Status
Not open for further replies.

Cillow

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I've been getting super into chess recently, I find it both therapeutic and really intellectually stimulating. I've been doing a bit of reading and watching videos online and I've made a semi-strict pact with myself not to start playing others until I have a better grip on basic gameplay concepts like pawn structures, tactics, openings & endgames, etc. etc. I'd like to get my hands on some quality chess books too and I'm thinking about picking up Fischer's Memorable 60 Games and The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal. Anyone else into the game and wanna chat about it or have any advice/recommendations for a semi-beginner? :D

(Also traditionally speaking I guess this doesn't fall precisely under the 'Computer & Gaming' category but it's still a game and you can play it online! :eek:)

I'm a fan of chess myself, I learned how to play when I was 12 and I just played on and off against my girlfriend when I taught her how to play.

I'm not the best player by all means, I would still label myself as a beginner. But those videos you mentioned have really helped me grasp a lot of useful information, and j found myself Incorporating it into games after studying for a bit.

Opening moves are a very important factor is games as well since that is going to determine a lot of possible future moves you will have to encounter. I recommend registering an account on chess.com if you haven't done so already. It's a great site.

I used to play years ago. When I was having back problems and couldn't sleep at night because of the pain. I used to play computer chess and I beat the computer several times at level 2. Of course, it went to something like level 15 or 20. It hinged on processing time.

I did pretty good, despite the fact that I do math by instinct thus not very consistent. On Debian Linux you have a huge amount of available games, not counting the ones inside of suites ("solitaire" has about 40 different games in one suite, and there are a lot of suites) and the Knoppix distros always have about a hundred menu entries... including Chess in many formats. I like playing against the machine because playing against other people is, well, painful, Win or Lose it's a lot of autistic moments strung together. My grandpa always taught me that the only way to learn it is to play against people who are better at it than I am. I come back to it a lot but thinking of it right now, it's been 25 years since I played against a human.

Maybe it would be better if it has a lot of distractions, like pinball with the the noise and flashing lights. Make your chess window transparent and have under it a video of a pinball game? A first person shooter game somebody else is playing?

I also enjoy chess quite a bit. Not that I'm a master or anything; I definitely lose more often than I win! I was very fortunate, in winter 2016-2017, when all the regulars at my favorite coffee shop started playing chess regularly for no apparent reason. So I was playing several games a day there, which was really fun! I haven't made much of a formal study, but some of the people I played with taught me about tactics and opening theory.

If you haven't been playing against humans, have you at least been playing against the computer? I'm sure all the videos and books are loaded with great information, but it's much easier to digest all that if you're actively applying it in real games.

Have you thought about playing correspondence chess? I'm always looking for a new chess partner, so if you'd like a game, hit me up sometime!

I remember correspondence chess, get two good players and mailing (snailing) what your move was, wait a couple of weeks for The Other's move, etc. Go for a year on one game. But I'd guess you're talking e-mail. But with the same rules. Wouldn't have to spend money on postage. There's also the option of matched chess UI games, and VPN connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back