What are your thoughts on ABU Peekabu alreadly being sold out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
klo555 said:
We ship in 40' High Cube containers.

ah, interesting. they call them "40ft high" when they're really "40ft long", for tall items, meant to be shipped on their side I guess..

https://www.oceancontainer.com/new-and-used-40-ft-high-cube-cargo-containers-for-sale.html

Oh this site gives inner dimensions also, that's more useful... Interior Dimensions: Length - 39' 5 3/4" Height - 8' 10" Width - 7' 8" That's 473" x 106" x 92" = 4,612,696 cu in, or 2,669 cu ft, or 75.6 cu m. Which is a tad over double the 20ft container's earlier quoted 33 cu m, so that checks - unsurprisingly they have slightly more than double the volume of a 20ft container, due to a little less wall overhead.

4,612,696 cu in divided by 550 cases (we'll go with your lower estimate to get more of them in the container) gives at most 8,386 cu in per case, assuming no wasted space. The case I measured was a bit smashed so I may have measured it a bit wide, I measured 29x31x11. Thats 9,889 cu in, which is actually pretty close to the above estimate. Lose an just inch and a half from both of the wider dimensions and half an inch off the height and that'd be about right. (27.5x29.5x10.5=8,518)

Sorry, I'm a math nerd ;o)

Thanks for the info though, I find this interesting stuff to play around with!

bambinod said:
ah, interesting. they call them "40ft high" when they're really "40ft long", for tall items, meant to be shipped on their side I guess..

https://www.oceancontainer.com/new-and-used-40-ft-high-cube-cargo-containers-for-sale.html

Oh this site gives inner dimensions also, that's more useful... Interior Dimensions: Length - 39' 5 3/4" Height - 8' 10" Width - 7' 8" That's 473" x 106" x 92" = 4,612,696 cu in, or 2,669 cu ft, or 75.6 cu m. Which is a tad over double the 20ft container's earlier quoted 33 cu m, so that checks - unsurprisingly they have slightly more than double the volume of a 20ft container, due to a little less wall overhead.

4,612,696 cu in divided by 550 cases (we'll go with your lower estimate to get more of them in the container) gives at most 8,386 cu in per case, assuming no wasted space. The case I measured was a bit smashed so I may have measured it a bit wide, I measured 29x31x11. Thats 9,889 cu in, which is actually pretty close to the above estimate. Lose an just inch and a half from both of the wider dimensions and half an inch off the height and that'd be about right. (27.5x29.5x10.5=8,518)

40HC are really 1' taller than a standard 40GP container.

http://containertech.com/container-sales/40ft-high-cube-container-standard-iso/

It's fun watching you continue to do the math though ;-)

bambinod said:

Don't forget to calculate the coefficient of friction on the surface of each cardboard case too. There has to be at least some gap between the boxes or they'd never be able to get the cases in/out of the shipping container.

Slomo said:
Don't forget to calculate the coefficient of friction on the surface of each cardboard case too. There has to be at least some gap between the boxes or they'd never be able to get the cases in/out of the shipping container.

Screenshot 2018-03-14 13.34.06.jpg
This is a really sloppy pack job, but usually the boxes are compressed tight in the container.

Last edited:
Slomo said:

story time!

I know several people that drive over the road and they often have fun tales to tell. One friend of mine got to haul giant rolls of paper. These are the big rolls somewhat like you'd see at a newspaper press. These rolls were loaded in his truck on their side (so the tube in the middle was vertical) and they were just shy of fitting in side-by-side in the trailer, so the rolls he got (several) were staggered a bit o°o°o°o° (overhead view) like that in the trailer

Well, dumb cars being dumb cars, he had some driver cut in front of him and immediately slam on the brakes as he was just starting to approach a light, and he had to jam on the brakes. (this happens a lot, and is extremely dangerous for the driver, the car, and all the cars around you at the time, do NOT do this! you're risking more than just YOUR life!)

He immediately and predictably feels the *WHUMP* as his load shifts (cargo in the trailer moves) but managed to slow enough not to rear-end the car. "Guess we'll see what happened to the load when we get there.... it's just paper, nothing fragile?" (nothing he can do about it now)

After he gets to the dock and gets backed in, he steps out to watch them open the trailer. But it looks... odd... somehow. Wait.. is it bulging?

They break the seal and open the doors, and for a moment he thinks half the paper's gone missing. No it's not missing. All the rolls are up front in the trailer and arranged like this now: 888
Clearly the rolls forced their way side-by-side and pressed out the sides of the trailer a few inches on each side.

He explains what happened at the light and says "Have fun getting THAT out of the trailer!"

The hauler just smiles and leaves on his forklift, and returns with what kind of looks like a forklift but with a big smooth, curved front on it, that obviously is meant to fit those rolls from the side like they are. He just drives up, somehow snatches a roll, and pulls it free and drives into the warehouse with it. All the rolls came out without a problem.

Apparently those roll-grabbers somehow can get a VERY good grip on a very heavy roll of smooth paper from just one round side and yank it out even when it's been wedged into a spot it doesn't exactly fit into.

So I'd bet they don't mind stacking those boxes right on top of each other, to within a quarter inch of the ceiling and clear out to both sides, if the case dimensions allow for it. Cargo space is valuable, and they try to use as much of it as possible in a shipment like this. (I'd imagine you pay for the container to be shipped, regardless of how full or empty it is, one flat rate?)

bambinod said:
So I'd bet they don't mind stacking those boxes right on top of each other, to within a quarter inch of the ceiling and clear out to both sides, if the case dimensions allow for it. Cargo space is valuable, and they try to use as much of it as possible in a shipment like this. (I'd imagine you pay for the container to be shipped, regardless of how full or empty it is, one flat rate?)

We want the containers as full as possible, but oddly, sometimes, it is cheaper to ship a container that isn't full than to ship a few pallets in certain zones.

i am about giving up to try buying anything in medium ,
There is Never anything in mediums in canada :( been trying to buy something in medium for a like 3 months , whats up with the stock in my country? Klo?

klo555 said:
We want the containers as full as possible, but oddly, sometimes, it is cheaper to ship a container that isn't full than to ship a few pallets in certain zones.

Shipping is an evil game with everyone desperate to make a dollar!

That was a sloppy packing job on the pic, would have guessed their would be some damaged boxes like that as everything shippped should be packed for 3 dimensional movement.

Slomo said:

Here's a twitter picture of the peakABUs and simple ultras arriving by truck: https://twitter.com/ABUDiapers/status/979094083669934080

Argent said:
Shipping is an evil game with everyone desperate to make a dollar!

That was a sloppy packing job on the pic, would have guessed their would be some damaged boxes like that as everything shippped should be packed for 3 dimensional movement.

I have helped unload a truck at work that was done so terribly all the contents probably would have fell out if not for a net holding the boxes back; so I know how badly someone could load a truck.

Hopefully this sort of rush job almost never happens; especially with premium products like ABUniverse diapers as none of us want damaged products when we pay so much.

Thankfully ABUniverse and other companies are usually pretty good on the customer support part and would help us out in such a case.

If there is a chance for me to order PeekABU when they are actually in stock I will.

But for now I have half a case of Little Pawz on order and also ordered half a case of Overnights from Tykables (hopefully they are in stock and will ship soon since it's very late March and it says they will be in stock in March); so I will be stocked and satisfied for a long time.

Cant even buy nothing abu in medium in canada count yourself lucky :\

Was it the Baltimore or Everette warehouse that received to container?

At least this didn't happen to them.

[video=youtube_share;CvFNGfpJCNo]https://youtu.be/CvFNGfpJCNo[/video]

BabyTyrant said:
But for now I have half a case of Little Pawz on order and also ordered half a case of Overnights from Tykables (hopefully they are in stock and will ship soon since it's very late March and it says they will be in stock in March); so I will be stocked and satisfied for a long time.

I hate to break it to you but you’re gonna be waiting a while. I ordered a case of Overnights the 1st week in March when the website was showing them as “in-stock”. I just emailed them about the order and was told that they’re waiting on a shipment. They had no time frame available for when they expect to receive said shipment. I can almost guarantee you that your order isn’t going to be shipped in March.

I’m pissed because I waited for an in stock status to place an order because I didn’t want to have to wait & now here I am 3 weeks later with no order. They’re not being upfront with customers & that’s not cool in my book. Had I known this would end up essential being a pre-order, I would have never ordered.

At least ABUniverse is up from about their orders. I asked for an update on my PeekABU order & was given a ship date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bokeh said:
I hate to break it to you but you’re gonna be waiting a while. I ordered a case of Overnights the 1st week in March when the website was showing them as “in-stock”. I just emailed them about the order and was told that they’re waiting on a shipment. They had no time frame available for when they expect to receive said shipment. I can almost guarantee you that your order isn’t going to be shipped in March.

I’m pissed because I waited for an in stock status to place an order because I didn’t want to have to wait & now here I am 3 weeks later with no order. They’re not being upfront with customers & that’s not cool in my book. Had I known this would end up essential being a pre-order, I would have never ordered.

At least ABUniverse is up from about their orders. I asked for an update on my PeekABU order & was given a ship date.

Well, if I have to wait weeks/months it will probably be the only order they ever get from me; they really should have more control or at least transparency with customers.

BabyTyrant said:
Well, if I have to wait weeks/months it will probably be the only order they ever get from me; they really should have more control or at least transparency with customers.

I did get some good news though, I just got a shipping confirmation from ABUniverse & my PeekABU order has shipped a full week ahead of schedule.

I hope my simple ultras ship out soon to compare to my stash of Crinklz and betterdrys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back