Clumping

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOXERSORBRIEFS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have a pretty good stock of premium diapers. But wanting to add a case or so of top shelf medical diapers to the stockpile. I can't stand a diaper that clumps and falls apart. Some of them, the padding falls apart before it even gets wet.
Can you guys, and gals help me out. What diapers don't clump and fall apart?

May I know what's this "clump" means?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Yeha I know what you mean by clumping and all seem to do it but usually later in the wetting process. I wear nrthshore supreme and confidry and both seem to clump when i make a change but i dont notice with doing it throughout the day. stay with a quality diaper.

inthedark said:
May I know what's this "clump" means?

That's when the padding in a diaper breaks up from the single continuous sheet of padding and separates into into smaller chunks that are free to move around inside the shell. This can happen more easily when a diaper gets wet, or when you've been "active" (moving around a lot) since you put the diaper on.

Some diapers are known for clumping when dry after just a small amount of activity - not a good thing. When the padding breaks up like that while you're walking around, it tends to fall down and pile up in the crotch, making the crotch much wider than usual, and leaving you with areas in the front and back that have NO padding in them at all. Doesn't affect capacity much, but certainly is uncomfortable!

They're usually much less of a problem overnight of course since you don't move around much. If I try a new diaper and it clumps, I'll see if I can use it overnight. If the capacity's not good enough though, it ends up being a "short term" wear during the day, and I change when it starts clumping. They can also get lumpy then, and that makes sitting uncomfortable.

I have found that ConfiDry 24/7 and BetterDry do not clump to any appreciable degree even when wet.

All disposable diapers are going to clump eventually. As the others have mentioned though, Northshore, Confirdry & Betterdry, are among the best for resisting clumping the longest.

I disagree all disposable diapers will clump eventually. ABU and Rearz never clump at all.

Betterdry and IDSlip don't clump unless very soaked and I've been very active, and even then not much.

The current Abena, Molicare and Formacare clump straight away and fall to pieces after a few hours.

blob said:
I disagree all disposable diapers will clump eventually. ABU and Rearz never clump at all.

Betterdry and IDSlip don't clump unless very soaked and I've been very active, and even then not much.

The current Abena, Molicare and Formacare clump straight away and fall to pieces after a few hours.

I suppose it depends on your activity level, maybe your sweating, and how long you wear before making a judgement. For me, ABU take a considerably long time to clump, I can wear a space all day and if I keep it try it won't start to settle until evening. I decided to wear a little pawz today, we'll see how long that can last. I've never been able to get a safari to show any signs of clumping or settling, but it's hard to wear that diaper all day due to the crotch thickness. (they're great overnight though!!)

Xplus are terrible for that, they settle and clump into hard lumps that get sore to sit on and force you to change even if you're dry.

I've obviously had worse experience with betterdry/crinklz than you have, but maybe I'm demanding more from them, time-wise.

bambinod said:
I suppose it depends on your activity level, maybe your sweating, and how long you wear before making a judgement. For me, ABU take a considerably long time to clump, I can wear a space all day and if I keep it try it won't start to settle until evening. I decided to wear a little pawz today, we'll see how long that can last. I've never been able to get a safari to show any signs of clumping or settling, but it's hard to wear that diaper all day due to the crotch thickness. (they're great overnight though!!)

Xplus are terrible for that, they settle and clump into hard lumps that get sore to sit on and force you to change even if you're dry.

I've obviously had worse experience with betterdry/crinklz than you have, but maybe I'm demanding more from them, time-wise.
I feel you about the Betterdry/Crinklz. They clump pretty badly for me.

ABU diapers have never clumped on me, but they leak out of the legs because of the higher tape placement. So I don't wear them too much.

NorthShore Supremes are hard to clump, and I'm pretty impressed with the Dry 24/7s.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ABU and Rearz have never clumped for me

Yooo said:
I feel you about the Betterdry/Crinklz. They clump pretty badly for me.

ABU diapers have never clumped on me, but they leak out of the legs because of the higher tape placement. So I don't wear them too much.

You might try attaching your lower tapes farther down on the front. Maybe even below the tape panel, to get a good seal around your legs if you'r leaking there.

bambinod said:
You might try attaching your lower tapes farther down on the front. Maybe even below the tape panel, to get a good seal around your legs if you'r leaking there.

Wouldn't that be defeating the whole point of the tape landing zone though? Not to mention this will also make the rear of the diaper rise too low. Potential blow-outs aside if you aren't bowel IC, this too low rise will cause the diaper to sag prematurely.

If you REALLY want to make any Baninos-like diaper truly work, add your own tapes where the lowest tape otherwise should be. This will dramatically increases their performance, fit & make them last much more longer without leaking. Easily on par with Confidry & Northshore even.

Slomo said:
Wouldn't that be defeating the whole point of the tape landing zone though? Not to mention this will also make the rear of the diaper rise too low. Potential blow-outs aside if you aren't bowel IC, this too low rise will cause the diaper to sag prematurely.

If the landing zones aren't where you need them, ignore them and tape where you need to. I've always believed that the top tapes are there to keep your diaper up around your hip at your belt line, (prevent sag) and the lowers are there to seal around your legs. Depending on how high or low the lower tapes are on your waist and how wide the wings are, they may need to come directly in, or may need to come in, around, and maybe even a little down, missing the landing zone entirely.

bambinod said:
If the landing zones aren't where you need them, ignore them and tape where you need to. I've always believed that the top tapes are there to keep your diaper up around your hip at your belt line, (prevent sag) and the lowers are there to seal around your legs. Depending on how high or low the lower tapes are on your waist and how wide the wings are, they may need to come directly in, or may need to come in, around, and maybe even a little down, missing the landing zone entirely.

But that's the catch though, isn't it. You can place the top tapes high enough so they are at your belt line (to hold the diaper up), OR place the middle tapes low enough to get a seal around your legs. Those tapes are too close together to have it both ways, so it's either or.

Slomo said:
Those tapes are too close together to have it both ways, so it's either or.

*shrug* I can make it work fine for most diapers. I find I can get a better fit on those where the lower tape is around halfway down on the wing, the ones with the lower tapes real low don't fit as well. As I was saying earlier, I feel the lower tapes need to go in and angle down, and they can't angle down if they're already low.

bambinod said:
*shrug* I can make it work fine for most diapers. I find I can get a better fit on those where the lower tape is around halfway down on the wing, the ones with the lower tapes real low don't fit as well. As I was saying earlier, I feel the lower tapes need to go in and angle down, and they can't angle down if they're already low.

*also shrug*. Everyone has a different body shape. We all know what works for one person will not work for someone else. At least we have both found what works for each of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back