Connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
The connection issue still hasn't resolved itself. I tried working on the connection and haven't gotten anything to work at this point.

KryanAshford said:
The connection issue still hasn't resolved itself. I tried working on the connection and haven't gotten anything to work at this point.

You have verified your SSIDs are named differently and set your device to use a static IP instead of a dynamic? The next step beyond that is to verify your devices drivers are the most current and to integrity test the line strength coming into the house with a hard wired connection directly to the router.

tiny said:
Hardware acceleration allows the system to run faster (the clue's in the name). You only need to disable it if it's causing problems.

It won't affect internet dropouts, though, which is the problem the OP has.

You guys keep missing what I'm saying. The hardware is accelerated at the cost of stability. Sure it will be faster, for about one second, until it locks up and has to restart.

But... the OP's PC isn't locking up (as far as I know). :dunno:

Hardware acceleration exists to improve the performance of your PC. Buggy drivers or hardware implementations sometimes cause problems with hardware acceleration, which is why you might, "in the unlikely event of a crash" want to disable it if it causes problems. Otherwise, you're just slowing down your PC for no reason.

The first thing I'd do if I had such instability problems would be to check for BIOS/UEFI and video driver updates, uninstall & reinstall the video drivers, and check to see whether other users were having problems and whether there are any solutions or workarounds.

But... the OPs problem is different. And... is disabling hardware acceleration even an option on an Xbox?

I don't think so Tiny. I think I might have to call AT&T and see if I can get a renew model router

tiny said:
But... the OP's PC isn't locking up (as far as I know). :dunno:

Hardware acceleration exists to improve the performance of your PC. Buggy drivers or hardware implementations sometimes cause problems with hardware acceleration, which is why you might, "in the unlikely event of a crash" want to disable it if it causes problems. Otherwise, you're just slowing down your PC for no reason.

The first thing I'd do if I had such instability problems would be to check for BIOS/UEFI and video driver updates, uninstall & reinstall the video drivers, and check to see whether other users were having problems and whether there are any solutions or workarounds.

But... the OPs problem is different. And... is disabling hardware acceleration even an option on an Xbox?

It only takes a second or two for a network card to reinitialize. Just enough time to cause lag or maybe drop a connection every now and again.

Though I did miss the OP has this problem on an xbox, the problem may still apply. I assume the LAN router the xbox connects with was set up via the PC first. If this is the case, then it will still help to disable the hardware acceleration on the PC, but the OP will still also need to log into his router and verify it is disabled there too (with routers it's usually called NAT acceleration).

The OP may also want to try placing the Xbox in the DMZ of the router.

Also have to keep in mind this is xDSL service in the middle of nowhere.

I tried DMZ but I still get a laggy game. I do get dropped, but it takes a little longer than normal.

KryanAshford said:
I don't think so Tiny. I think I might have to call AT&T and see if I can get a renew model router

Have you tried different cables? They often fail after a while. And did you try setting a static IP for your gaming devices (as mentioned in post 12)?

Slomo said:
It only takes a second or two for a network card to reinitialize. Just enough time to cause lag or maybe drop a connection every now and again.

Though I did miss the OP has this problem on an xbox, the problem may still apply. I assume the LAN router the xbox connects with was set up via the PC first. If this is the case, then it will still help to disable the hardware acceleration on the PC, but the OP will still also need to log into his router and verify it is disabled there too (with routers it's usually called NAT acceleration).

Ahh... I think we've got our wires crossed somewhere. Hardware acceleration is commonly used on video cards, and the link you posted above relates to the video acceleration on video cards. That isn't going to help the issue here.

But hardware acceleration on routers (or NAT acceleration or CTF/FA) is different. I'm not familiar with it, but from what I've read it sounds like a dirty protocol-breaking hack.

Slomo said:
Go into windows and turn OFF hardware acceleration.

Where would that setting be? In the Device Manager properties for the network card? (Can't check as I'm on Linux here.)

I'm puzzled as I've examined/fixed/tweaked countless PCs in my time, but never needed to modify network driver settings from their defaults.

I did, Tiny, and it just stopped the DMZ mode and caused the problem to return

KryanAshford said:
I did, Tiny, and it just stopped the DMZ mode and caused the problem to return

DMZ is controlled from the router not the gaming hardware itself. If your device is set to use a static IP from inside your router you can opt to have that IP in the DMZ. An easy way to do it if your router has this feature is to assign a reserved IP in your router by selecting your gaming devices MAC address. This will tell the router to issue that IP to your gaming hardware anytime that MAC is connected to the router. Then, select that reserved IP in the DMZ control and it will never leave it. And you wont have to worry about changing settings on your gaming hardware.

Using a DMZ in an unnecessary security risk.

I guess it might be worth briefly testing the devices in a DMZ to eliminate any problems caused by UPnP or port forwarding, but otherwise I can't imagine that the OS/game/router could be malfunctioning so badly that you'd need to use a DMZ permanently.

:dunno:

I tried the DMZ on the router it's self, but still have lag problems. I'm still thinking I need a new router. I heard from a friend that mine is outdated

KryanAshford said:
I tried the DMZ on the router it's self, but still have lag problems. I'm still thinking I need a new router. I heard from a friend that mine is outdated

Have you spoken to your ISP about the problems you've been having? I think it would be worth giving them a call to see what they can suggest.

tiny said:
Using a DMZ in an unnecessary security risk.

I guess it might be worth briefly testing the devices in a DMZ to eliminate any problems caused by UPnP or port forwarding, but otherwise I can't imagine that the OS/game/router could be malfunctioning so badly that you'd need to use a DMZ permanently.

:dunno:

Devices like an Xbox don't really pose a security risk being in the DMZ as they don't contain any data like bank information or national secrets. All of that stuff is stored server side on Microsoft's end. UPnP should be able to catch all the services the hardware needs to function but since different games and apps require different services or ports without researching the needs of each one; more times the problem is solved by just exposing the device to the outside world. (DMZ) I would never put anything like my work computer or the computer I use to pay bills in the DMZ. If you have to put a home computer in the DMZ to get a game to work because "people" don't know how to google "port forward netgear R9000", etc, the game isn't worth it at that point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back