Is the ABU plastic packaging recyclable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMissPink

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
So I have collected several of the ABU plastic packaging that the diapers come in now and not sure if they are recyclable. It seems such a waste to throw out knowing they will sit in a dump for who knows how long. A bit hypocritical considering diapers are probably worse but if I can recycle I would like to. Unfortunately it doesn't say anywhere on the packaging if they are or aren't. I have Better Dry packaging and it says it is on it but nothing is said on the ABU or dotty pink pony diapers packaging which seem to have similar style plastics.
Does anyone know if they are?

We take all our grocery bags back to the the store to recycle because they don't recycle these at recycle centers.

The biggest problem I see with recycling right now is separation of materials.

The recycling plants aren't very good at breaking things down into separate materials, and some things (like e-waste) are very difficult to break down by design.

You usually sterilize things by heating them a lot, but plastics can't be heated that much before they break down, so plastics generally can't be sterilized. (that's why the hospital sends you home with things like your water pitcher, they CAN'T sterilize it for reuse)

And then diapers have an added problem of being a "medical waste". Not only is the plastic, pulp, elastic, and tapes all glued together, but it's mixed in with urine, feces, and biohazards. Right now Japan is actually incinerating diapers. (they have a huge garbage problem there due to no space for landfills) This gets rid of the diapers, destroys the biohazards, and burns it all for its down fuel. I don't know if they are a net-producer or net-consumer of power in this process, but it has to involve heating a lot of water, (so many wet diapers!!) so it's probably tough to come out ahead on it. Burning plastic does return some of the energy you put into it, but it's nowhere near as good of a recycling method as just plain melting down and reusing. The big problem there is usually the toxic gases that come out. Incineration breaks down even those, but it just required higher temps/more energy/more cost to do. (and that's why incineration is really the only eco-friendly way to recycle e-waste)

All of our plastic packaging is recyclable material #4.

klo555 said:
All of our plastic packaging is recyclable material #4.

I was looking more at the challenge of recycling used diapers than the packaging material ;)

bambinod said:
I was looking more at the challenge of recycling used diapers than the packaging material ;)

Yes, I know, But I was, I think, addressing OPs question.

klo555 said:
Yes, I know, But I was, I think, addressing OPs question.

Yes you were, thanks you for that Klo555 and sorry for the late reply, the question kind of slipped my mind. Good to know it's recyclable :)

Last edited:
Here in Melbourne our local supermarkets do have soft plastic recycling for shopping bags and food packets... Great to know I can also put my ABU nappy packets in there (ashamed to admit I hadn’t even thought of it.)

I have to say though for recycling nappies rose gardens certainly love the fluff pulp!

For wet only nappies check to make sure both the top and bottom have a good seal.
Hold one end, give it a good shake until all the pulp falls into a ball.
Tear the top of the nappy open and pour the contents into a bucket.
Put it in your shower to catch the cold water when you first turn your shower on.
Of course you can shower standing over it if you are confident your soaps are ok for the garden and you will watch to ensure it doesn’t overflow/become too heavy for you too lift!
Pour the slurry into your compost bin or around your flowers (good idea to cover it with mulch afterwards.)

If we're talking about the bags they come in, the greenest way is to make clothing out of them (plastic pants, raincoat, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back