Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How is Obama doing so far?

Default How is Obama doing so far?

Noticed that this forum has a lot of American users so was wondering how you think he is doing so far?

To be honest I would be interested in what the none US people think he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I am View Post
    To be honest I would be interested in what the none US people think he is doing.
    I haven't read too much about him in the news over here other than the new U.S policy regarding Afghanistan. He seems to be having a steady start after the hysteria over him being elected. I was impressed with his speech in regards to Afghanistan and his recent work in trying to dissolve the 'anti-America' feeling among the other Americas.

soren456

I too would greatly appreciate the opinions of non-US members. Please do post your thoughts here.

But to answer your question, I supported him, did some work for his campaign, and I'm happy with him so far. He is more a centrist than I expected.

I am very happy to see him addressing so much that has been ignored or swept under the rug. I feel like the country is back on the right track.

I think he will be considerably blunted by the ideologues who now behave like dogs in the manger.

I would give him a provisional A.

EDIT: I'm especially pleased (and relieved) by his efforts to change the face of the US in the world, to show, among other things, that we're not a nation of smirking, strutting jackasses.

So I'm especially curious how our non-US members receive these efforts.
    Last edited by soren456; 04-May-2009 at 15:04. Reason: Added info.

Regarding the fact that he's black (or mixed race as I've read), I think that shows progress for the U.S.A. From what I can see and read here, racism is a major problem in America and having a non-white president can help towards changing attitudes.

Mako

America's economy is starting to stabilize which helps my country out alot. We've managed to avoid most of the major negative effects of the recession so far. And if america is beginning to recover we may coast through it with barely a scratch.

The other big thing is Afghanistan, the renewed focus makes me extremely happy that Obama is giving the support in the southern provinces where the european nations refuse to go.

I wouldn't really call him a great president yet he's not as bad as Bill Clinton yet at least. However right now I just can't stand how he always need's a script/teleprompter and when it stops for some unknown reason he has to stop as well.

I am just thankfully he is less liberal then Nancy Pelosi. I haven't even seen her do anything about the problems here in California, though I guess that's actually a good thing.

As for him being black, that won't make him a good president at all. We all been taught that humans are all equal regardless of their skin color, hair color and eye color. So I never made a big deal about him being black, since it isn't a big deal to me. Really why should it be?

As a non-US person: I'm mildly encouraged, he's a definite improvement on the last guy but it's still early days.

He was always going to be limited in what he could do compared to what people expected of him but that's politics. He built a tremendously effective but completely unrealistic campaign and I've always thought that he was never going to be anything like as radical as a lot of people were hoping/fearing.

Deciding to close Guantanamo and reneging on some of the previously permitted 'interrogation techniques' that have been used in the so-called War on Terror was a very important symbolic tone-setter, which will do a world of good to his world image although there is still an awful lot of work to do in that area. I also like that he has a generally less close-minded approach to diplomacy when compared to the 'black and white, with us or against us' nonsense of the last administration. I'd say he is broadly on the right path in extraordinary economic circumstances - or at least not on the wholly wrong one, which is something - but it's very hard to judge at the moment. In the long run though, I think what will make or break him is how he tackles healthcare reform which has been overdue for the last couple of decades and is an incredibly difficult and delicate issue in the states.

I do think he's dead wrong on Afghanistan, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I wouldn't really call him a great president yet he's not as bad as Bill Clinton yet at least. However right now I just can't stand how he always need's a script/teleprompter and when it stops for some unknown reason he has to stop as well.

I am just thankfully he is less liberal then Nancy Pelosi. I haven't even seen her do anything about the problems here in California, though I guess that's actually a good thing.

As for him being black, that won't make him a good president at all. We all been taught that humans are all equal regardless of their skin color, hair color and eye color. So I never made a big deal about him being black, since it isn't a big deal to me. Really why should it be?
    Let me clarify that I don't think him being black will make him a good president. I just think it helps to fight racism in America. It should, as you say, help teach that humans are all equal regardless of their skin colour, hair colour and eye colour.

Looking outside the endless churning hysteria engine of the US media (my disdain for both liberal and conservative US media outlets knows no bounds...), Obama has had a relatively stable start. He hasn't been mocked by HIGNFY yet, which has to be a positive sign, especially considering how often hapless old Dubya was a target of their jokes. ;D

With the G20 summit and the slight refocussing of foreign policy, he seems to be establishing himself as a level-headed moderate who is more open to international co-operation than his predecessor. Let's hope he keeps that up!