backed diapers. Also, much like you, I don't really have a thing for plastic or latex. I've tried wearing plastic pants over my diaper, but it feels a bit too much.

The simplest answer as to why I prefer plastic backed diapers is that I wore plastic backed diapers when I was a baby and every time I was around a cousin or a new baby in the family they were either wearing a crinkly plastic backed diaper or you could easily find plastic backed diapers around the house. Also, whenever I watched TV as a kid and an ad for diapers or a movie starring babies came on, I was reminded that plastic backed diapers are what babies wear. Raising Arizona and Look Who's Talking in particular had a lot of diaper scenes that drove home plastic backed diapers as the preeminent baby diapers at the time. So, for me, plastic backed diapers were what I was exposed to and I guess I just associated plastic backed diapers with infancy from an early age, simple as that. So naturally, when I wanted to go back to being a baby, I had to have a nice crinkly, buttery smooth, nursery scented, plastic backed diaper around my rear.

I am sure that had I been born closer to the 00's, I might not have come to associate plastic backed diapers with babyhood, after all, there have been babies in the family recently and they certainly don't wear the bulky, white, cartoon covered diapers I grew up surrounded by, their diapers are flimsier, thinner and cloth-backed. If I had grown up surrounded by cloth backed diapers, I am sure I would have a preference for them, just like how many AB's born before the advent and widespread use of disposables have an affinity for cloth or prefold diapers.

I am pretty sure that I only wore cloth diapers as a baby, but my preference is plastic backed disposables (Dry 24/7).

Plastic are better for odor containment, and they don't sag as much as cloth backing. Plus I like to crinkle a bit as it reminds me that I am diapered and I am ok with it.

(I have to wear 24/7 for incontinence)

I'm. . . Different. It feels like, "Here a zebra, there a zebra, I'm surrounded by zebras, and I don't even get to be a duck! I'm an ADISC platypus!"

I like cloth, real, normal feeling, quiet, non-tattling, cloth! I wore plastic backed as a baby, and a kid. It's always hurt my ears, and felt stiff. Those sensory issues, coupled with other things, is part of what convinces me I'm autistic. Pair sensory defensiveness, with wrong/bad/no other choice, and. . . Yeah, trouble. Been put off by it ever since. Plastic makes me hurt, a painful feeling, right in the middle of my chest, sometimes down to my knees. I'm disabled. My life has been, more punctuated with, than taken over by, IC. As a child, if my life was punctuated with a bit of poop or pee, plastic was it, all there was to put me in.

One day, when I was about 5, I had surgery, a cast up to the top of my hips, and down to the toes on each foot, with a big bar separating my knees. My legs made such a big A, I couldn't fit in the bathroom, or maybe it was just I couldn't sit on the toilet, but, because I was too big for the kid's disposables available then, and too small for the adult ones, cloth showed up. Thank you, Father! I praise you for that day!

Sorry, anyway, it was very confusing. Being expected to use diapers, felt like, "You want me to what? Okay, whatever. Wait. . . Why the hell aren't you mad at me? Don't you know you're supposed to be mad at me? You usually are! You're lying! It's not okay! It's not okay, and I'm gonna use it, and something bad's gonna happen! Don't make me think it's coming, and not do it!"

Yeah, very confused. Something about that experience gave me the impression that cloth was easier to use, and less likely to get me in trouble. So, the reason most like plastic, "It's what I wore as a kid," is the reason I can't stand it!

Last edited:
Well if you value your furniture, Clothing, Car seats, other peoples property, public and intercity transportation property, Library chairs Doctor office furniture Hotel furniture etc etc. You would be thankful you are in a plastic diaper. If you are in a clothed backed disposable forget about having any sense of dignity at all. Sure Cloth (Cotton) diapers may be a viable second option for some they have one big flaw they do not stop the liquid from destroying everything in their wake, so here comes the plastic pants to the rescue. somewhere somehow plastic comes in handy. Even your cath products are plastic so sorry you cannot avoid plastic if you value yourself and everyone around you. Just my half a cents worth of opinion here only.

xpluswearer said:
Well if you value your furniture, Clothing, Car seats, other peoples property, public and intercity transportation property, Library chairs Doctor office furniture Hotel furniture etc etc. You would be thankful you are in a plastic diaper. If you are in a clothed backed disposable forget about having any sense of dignity at all. Sure Cloth (Cotton) diapers may be a viable second option for some they have one big flaw they do not stop the liquid from destroying everything in their wake, so here comes the plastic pants to the rescue. somewhere somehow plastic comes in handy. Even your cath products are plastic so sorry you cannot avoid plastic if you value yourself and everyone around you. Just my half a cents worth of opinion here only.
Right, but I was interested more in the psychology of favoring plastic. All good points, apparently I was right on my absorbency theory! [emoji846]

xpluswearer said:
Dude, it's called polyurethane laminated polyester! If we value? Really? Polyester is plastic, I know, but, it doesn't feel like plastic backing, or sound like it, or hurt me, or anyone, or anything, else. Like I said, there's even a layer of polyurethane on the other side, so, guess what. Waterproof. Yeah, I value those things. It's just not necessary to hurt myself, in order to keep them safe. If one leaks in cloth, he or she is new to it, clueless about avoiding leaks, or both.

The clothlike back on most disposables is a very thin, nonwoven plastic fabric, and, under it, is a thinner version of the same plastic backing on plastic backed. I do find that a bit emotionally better, but, I see your point. The reason so many nursing homes prefer cloth like backed is, skin sheering off if touched too roughly. It happens with pressure sores, too. Also, I think they find dementia patients don't take them off as much, because they feel closer to normal for them.

Last edited:
The feeling of a plastic backed diaper, combined with the plastic shell being colorful such as blue or pink and having a warm pee and a big poop in a diaper, makes me turn on a lot.

I feel plastic backed is more of a turn on from the feel of it. As a DL, that is important to my association with wearing. Yes, I grew up when plastic backed was all that was available. I believe my parents used cloth with a plastic pant for a good portion of my younger years. Cloth backed are more comfortable to wear, no doubt. But I wear because I want to feel it on me. That is part of the desired sensation. I don't want it to feel like underwear.
Plus, for me, it definetly holds up better, allows almost no scent when used and feels so nice to touch it when on from the outside.

It feels nice. The crinkle is also a factor. Smooth plastic also catches light in a way that clothlike covers don't. I think it's probably a combination of what many of us associate with babies growing up and then tactile sensations similar to latex and rubber kinks. They meet in this interesting way.

There are also other under lying conditions, whether you remember vividly being used on you, or witnessed another child going through it, the sense of hearing the plastic crinkle, the sense of smelling that babyish perfume and generally a lot good memories of childhood, it all plays with our general psyche

They keep me drier and don’t sag as much as cloth backed. I also like the crinkle as well

It is both a tactile and auditory trigger for me.

The feel of the plastic as it gives with the absorbent materials can calm me or run up the response scale to the point of inducing an orgasm.

I don't know why the sound of a plastic diaper triggers me as it does but the physical and psychological response is strong. It may be as simple as being an auditory reminder that I am wearing a diaper, which simply makes me happy and provides me with a sense of security.

As far as I can figure out, people develop fetishes regarding objects that are somehow "unusual" in their tactile stimulation. Sure, it's possible to have a t-shirt fetish, but PVC, rubber, latex, balloon, and diaper fetishes are probably more common.

So, because cloth-like diapers feel more... clothing-like, maybe they're less likely to result in a fetish...?

Part of the thrill of diapers is that they are somehow "unusual" or give rise to lots of sensory input. Maybe the more unusual input, the better for some of us...?

Or maybe it's because most of us grew up in a time when we saw a lot of advertising for plastic-backed diapers? I wore terry cloth as a child, yet I much prefer plastic-backed disposables as an adult.

i was born at late 70s when plastic backed pampers ruled the world but my mother decide something better for me
The first two years of my life depending by the season she changed the fabric
i wore pampers the winter and some hand made cloth like with a very thin plastic pants the summer
As the years passed by she could manage my bed wetting issues with the classic plastic pampers until
i have stop bed wet at the age of 11.i was always a skinny boy so pampers could fit me well.
At the age of 14 i decide to help my family's finance so i started to work as an electrician the morning
and continue my studies at a technical school the evening,Unfortunaly a year later i had a serious accident
in the construction that ruined my bladder.So back to diapers again.i can still remember the first day in
the hospital,My mother changed me after the surgery,in cloth like diapers that she made and plastic pants
cause it was summer,For the winter i used to wear the old plastic tena ,
Nowadays i still prefer the plastic backed style cause for me works better, when im working i dont'' chase ''
my diapers into my pants ,i leak less and the plastic backed became more breathable

Because plastic backed diapers actually work. They are also thin (compared to reusable cloth), and much easier to dispose of.

The cloth like disposables are not fully waterproof, especially on the sides. They stretch and sag, and have limited absorption to begin with. Not exactly the kind of diaper an incontinent person needs.

intfusmil said:
Right, but I was interested more in the psychology of favoring plastic. All good points, apparently I was right on my absorbency theory! [emoji846]

A lot of it is tactile memory. The smooth slightly rigid feel of plastic shelled diapers meshes well with what I think of about wearing diapers.

Definitely a cloth diaper baby. I have some cloth that i put on from time to time. Disposables are a lot easier from the beginning which is why i went that way plastic backed only.

intfusmil said:

Well That's kind of the point. I love plastic backed diapers for mostly logical reasons not psychological:

* Tabs work better and stay where they are (Velcro tabs are crap and never stick)
* After about an hour or more the so called "cloth" outer balls up and creates little strands of plastic sometimes which fall off making the nappy feel cheap and of low quality. It may not affect the absorbency but quality is always important to me.
* "Breathable sides" make me sweat more in my opinion. Think of it like this, which would be quicker to dry a damp cloth sheet or a PVC bed sheet? The so called breathable sides hold the moisture instead of repelling it like plastic and thus causing more perspiration.
* The cloth texture is not soft ironically. I don't know why babies who are changed multiple times a day get soft outer cloth nappies but the cloth adult ones who some have to wear for 8 hours without a change ( e.g. Tena, Molicare, Depends, Abena) are all rough and unpleasant to touch. Would you want to wear underwear that wasn't soft? The plastic ones are soft and smooth.

All of these are more practical reasons why I like them rather than psychological. If these issues were addressed I can see myself thoroughly enjoying cloth backed nappies. Other reasons that are psychological that I like plastic backed nappies:

* Crinkle sounds (makes it more babyish although that is debatable as even cloth backed nappies can have a certain crinkle to them)
* I wore plastic backed diapers when I was a young child. So it adds to the idea of regression.
* The look of the folded nappy just "looks" more appealing or more nappy like to me. The plastic gives it that slight extra something that acts like a certification of authenticity to me.

Crinkle factor, for me... Still, I wear in stealth, mostly, so finding plastic backed stuff isn't all that important, but when I'm wearing a plastic backed diaper, at home, I love to hear it! It just reinforces who I am, and what I'm wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back