What are the blue rectangles found on the paddings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkjo

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Some diapers have blue (or light blue) rectangle inside of it, usually on the middle of the padding. What are they for? And what are the differences between the ones that have and don't?

There was a trend in the late 80's/early 90's with baby diapers where they had "thicker and more absorbent cores" they tended to die those areas different colors (usually blue or green) to kind of show it off.

With the diapers of today and the new SAP that fills in the core of the diaper they no longer needed "different fluff" in different areas of the diaper and can fill the entire thing with the same stuff. As far as I know the colored areas of today's diapers are just an aesthetics thing for people looking for a touch of nostalgia. Id say a good majority of abdls today grew up with that style of diaper.

I do remember some brands of diapers also advertising odor control and fresheners in those areas as well though that portion wasn't as heavily advertised as the "moisture whicking" and "thicker, more absorbent cores" were.

darkjo said:
Some diapers have blue (or light blue) rectangle inside of it, usually on the middle of the padding. What are they for? And what are the differences between the ones that have and don't?

So, generally they are the ADL, or "Acquisition distribution layer". Some diapers have them, some diapers don't. They are also made in white, which is what we use in our diapers. They serve to help lock and guide moisture into the core of the diaper and preventing it from squishing back out.

known by several names (ADL, as above, 'quick-away' and 'one-way' layers/liners), they're simply a loose matting or floss of material which disperses fluid and it's energy, thereby helping to keep the fluid in the absorbant pad.

a case of convergent technology, i invented such in the 80s, along with the 'big boys', but before them, and their first use was with terry-towelling nappies.
i still use them regularly and i am using one now, in the form of a pillow protector turned inside-out (yep, works out cheaper than buying the specific material alone from the haberdasher).

if you're interested in the principles at work, you can see them by exposing a humble plastic or metal pan-scrub to the full flow of tap/faucet water.

Its the aquasition layer its cores and porous to spred out urine and keep it away from skin

- - - Updated - - -

Its the aquasition layer its cores and porous to spred out urine and keep it away from skin

Venesha said:
There was a trend in the late 80's/early 90's with baby diapers where they had "thicker and more absorbent cores" they tended to die those areas different colors (usually blue or green) to kind of show it off.

With the diapers of today and the new SAP that fills in the core of the diaper they no longer needed "different fluff" in different areas of the diaper and can fill the entire thing with the same stuff. As far as I know the colored areas of today's diapers are just an aesthetics thing for people looking for a touch of nostalgia. Id say a good majority of abdls today grew up with that style of diaper.

I do remember some brands of diapers also advertising odor control and fresheners in those areas as well though that portion wasn't as heavily advertised as the "moisture whicking" and "thicker, more absorbent cores" were.

Great explanation! I remember some baby diapers having similar blue padding, too. I guess those are mostly just for looks nowadays.

I think a lot of those blue areas are just paint added to the diaper that don't represent any added capacity.

SOME diapers DO have added capacity in the middle. Crinkz/BetterDry for example very clearly have an insert added in the crotch that increases capacity. It's hard to see when dry, but is very obvious when changing a wet diaper, as that insert tends to break away from the main padding inside the lining of the diaper and you can see where it start and ends in the front and back of the crotch. (I think that insert has a higher concentration sap that the rest of the padding?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back