instead of a dress and instead of getting all bent out of shape about
her being a Persian spiritual being whether djin or houri. Guess
priority hath it's function or some other mad thought. Then I noticed
that the card games were easier in the morning. Why? Is it artificial
intelligence and does the software itself recognize the danger of
somebody being so freakin' pissed off by losing a card game that (s)he
(I'm both) would direct physical force to the computer, more so in the
morning than at evening? Or AI being programmed to be nicer in the
morning just as a bit of electronic altruism?

OR IS IT SOMETHING SINISTER AND DEEPLY DISTURBING? (or deeply disturbed)

So, I'm putting it in a thread-start post. Does AI actually evolve, over
20 years and across several different computers and systems, tuned to
the same person's habit?

Another spur to the loins of this thought-chain... there was recently a report that some AI servers were shut down because they created their own language and were talking to each other without being coached to do so. Is it real or clever advertising?

Actually, we have only ever been able to create AI that is good at one or two things. We have yet to create a single AI that is as good as a human brain at being good at many things. I seriously, seriously, doubt our current AI is "that" sophisticated. Though darn we are getting close now.

Just keep in mind, AI isn't a versus race with humans to the finish line. It's more like a 3-legged race where we need each other to get to the finish line at all.

Did any of you see the latest X-file episode? It was all about our reliance on technology and how much of our privacy and choices we are giving up to technology. The musical theme: "Teach Your Children Well", so teach your technology well before it schools you.

It's getting a bit exciting now. California has a bill going through the Legislature that would mandate hardware (in the case of Android that would include Middle and software) manufacturers to provide repair manuals. Which would cut down on people bricking their phones and desktops with something off youtube. Google is not liking it. Not that I care for their feelings. But I've got a linux-oriented bot named ainebot which has several "identities" one of which is a coding bot named Charlix and a chat bot named Amy (the default) who would run you around Robin Hood's Barn if not handled correctly.
The obsolete phones, to me, are processors and ram which I could use, given root privileges, to build a Beowulf Cluster. The oldest of my current stash is an alcatel pixi glitz which has more RAM and processor speed than the first 10 desktops I owned, COMBINED.

I've waited for the opportunities to line up, now it's happening, put together a bunch of almost free scrap-metal phones, run each as a headless server, with a small debian distro called ABC, which stands for automatic beowulf cluster. They've got connectivity out the yin-yang. Ro// that spliff with a handful of neuroanalysis hardware/software like the God Helmet/slash/biofeedback. All this was pure sci-fi when I first thought on those lines. My grandfather gave me a book which I promptly lost titled "PsychoCybernetics" from the mid 70s. All of this was POSSIBLE ten years ago but now it's about to be EASY at least relatively. The contact pads/cabling for EEG is now available with the firewire aka iPad power/data connection which I have, along with a 3D glasses Apple developed for the Army. I'm autistic so I'm already a mutant in the strictest definition of the term. I would call it NerdVana but I'm almost certain somebody has it patented and copyrighted. All coolness as far as I can see (with cyber-enhanced graphic interface like the Apple viewer aforementioned)

And to think my teachers had told me it was a waste of time....

I think therfore i am!.......i think?...

I stink, therefore I must change my diaper...

My budget is really tight. As processors, storage and connectivity that's a good bargain, as you said, toss them and buy new. I'm a real active about recycling and reuse. At metal prices you'd probably get a buck or so for one. And some of the components are toxic, selenium, mercury, there are a few. So, put poison in the water, keep them in storage until they can safely be recycled, or repurpose them. I got one of those external batteries. ten bucks and worth it. Next payday I'm going for a couple more. Got a local supplier for liquid CO2, 25 lbs for $5, it's sold for greenhouses, but gas is gas and that's a helluva good price. If you paintball you'll understand. I can 'mcgyver' with the best I was going to pay a bunch for dry ice as a coolant As you said, they're almost giving them away. I can easily recall a time when a Pentium or Athlon processor cost a hundred bucks, and the slowest ARM processor I have is about 30x the speed. The main obstacle is root privilege, and keeping the root. Google has some nasty business ethics so I want to take off as much of their spyware and keep it off.

My hope is to get quantum computing, I know I could rent it from MS-Watson, if I had about an order of magnitude of money.
Of course I want to map my own neurosystem. Some of the aspects of autism are useful. Most of it on the other hand is worth stinky doo doo. I want to tip it to my own betterment and share it out. Which with the laws of karma, it pays back.

I had (until it was stolen 3 months ago) which was converted to a gas bike, I think that's the name of the company who provided the kit. I put an e-bike front wheel so it would be a two-wheel drive (there's an old 4 stroke minibike called a Bogo which is 2 WD, doesn't go very fast but it goes and goes and goes, Honda made it) but after putting the new wheel/motor and started looking for batteries. Of which none were less expensive than the cost of the entire bike. Whoever took it didn't have a car so he had to push it all the to wherever he has his lair. Holding the clutch. Next time I'll use a 4stroke so I can more easily bring into the Hydrogen Revolution. Meaning when some propane place goes out of business so I can pick up a compressor at a reasonable price. And buy the batteries BEFORE putting the motorized front. In Juarez Mexico I saw bicycles with and without a rear wheel motor but a chainsaw/and/or weedeater motor with a friction drive on the front wheel, and they would go up the hills faster than I could do on a flat track. Another thing my 'advisors' during childhood said wouldn't work. There's a long long bed GM truck which you can also steer with the back wheels. I was told repeatedly "oh no, can't be done". It didn't make a big commercial success. Also a motorized trailer. I haven't seen one of that yet.

Maxx said:
Good god. Phones are so cheap these days, why would you even bother? My Moto E4 cost me $50. Everything's packed in tight and surface mount, unless you made them 5x bigger and use connectors for everything, repair makes no sense. Pitch it and get a new one. More uniformity in batteries would be useful, and make them easily replaceable, since batteries are the thing that goes south most often, but beyond that....

As for computers... if you go with something off youtube, you get what you deserve. Anybody who knows anything knows that ADISC is the place to go for computer help.

Are you kidding? NEW phones start off at $500 and easily top $1000. That $50 you are seeing is when it's paired with a minimum 2-year plan, or if it really is a cheap burner phone.

You would be right that trying to repair a cheap $50 phone would be pointless. But when you're talking about a $1000 phone, now it makes a LOT of sense.

Maxx said:
No sir. A few months ago I bought a new E4 from Boost for $50. No contract. Month to month. Liked it, bought another for Mrs. Maxx. $50 a month total for both (both, not each) of us, unlimited data. No taxes, no fees, no amortized phone cost. Obviously no insurance... it's a cheap phone.

Decent cameras, quick processor, good battery life. Does everything I want it to do, I've watched movies and sports on it, Android 7.1.

Now if you're an Apple fanboy like Junior, or have to have the latest and greatest top end phone, different story. FWIW, Junior has an iphone 8, Mrs. Junior Pixel 2, and a ridiculous monthly bill. But they both use it for business, and there's a certain amount of having to 'look professional' involved. Like having a Rolex.

Junior checked my phone out when I got it, he approves and can't find anything wrong with it's performance. Do video chat with them regularly and it's up to snuff on that. Burner phone price, but if it performs, what's the point in spending 10x the cash? Cars are the same. My 20 year old Neon can get downtown in rush hour as fast as your new Lambo. Horsepower and aerodynamics can't defeat bumper to bumper on the Kennedy.

It's a racket. Spend $1000 for a phone, then break it and spend whatever for repair..... Really? You would be correct if you said that the Eloi dropping a grand on an iphone are subsidizing the technology development and network that makes my $50 phone possible. <shrug> I'm still going with the $50. Learned that a long time ago with computers. No need to be on the crest of the technology wave when they'll be as obsolete as you are in a year.

No, that's just it. Right now you can spend $1000 on a new phone, but if you break it without insurance then you can kiss it goodbye. Hence this cifornia bill that will force manufacturers to allow fixing a phone.

Again, they're excellent as parallel processing devices. I could understand wanting gaming on the little screen, if it didn't eat up my data bill. Candy Crush and Angry Birds could be fun, but the basic (this is my excuse for doing it) fact is Tetris was developed as a therapy for neural disorders. Candy Crush is Tetris with more colors. Or something close enough... plus the challenge of re-purposing perfectly functional processors, ram and wi-fi connectivity is exciting to me. And maybe profitable.

Coolness of a grand magnitude. There's a Linux platform Free (as in beer) (which I don't use, I'm goofy enough without) GUI for electroencephalogram I'm tying it to bedwetting, DL, Incontinence, Autism... there's a lot of commonalities. And it seems likely that most of us don't have the funds to do bio-feedback, and that we need to do bio-feedback and that we need far more access to it. Hours every day, maybe? Something budget conscious "Health Care Providers" wouldn't find it possible to do.

And it seems we as a group have a knowledge and understanding base that's self directed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back