Status
Not open for further replies.

KryanAshford

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I'm trying to fix my internet connection. It keeps dropping me while I'm playing online games. I usually play on Xbox and have been getting dropped or laggy issues while playing. Obviously this is becoming annoying and I would like to find a way to fix it. I'm currently running with an AT&T connection and can't seem to get a solid connection with some lag or just a straight disconnect. Any help would be great

I would try restarting your router by unplugging the power cord for ten seconds and plugging it back in wait for everything to re boot then try to play again, try to find a better location for your router or plug a network cable into the back of your router and Xbox. Let me know if that works.

I've done that with every little success before, now it says I have a high packet lose of 28%

KryanAshford said:
I'm trying to fix my internet connection. It keeps dropping me while I'm playing online games. I usually play on Xbox and have been getting dropped or laggy issues while playing. Obviously this is becoming annoying and I would like to find a way to fix it. I'm currently running with an AT&T connection and can't seem to get a solid connection with some lag or just a straight disconnect. Any help would be great

Go into windows and turn OFF hardware acceleration.

I had that same problem for years, and I know it sounds like the opposite should be true. Hardware acceleration tries to speed up a networking card, but actually makes it unstable.

I think my laptop is too new to have the setting I can't seem to find a way to turn it off.

An often over looked issue when diagnosing packet drop is to check the routers SSID settings. If you have a dual band router and your SSIDs are the same you will experience packet drops and disconnects. Unfortunately not all devices can "roam" smoothly across the bands.

Of course this will not apply if you have a single band (2.4ghz only) router.

I'm running a AT&T basic router

- - - Updated - - -

Model 5268AC FXN

That's for his video. He does NOT want to do that if playing games.

Assuming your internet connection is otherwise fine (on all your other devices), one thing I'd try is setting a fixed local IP address for your xbox (in your router settings).

I've had a number of junk ISP-provider routers with really flaky DHCP servers (which allocate local IP addresses automatically).

Once you've set up the fixed address, turn off the router and xbox. Turn on the router, wait till it's booted, turn on the xbox, go to the network settings and tell it to use the fixed IP address instead of DHCP.

There's some info in (what I think is) the instruction manual here:
https://www.dslreports.com/r0/downl...5c4f12556de77ead/5268AC Manual.pdf#G5.1049663

tiny said:
Assuming your internet connection is otherwise fine (on all your other devices), one thing I'd try is setting a fixed local IP address for your xbox (in your router settings).

I've had a number of junk ISP-provider routers with really flaky DHCP servers (which allocate local IP addresses automatically).

Once you've set up the fixed address, turn off the router and xbox. Turn on the router, wait till it's booted, turn on the xbox, go to the network settings and tell it to use the fixed IP address instead of DHCP.

There's some info in (what I think is) the instruction manual here:
https://www.dslreports.com/r0/downl...5c4f12556de77ead/5268AC Manual.pdf#G5.1049663

What you're saying is a little over my head

KryanAshford said:
What you're saying is a little over my head

Oh -- sorry! Looking at the manual, this should do it:

1. Make sure your devices (e.g. xbox, gaming PC) are turned on.
  2. Log in to your router's web interface (this link should work: http://192.168.1.254).
  3. Click the Settings tab, then the LAN tab.
  4. Click IP Address Allocation to see the devices on your network.
  5. Go to the appropriate device (e.g. xbox, gaming PC) and select Address Assignment.
  6. Click Save.
  7. Turn off all devices with static IPs (e.g. xbox, gaming PC).
  8. Turn off your router, wait 5 seconds and turn it back on.
  9. Turn on your other devices.
That should be enough. If not, have a look at the network settings on your devices (xbox, PC) and there should be somewhere you can specify the fixed IP address instead of a dynamically/DHCP assigned one.

Hope it helps! :smile1:

I'm assuming you are subscribed to AT&T Uverse xDSL service?

Also, the AC in the model number of the router would lead me to believe it is a dual band router. On the front does it indicate two possible networks? Like broadband 1 and broadband 2 or wifi 1 and 2?

It could be a line problem or modem problem

babyblueblanket said:
I'm assuming you are subscribed to AT&T Uverse xDSL service?

Also, the AC in the model number of the router would lead me to believe it is a dual band router. On the front does it indicate two possible networks? Like broadband 1 and broadband 2 or wifi 1 and 2?

I am. It is a dual band router.

Have you chatted with AT&T? If you are using their service, and their equipment, I would think they are responsible for making sure it works. I used AT&T back in the mid 2000s. That is a company I will never do business with again.

I would never use a wifi router from an ISP.... they will never control MEEEEEEE

KryanAshford said:
I am. It is a dual band router.

Okay. You want to make sure your SSIDs are named differently. Example, Ashford2.4Ghz and Ashford5.0Ghz or Kryan1 and Kryan2. If they are named the same a device may have a hard time roaming between the bands and will inevitably drop packets or connection.

As well, you want to setup your gaming device to use a static IP address instead of a dynamic (automatically assigned) IP address. You can often times achieve this by modifying the IP reservation settings from within the router while you are verifying your SSID configuration. If IP address reservation is not an option from within the router you can do it from your gaming devices setup menu

(windows 10 - network and sharing center - change adapter properties - IPV4 - so on and so forth) All you will need to know is what IP address is available for use (such as 192.168.1.10) subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0, and the gateway IP address which in your case should be 192.168.1.254 (or the IP address you use to access the admin page of the router) Primary and Secondary DNSs (Sometimes left blank but can risk no connection to the internet on some devices) can also be your gateway IP if you are not sure how to retrieve your providers DNS addresses.

Check these two things out first and if the issue still persists we can go down the next step in the support path. Also, since you are DSL, distance from the DSLAM that you are connected to plays a huge role in the quality of your service. If the DSLAM is 10 miles down the road your for sure going to get packet drops just based on that. In line filters can help improve the service but will not fix it.

PCPilot said:
That's for his video. He does NOT want to do that if playing games.

Actually yes he does. Disabling hardware acceleration actually makes the hardware more stable and run faster overall. This is especially important when running video games.

Slomo said:
Actually yes he does. Disabling hardware acceleration actually makes the hardware more stable and run faster overall. This is especially important when running video games.

Hardware acceleration allows the system to run faster (the clue's in the name). You only need to disable it if it's causing problems.

It won't affect internet dropouts, though, which is the problem the OP has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back