Incontinence winter vs summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebabyboy12

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Being new to incontinence and only experienced diapers 24/7 out of need in winter. I’m curious to others opinion. Which is worse wet diapers in the winter or summer? I can speak to winter and I hate the feeling of a cold diaper on my skin. It’s irritating and very uncomfortable. To the point where I want to change into a dry one even though the diaper isn’t full. Please share your thoughts and opinions.

Generally I don't notice a wet diaper so much unless it's getting stinky or clumps up, it doesn't get cold as it's held close to the body and stays warm. Perhaps a better quality diaper or a snugger fit would help with that?

During the summer I'm more prone to diaper rash from chafing around the legs, but thats about it as far as differences for me.

Thanks for the response Iacutah! It’s when I’m out side for an extended time in the winter when I notice it. I use NorthShore Supreme Diapers. So quality isn’t an issue in my opinion. Summer time will bring different issues I’m sure including increase chances for diaper rash.

FWIW, I've been experi ncing my first summer in nappies. I've had one meltdown, which was a few weeks ago, when the temp here reached about 42c. Just too hot and sticky, trying to change at home, nothing going right, and I broke down and cried.

Plastic pants were hard to get on and off in the heat. When they did, i was mostly ok, but lots of sweat down there, smells, wicking through the cloth-backed disposables.

The heat was also a good reason to mope about the house wearing nothing but a nappy, or a nappy and PUL cover, having arvo naps in the air conditioned bedroom wearing nothing but a nappy, cool air wsftingnober my legs.

I've had a couple of episodes of localised nappy rash.

I've found sleeping the summer time rather hard, it gets so dang hot and humid down here (houston, tx). It didn't make much difference to use the cloth backed disposables. I had to break down and buy an a/c unit for my room. Now no problems!

Everything is hot and not so fun here in the summer so I just try to stay inside blasting the a/c during the day >u<

Wearing in the winter is by far my favorite and imo the best time to wear.
Not a lot of sweating and feeling that hot dampness when its cold, plus the extra padding I like to have helps keep my bum warm when I sleep :biggrin:
In the winter you can bundle up all you need to keep warm, but in the summer you can only strip down so far to keep cool.

Plastic backed diapers and diaper covers here in Las Vegas during the summer is generally a pretty unpleasant experience for me.
I've used breathable briefs(Abena M4 Premiums) during the day in the past and it does help a little, especially keeping cool while out and about and when sleeping.
But the downsides of breathable diapers are there still and are enough to keep me sticking with plastic backed diapers. It just gets so hot sometimes it doesn't make too much of a difference when out and about and it lets more odor out, plus I would mostly just end up leaking in bed because I'm a side sleeper and it has breathable sides.
And wearing a diaper cover while out or in bed kinda defeats the point of having a breathable diaper, making the "breathable" part useless :p

The car is usually an inferno and even at midnight around mid summer it would feel like it's still 90F or so at night outside.

Jonnythepony said:
Everything is hot and not so fun here in the summer so I just try to stay inside blasting the a/c during the day >u<

Wearing in the winter is by far my favorite and imo the best time to wear.
Not a lot of sweating and feeling that hot dampness when its cold, plus the extra padding I like to have helps keep my bum warm when I sleep :biggrin:
In the winter you can bundle up all you need to keep warm, but in the summer you can only strip down so far to keep cool.

Plastic backed diapers and diaper covers here in Las Vegas during the summer is generally a pretty unpleasant experience for me.
I've used breathable briefs(Abena M4 Premiums) during the day in the past and it does help a little, especially keeping cool while out and about and when sleeping.
But the downsides of breathable diapers are there still and are enough to keep me sticking with plastic backed diapers. It just gets so hot sometimes it doesn't make too much of a difference when out and about and it lets more odor out, plus I would mostly just end up leaking in bed because I'm a side sleeper and it has breathable sides.
And wearing a diaper cover while out or in bed kinda defeats the point of having a breathable diaper, making the "breathable" part useless :p

The car is usually an inferno and even at midnight around mid summer it would feel like it's still 90F or so at night outside.

But It's dry heat! LOL Been through Los Wages before in July at around 2pm, Daum it was hot!

you get use to wearing in the summer, but you need to change more often and to air out every day for at least 30 minutes or more. Diapers in the heat are not plesent to wear but since they are a necessity your body with adapt to the extra padding.
Stay in the air conditioning as much as possible and stay hydrated

Seconded. If you've had a diaper on for so long that it is itching and irritating, then it's time to change- regardless if it's completely saturated or not. After all, it's not a waste to change when a diaper can no longer adequately cover you without problems.

And yes, your first summer or two os going to be brutal for sweating. Luckily the human body is good at adapting. Eventually you will get used to the heat and not sweat down there as much, though it does take time to get there.

Slomo said:
Seconded. If you've had a diaper on for so long that it is itching and irritating, then it's time to change- regardless if it's completely saturated or not. After all, it's not a waste to change when a diaper can no longer adequately cover you without problems.

And yes, your first summer or two os going to be brutal for sweating. Luckily the human body is good at adapting. Eventually you will get used to the heat and not sweat down there as much, though it does take time to get there.

Totally agree the first year was terrible but it got better. I sometimes itch badly if I don't use enough sudocreme.

British summers aren't particularly hot but I do still sweat more in the summer, especially if I'm wearing plastic-backed ones. I'll switch back to Tena Flex if it gets unbearably warm; as well as being cloth-backed they also have no sides so they are much cooler. I also avoid wearing waterproof pants in the summer so I change more frequently to avoid the risk of leaks. And of course if you're wearing light-coloured trousers, any leaks WILL show, very obviously.

Borya said:
But It's dry heat! LOL Been through Los Wages before in July at around 2pm, Daum it was hot!

Yes it's dry heat, but 111F is still hot xD

One thing I do if we get very hot summer nights is just lay on a washable bed pad and dispense with the nappy. It is a lot cooler.

Borya said:
I've found sleeping the summer time rather hard, it gets so dang hot and humid down here (houston, tx). It didn't make much difference to use the cloth backed disposables. I had to break down and buy an a/c unit for my room. Now no problems!

I can attest to this Houston has very humid weather it's always at least 70% humidity or higher throughout the year

derpywhooves94 said:
I can attest to this Houston has very humid weather it's always at least 70% humidity or higher throughout the year

Pretty close to it, most of the year. We get some nicer weather in the winter when is down to civilized humidity but otherwise yeah it's like a sauna here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back