Status
Not open for further replies.

PaciPilot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
This 5 year old Acer Aspire M has been a real tank since the day I bought her, but she's been overheating playing World of Warships on medium settings. That and Kerbal Space Program are about the only games I play. However, I do love movies, so displays are huge to me! I don't really want to give up a ton of performance (or drop $1500+) on something that will play those games at maximum settings, or go to a 15 inch laptop.

So, what's you guy's take on the best 17+ inch laptop that I can get to play World of Warships on a budget of somewhere under $1500? And of course, saving money is a bonus. I'd like to get my motorcycle fixed eventually, but I'm on the road so much that a good laptop is a lifesaver.

Take a look at tigerdirect and newegg. They both have really good deals on laptops. Those extra two inches make a big difference, so definitely go with 17+. You don't need the best processor, video card, or hard drive so you can save big there.

One thing to consider is getting an older model, but then doubling the memory. That's where you will see the biggest improvement for performance. Also consider waiting a couple of weeks for any potential Easter sales.

Get a (last years) gaming tower, use it as a stream/file server, and keep the lappie. It would be basically an input/output portable, not much use of processor and RAM but you could play on the tower and stream to the laptop.

I travel for a living, can't quite do that ahaha

Sooo... a laptop that good for gaming and movies, preferably with a 17inch screen, for under USD1500...

This doesn’t fully fit your bill, as the screen’s smaller, however perhaps it’s still an option as it can output 4K over HDMI

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade

I’ve got one of these that’s a similar spec, and I can recommend them. The very high performance makes it a joy to use and the screen is very high quality and has great colour range.
For gaming, mine can play No Man’s with max graphics quality and still be buttery smooth.

The only downside is that battery life is low when the NVIDIA graphics card is active, only around 1 hour.

Good luck with your laptop search!

Really you should wait. There are going to be some big changes in the next couple of years. Intel is in the process of merging high-end video chips with the processor. should be a sight to see, Ultra thins with the ability to play AAA games at high graphics settings.

For your old Acer, drop in a ssd drive (A laptop cooling pad helps too), if you haven't already - it makes a huge difference.

if you can't wait I suggest trying to find a used Alienware 17 or 18. My 18 with dual 760's does really well, but it weighs a lot, and is hot, and has a huge power brick.

If you didn't need a laptop and the convenience of a single company I would say buy a shell as higher quality parts are cheaper and last longer than any company really integrates into a mass produced machine ,but thats much easier when you dont travel because there is no tech support other than you.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I have a slightly older version of the ASUS GL703VM. The version I have is basically that, but a 6th gen processor instead of 7th. All of the other specs are the same.

It works well for when I travel, it fits in any 17 inch case. It's not overly thick, or heavy. The GTX 1060 it has is fairly comparable to it's GTX 1060 desktop counter part, unlike older GPUs. It'll play games fine on high, or even very high settings at it's native resolution 1080p. It also vents the air out of the back, which I find much better than ones that vent out of the side. Venting out of the back pushes the hot air entirely away from you. The keyboard area does get a little warmer than I'd prefer after long periods of gaming, but nothing horrible. The bulkier gaming laptops wouldn't have that problem as much, but it doesn't seem to throttle, or at least nothing overly noticeable and doesn't run too hot overall. The stereo speakers are satisfactory, but nothing special either.

There is no optical drive on this one, if you use discs for your movies. But if you stream everything like me, then that won't be a problem. Otherwise you'd need an external disc drive.

For $1300 US, I'd recommend considering it.

I recently got a new laptop, I got this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...76779&sr=8-3&keywords=Acer+Predator+300+17.3"

It is really nice, it load the OS quickly, and I can run the standard version of Skyrim on max setting and the cooling fans only need to run very little to keep the CPU and GPU cool. Also I played a little MechWarrior Online and it ran really well on this laptop. Also the fan are made of metal not plastic witch from my understanding makes them more durable and more efficient. Planing to buy Empyrion and see how that runs.

The display on the new Dell XPS 15 is phenomenal. 4K, Colours are accurate and there are virtually no bezels. The only problem with it being that it is 15" and not 17". It's also available in multiple colours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back