Thread: Football (soccer) should they make a european league?

Default Football (soccer) should they make a european league?

Now, This week a question of whether a 'super League' of the 60 top teams In europe should be made. This would take the teams out of many of the existing leagues, such as The Premiership, La Liga etc.

My question is, Do you think this should happen?

I think that it probably won't go forward due to away games being abroad, lessening the number of away fans going on a regular basis. Also , many people are interested in their local football, such as this year's title race between Manchester United, Liverpool and, maybe, Chelsea, and the relegation battle being so fierce.

Any thoughts??

redtails

Partly to bump this thread, I'd like to state that travelling abroad is often not a problem for true football fans. I'm not a big fan of football myself, but when all those Dutch fans travelled all the way to Berne I was quite amazed:

http://www.tctubantia.nl/multimedia/archive/00783/bernplein_783904b.JPG
    http://www.depers.nl/UserFiles/Image/2008/200806/20080610/nl3.jpg
    http://www.depers.nl/UserFiles/Image/2008/200806/20080617/ek2008.webcam.bern.bundesplatz.425.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wannabesissybaby92 View Post
    Now, This week a question of whether a 'super League' of the 60 top teams In europe should be made. This would take the teams out of many of the existing leagues, such as The Premiership, La Liga etc.

My question is, Do you think this should happen?

I think that it probably won't go forward due to away games being abroad, lessening the number of away fans going on a regular basis. Also , many people are interested in their local football, such as this year's title race between Manchester United, Liverpool and, maybe, Chelsea, and the relegation battle being so fierce.

Any thoughts??
    A European league couldn't happen. It would break the rules of FIFA. The UEFA Champions League exists anyway. Your national league is your bread and butter, European competition after that is a Bonus.

You'd also have to ask, what would happen to the teams who weren't in the new 'European Super League'.

Financial constraints would also mean that many clubs just couldn't afford to do it.

We have the champions league and thats enough, besides with 60 teams in a league the season would last for over 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by redtails View Post
    Partly to bump this thread, I'd like to state that travelling abroad is often not a problem for true football fans.
    I completely disagree with this. Perhaps for a one off game yes, but only a select few could afford to follow their team throughout Europe all season long. I struggle to pay for my season ticket and I can't go to any away games because I haven't got the money.

Also, most "true" football fans will likely support clubs that won't be affected by this whatsoever.