Anyone ever bring their stuffy/bear to the hospital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slomo

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
So this is my usual teddy bear I sleep with. His name is Wuzzy (as in fuzzy wuzzy is my bear)
https://www.adisc.org/forum/album.php?albumid=1955&attachmentid=30570
I knew I'd be staying the night but unfortunately I also knew he would be too big to bring with me because of those small hospital beds.

So instead I brought my wife's bear with me. Her name is sandy.
https://www.adisc.org/forum/album.php?albumid=1955&attachmentid=30569

And she was a hit at the hospital. One nurse did try to argue I should potty train her, but I said no way I'm incontinent and need a diaper and she want's to be just like me so she can wear one too. The nurse chuckled a little and left. Everyone else though she was cute and totally got why she is diapers just like I am.

Has anyone else tried bringing their stuffies with them?

Attachments

• Sandy.jpg
    Sandy.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Wuzzy.jpg
    Wuzzy.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 86
Yes, when I was in the hospital twice last year with with my infected hoof, I had miss Babyhoof Unicorn plushie with me. She was in a diaper too, and everypony thought it was adorable as sin too. I think all the nurses know they see their patients at their most vulnerable, and the little things, like your Wuzzy or my Babyhoof are really good comfort items. Home the surgery makes everything so much better for you.

Yes. I do all the time because of how terrified I am of hospitals. >< Hospitals don't always treat me very well because I'm not exactly considered "severely" disabled in their eyes. I've had some bad experiences with being at them, so I always need some sort of comfort item to make it easier for me. When I had my teeth removed, I brought a few plushies with me. One of them was a small pound puppy my grandfather gave to me when I was a baby. He died when I was a year old (that's whole other story btw). They let me take him in with my for comfort reasons when I had my teeth removed. That was the only hospital that knew how to look after me and my intense fears.

Yes. I have an impossible time adjusting to a new bed sleeping in a new bed without a plushie, so I bring a a plushie with me. The nurses usually don't say anything about it, though the doctors sometimes raise an eyebrow at it. But it's one of the few things that helps my anxiety.

I've never been admitted, but stuffed animals have accompanied me to the emergency room, doctors, and dentist. I had my little PAW Patrol Marshall with me in January when I went to the endocrinologist.

I will be bringing a small plushie with me on the 23rd, when I have to have another cystoscopy at my urologist's office to help me cope with the medical touching down-below and her looking up into my boy body part into my bladder.

I've been fortunate enough to never have to go to the hospital, but if I did, I definitely would want to have my teddy bear with me. I'd even want to have a diaper and pacifier if they would let me.

It's encouraging to see people here are not putting themselves though additional hardship just to try and conform with what general society deems as "normal". More encouraging to see hospital staff take it at least somewhat positively.

I had my Spongeboband Patrick plushies with me while I was in the hospital for 8 weeks because of a hip and leg surgery that I had when I was 13 years old.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A510F mit Tapatalk

I have surgery scheduled for next Friday to have a rod inserted into my tibia to correct a non-healing fracture. I'm going in for an overnight stay and would really like to take my plush monkey with me to have that evening. I'm just a little concerned about how I get him back after the surgery. Did others keep their stuffies with their personal items and ask the nurse to retrieve them after post-op recovery?

Well,

I was given my fluffy puppie when in the hospital following what can only be called a near fatal accident...

But, I’m laying in bed, fluffy is next to me, and when I goto sleep fluffy will be there...

In fact my medical assistant (they change names every year) or baby sitter, or whatever...

When I goto bed, she always makes sure fluffy is with me, I usually use bed restraints these days, been the best way to keep from getting hurt sleepwalking...so she tucks fluffy in with me...she stays here at night...so she gets me up in the morning timeframe...albeit ive been known to be sleeping late and get up with the day staff too...

But yes, fluffy accompanies me to sleep studies, and to anything/place I go...

LiteBrite said:
I have surgery scheduled for next Friday to have a rod inserted into my tibia to correct a non-healing fracture. I'm going in for an overnight stay and would really like to take my plush monkey with me to have that evening. I'm just a little concerned about how I get him back after the surgery. Did others keep their stuffies with their personal items and ask the nurse to retrieve them after post-op recovery?

You could ask the nurse to give your monkey a label/tag with your name on it and the ward that you will be going to after the surgery. If monkey gets lost, someone will bring him to you. Maybe he can have the same kind of label as the patients have. That would be cool, huh?

Good luck with your surgery.

Thx Makubird - I’ll give that a try.

I have taken my puppy to both medical and dental appointments.

Never had any bad reactions. That being said, I don't ever mix that with any other abld things.

It probably helps I look a 'bit rough' and am a bit older.

Perhaps the 'rough on the outside, soft on the inside' has some sort of appeal to people.

I haven't ever had a hospital stay, but I take mine everywhere if I'm sleeping out (providing it is planned and not some impromptu drinking session at a friend's last minute). My best friend got me one the other year as a way of coping without them being around (struggle to relax or calm down without them), now I struggle to sleep without it.

LiteBrite said:

Hey, I've had an intermediate rod for my left tibia/fibia too. Think of it as a steel splint on the inside of the leg.

Mine was needed after pulverizing about 3 inches of bone (almost lost my leg). I remember being able to feel the screws under my skin too. They took mine out after three years of the bone healing up though. So all that's left is a few extra scars.

And yes, I left my bear in the bag they give you for your clothes. And yes, I just asked for the bag a little after waking up.

Thanks Slomo that is really helpful. I'm glad to hear your leg recovered well. Your injury sounds like it was pretty bad. My leg break didn't seem to be much of anything at first. A spiral crack of the lower tibia that you could barely see on the x-rays. That was 8 months ago... it's just gotten worse over time since the break never stabilized. My leg now has a severe bend at the ankle, has shortened, and still won't support my weight. I've been on crutches for months. I'm looking forward to the surgery to fix it even though the surgery is a bit scary. I"m not sure if they're ever planning to take out the rod though.

Having something soft, furry, and familiar with me in the hospital will be reassuring.

I had surgery a couple of years ago and brought a plush stingray with me. The nurses loved it.

I have been in psych wards several times and I think I have always had a plushie or a few with me. Everybody has been fine with it. Often nurses start getting to know me by asking something about my little friends.

I had my surgery Friday morning on my leg. I brought my monkey with me in my bag. I was very happy I had him with me Friday night since it was a little cold and my leg hurt a lot. My monkey really helped me sleep. One of the nurses saw him under the blankets Saturday morning and asked if it was a bear. I told her it was a monkey. She asked where/how long I had him. I told her my daughter sent him along with me for the hospital stay. I got a very nice smile from the nurse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back