ABUniverse PeekABU Advanced Diaper Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
The PeekABU is a new diaper by ABUniverse (ABU) being released in March 2018 which they advertise as "the world's most absorbent diaper ever", promising 25% higher capacity than their previous premium line of LittlePawz/Space/Simple. This claim is bold: the difference in capacity between most high-end "premium" medical diapers and the previous wave of "super premium" ABDL diapers was itself around 25%. PeekABU purports to do this with a new SAP which allows the diaper to start thinner and expand more than previous products. PeekABU follows in the footsteps of the ABU PreSchool by having 4 different prints in the same bag, with differing full-panel landing zone prints on an otherwise all-white diaper. This diaper was originally slated for release several months prior, but citing production issues, ABU delayed it and simultaneously announced a companion all-white version called the Simple Ultra.

I am reviewing the medium size as provided as a sample for review by ABUniverse in February 2018. The sizing information is not available as of this writing. Assuming that it matches the sizing for most other ABU diapers, this would mean that the small is listed as fitting waists of 22"-29", the medium is listed as fitting waists of 31"-36", the large is listed as fitting waists of 37"-44", and the extra-large is listed as fitting waists of 45"-52".

Appearance, Size, and Features

The ABU PeekABU has printed packaging similar to other ABU products with a printed panel partially filling the front of on other otherwise transparent package. The panel has the 4 print characters peeking out from the 4 sides with the diaper logo in the center.

297-11-packfront.JPG

297-12-packside.JPG

Front and Side of Packaging

It immediately stood out that the pack is noticeably more compact than that of ABU LittlePawz/Space/Simple, living up to the claim that PeekABU starts as a thinner diaper.

297-13-packcompare1.JPG

297-14-packcompare2.JPG

Side-by-Side Comparison of PeekABU and LittlePawz Packaging

The PeekABU is a white plastic diaper with four different full-panel landing zone prints, each depicting an animal character peeking out from the diaper, as drawn by babyfur artist Aito. The characters include a giraffe with blue spots, a raccoon, a blue husky, and a green animal with horns and blue hair that is not obvious but which was described in a Twitter poll as an orc. The characters each sit on a colored backdrop with a repeating motif of colored shapes including stars, circles, squares, and triangles. A contrasting color frames the outside outline of the landing zone print. The panels use bold and vibrant colors rather than pastel tones.

Placed equidistant from the center of the landing zone are two blue stars. On the left, is one which encloses an "8" and on the right is one that encloses the ABU logo – meant to suggest that this is a print on a "size 8" baby diaper, which is a bit of an ABDL trope. What I didn't initially appreciate before putting the diaper on is that these are actually a functional part of the print in that they are consistent reference points for placing the lower tapes across all 4 prints.

When first announced, the PeekABU print received some community skepticism for being too "furry". I not only wholeheartedly disagree, but I am going to lay down a marker and say that I think that, excluding replica prints, this is the most authentic print ever made for an ABDL diaper.

For roughly the past 20 years, nearly every baby diaper print from Pampers or Luvs, at least in the US market, has featured a head shot image of anthropromorphic animal or muppet character on the landing zone panel. Usually, these have been branded characters from popular television shows for preschool-aged children, and occasionally they have been unbranded animal characters such as the zoo animal theme seen on Pampers products around 2000. Typically, these prints have involved a character doing some type of aspirational "big kid" activity such as reading a book, but the concept of just having a character head peek over the edge was actually done on Pampers circa 2011. As baby diapers moved towards cloth-like covers and all-over prints, they had a design pairing characters on the landing zone with a coordinated print on the rest of the diaper. One counterargument to this defense of PeekABU's print that I've seen is that the specific anthropromorphic flavor of baby diaper character prints is somewhat specific to US versus non-US baby diaper prints – that the issue is the anthropromorphism, not the animal character across the landing zone – but I think this is an inherently bizarre argument to make about a print coming from a US ABDL company.

I've honestly wondered why nobody had made a print like this sooner. I've assumed it was purely due to technical limitations, as I think the idea is intuitively obvious – that of course the most accurate baby diaper print an ABDL company could make would have the landing zone be one or a couple animal characters either just looking out from the panel or doing something. Notably, most of ABU's diaper stickers have followed from this concept; it just hadn't been done as the base print of an actual diaper before. The last gasp of all-white plastic-backed major-brand baby diapers had full-printed landing zones with head-shot images of anthropromorphic characters, with multiple different prints in the same bag. PeekABU is extremely believable as a design reminiscent of that era.

297-1-FrontFolded.JPG

297-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Diaper, Respectively

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 9.3 cm (3.7 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 3.1 cm (1.2 in).

297-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

The ABU PeekABU uses a double-tape design with tapes that measure 4.1 cm (1.6 in) wide each. They are the same as the other clear tapes used on other ABU products.

297-4-tapes.JPG

The Tapes

The outer plastic of the diaper has a soft, smooth, oily feel to it.

The inside of the diaper is all-white and the padding is arranged in an hourglass shape. The padding feels soft, flat, and dense but not overly hard. There is a center area that feels less dense than the sides, arranged like a channel, and if you hold the diaper up to a light it shines through this center area more easily. The diaper has standing leak guards. It features elastic waistbands in both front and back.

297-5-outside.JPG

297-15-outside2.JPG

297-16-outside3.JPG

297-17-outside4.JPG

297-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper, Including All 4 Prints

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 75.9 cm (29.9 in) in length, 63.9 cm (25.2 in) in width at the wings, 29.4 cm (11.6 in) in width at the center, and 22.0 cm (8.7 in) in width between the leak guards.

297-7-length.JPG

297-8-widthwing.JPG

297-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I performed two tests.

First, I weighed a diaper and put it on. I then repeatedly dosed water into the front of it in 100 mL increments using a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser, followed by sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, then checking for leaks. When a leak occurred, I weighed the diaper again, and recorded the change in weight.

Over 3 replicates of this H2O capacity test, the ABU PeekABU averaged 2584 mL with a standard deviation of 251 mL.

During one trial of this test, I recorded qualitative information about the diaper as I added water to it. After 500 mL of water, the top part of the diaper under the landing zone was starting to feel very wet but the broader front of the diaper still felt dry. At 1000 mL the front was so widely expanded that I couldn't close my legs while sitting and it took effort to do so while standing. At 1300 mL the sides of my legs felt constantly wet. At 1500 mL I felt like I was sitting at the edge of a puddle. At 2000 mL I felt like I was half sitting in a puddle. At 2200 mL, I felt like I was fully sitting in a puddle. At 2500 mL, the diaper was sagging quite a bit as I stood. At 2600 mL, I felt like I was sitting in a pond. At 2700 mL, I felt liquid moving underneath me and the diaper leaked.

I folded the diaper back up to compare its thickness to a dry diaper. It had expanded to roughly 12.7 cm (5.0 in), about 4.1x its original size, a notably extreme result.

297-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I then performed a second test in which I made normal saline (0.9% NaCl in H2O), weighed a diaper and put it on, then used a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser to dose 160 mL saline every 5 minutes until it leaked, sitting down between increments. I weighed the diaper afterwards and divided the resulting change in grams by 1.0046 to account for the density of saline to determine the change in milliliters. 160 mL is approximately equivalent to half of an average adult urine void, and this increment is loosely representative of a "half-flood".

Over 3 replicates of this saline capacity test, the ABU PeekABU averaged 1506 mL with a standard deviation of 96 mL. Rounded to numbers of integer "half-flood" doses, the diaper averaged 9.3 "half-floods" with a standard deviation of 0.6 "half-floods".

The tapes mostly held firm throughout these tests – actually so well that I have to give the unusual caveat that on one of my trials an upper tape actually ripped from the wing rather than slide on the panel on one of the last increments.

The average dry mass of this diaper, based on 6 replicates across both tests, was 194.3 g with a standard deviation of 2.0 g.

I weighed and put on a fresh diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted a total of 7.5 hours before beginning to leak. During my test, I had about 6 wettings and 1 floods, recording a change in mass of 1285 g or roughly 8.0 "half-floods". This number is low relative to what might be expected from my testing, and I think more than other diapers it's meaningful here because anecdotally I can say that during the saline testing and when trying the diaper other times, it seemed clear that somewhere around 2/3 of the tested capacity, the diaper could be made to spot leak by sitting down too quickly or oddly before it had some time to absorb the liquid. I think my test result, while valid for my carefully-controlled test conditions, might overestimate real-world use a bit because this diaper seemed to have repeated issues wicking fast enough as it got towards its outer limits. All of that said, these test results still are exceptionally high, and rank it on the same tier currently only occupied by Crinklz rather than the tier occupied by the previous round of high-end ABDL products such as ABU LittlePawz/Space/Simple and Tykables Overnights.

With a 36" waist, I am at the top end of listed size range for the medium ABU products. I normally wear size medium in other diaper brands. This diaper seemed to fit my size well, and the thinner starting profile made it feel a bit roomier, at least at first. I wondered beforehand whether the tapes would be up to the task of a diaper that is intended to expand more substantially, but the tapes held great without little to no slippage at all.

Price and Final Thoughts

I received a pack of these diapers for the purposes of a review from https://abuniverse.com/. Without shipping, both PeekABU and the all-white version, Simple Ultra, will be available at launch in single diaper samples for $6.00 (with a $5 discount for a future order for every two sample diapers ordered across brands), 10-diaper packs for $39.99, 40-diaper half-cases for $94.99, and 80-diaper cases at $179.99. ABU no longer includes shipping in its prices, and now adds $1 for samples, $5 for single packs, $8 for half-cases, and $12 for cases, bringing the final case price to $191.99.

At the case size, this works out to $2.40/diaper and based on my test results this diaper holds 3.9 "half-floods" per dollar. This price means PeekABU is both meaningfully more expensive than most of the competition, but balanced against an exceptional capacity placing on a higher tier than nearly the whole market, it still delivers at this price as one of most efficient diapers in efficiency of capacity for price.

Furthermore, PeekABU has, I strongly argue, the most realistic non-replica ABDL diaper print to date. This is a well-done print which really does feel authentic to me, paired with the further authenticity of multiple prints per pack. Compared to other top contenders, PeekABU has the most authentic print.

Still, the high price and a lingering concern about absorption speed as the diaper nears capacity are keeping me from endorsing this as "the" rather than just "one of" the best diapers on the market. Right now it's a clear contender for that title, representing one set of trade-offs versus the other contenders. It's on the same capacity tier as Crinklz with a design that's actually believable but it costs fully 1/3 more than Crinklz and is therefore much less efficient. It has greater capacity than and I'd personally say more authentic print than Tykables Overnights, but the Overnights are roughly as efficient at their lower price and have superior tapes. The ABU BareBum at a far lower price point still clobbers all other ABU products in efficiency and strikes some middle ground in efficiency and realism between Crinklz and other contenders. Depending on what exactly an individual ABDL values most, there are strong arguments for "best overall" for PeekABU but not enough to deliver knockout blows versus the other top contenders; to my mind, this means we've entered into a really exciting time for ABDL diapers where the competition is fierce with the envelope being pushed on multiple fronts at the same time.

As an overall diaper, PeekABU is extremely impressive. It excels in both capacity and realism; it has the complete package of appeals. There are going to be a lot of ABDLs who will try this and find it to be the best diaper they've ever worn, and very few who will be disappointed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MegaLugia, DiscreetDL, BearTale and 2 others
First, thank you for your time to do this review.

Fruitkitty said:
I think my test result, while valid for my carefully-controlled test conditions, might overestimate real-world use a bit because this diaper seemed to have repeated issues wicking fast enough as it got towards its outer limits.

Wicking will be the #1 goal for revisions in the future. It is essential for a diaper of this capacity in my mind.

-Casey Strom, ABU

Reactions: moospresso, ronnieM and MASONJAR
:thumbsup:
klo555 said:
First, thank you for your time to do this review.

Wicking will be the #1 goal for revisions in the future. It is essential for a diaper of this capacity in my mind.

-Casey Strom, ABU

wow they get thick

Hmm, double chance tapes AND a tape landing zone. Interesting (I do love the tape prints). Though the top tapes are a little low to be highly effective (really the spacing between the top and lower tapes is not enough), regardless I am intrigued and wonder how they match up to the current top runner premium diaper. I may just have to test them out again.

Looking at ABU's webpage I see that a pack of these diapers are really expensive, and comparing them to Betterdry and the ABDL variant. The new ABU diaper isn't really a contender to Betterdry in terms of capacity and absorbancy, add in that Betterdry diapers are half the cost (In Europe) it's not hard to put out the verdict, the winner is Betterdry on all categories.

What brand of past diapers are you referring to when you reference their authenticity?

ABU review

[This is a copy post from the PeekABU thoughts thread- just so I could get it in the right reviews thread as well https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/115181-PeekABU-Thoughts?p=1519772#post1519772]. So I've been wearing the new PeekABU diapers for the last 5 days (late Aprin 2018) & though I'd give an in-depth review of my own. Since Crinklz is my normal go-to diaper I'll be comparing it to them. Also attached are pictures for everyone to look at.

Appearance/Sizing. ABU diapers all tend to fit a little on the small/average side, and these hold true to that model. They are about 1" smaller of a cut all the way around the entire diaper as compared to Crinklz. Except for in the crotch area which is the same width. This would be good since that's where the padding is needed the most, but there's a catch. With both diapers allowed to expand out of the bag, PeekABU appears to be only slightly thinner than Crinklz. This is highly misleading though, as PeekABU has a much thinner center core running the length of the diaper. It is so thin you can actually see light coming through the padding when held up to a light- but with no light around the outer edges. So overall it is definitely a thinner diaper. Oh, and I find I like the colorful and babyish looks of the characters "peeking" over the top part of the diaper.

Tapes. These are much improved versus other ABU diapers, with the lower tapes actually positioned just far enough down to be called "lower". You can even tape them on fully below the tape landing zone. This finally allows for a snug enough fit around the legs, though I do wish they were a positioned about 1/2" lower on the back wings so they would line up with the front wings a little better. That is, not needing to be angled down any.

One very major problem that continues with ABU tapes in general though, is the spacing between the upper and lower tapes. They are still just way too close together. The top tapes would work much better if they were positioned another 2" or even 3" higher. As they are now, you have to try and angle to top tapes up as much as you can. They end up landing at the very top of the landing zone panel, but that's still another 2" too low. As such, the top tapes are not able to be secured at the belt line (or just above the hip bones). And that causes the diaper to sag really bad and even fall down.

Yet another problem I found with the tapes is when you secure them to the shell anywhere off of the harder landing zone plastic, then they will not come off without ripping the shell. This means you have only one shot to get it right. Worse still, when the diaper gets heavy or stretches from wearing them more than a couple hours you won't be able to re-tighten the tapes. You absolutely will need a onesie, tighty whitey underwear, or something else to help keep the diaper up and in place.

Performance. Don't get me wrong, these are the first ABU diapers that won't leak around the legs (usually within 4 hours) while fully using them. I stay well hydrated, usually taking in about 64 ounces of water per day (that nearly a full 2 liter bottle- per day). That means I pee a heck of a lot. These diapers have a fair amount of sap in them, but not as much as Crinklz does. Overall, I found they will last about 12 hours before getting ready to leak. Out of 10 diapers I had one very minor leak around the legs during the day, and a second one with another minor leak over the top while attempting to sleep in (I am a side sleeper). Both were around the 13 hour mark, and both felt over saturated like they just couldn't hold any more.

The padding also has less coverage than Crinklz, with the front and back or the padding coming up about 1" less (meaning more dead plastic space than it should have). They do swell when wet, but surprising not all that much. The wicking was also ok, but not as good a Crinklz which will saturate all the way to the back before leaking. Both times I saturated the PeekABU diapers to their leak point, but the back 3-4 inches was still dry.

Pricing. A major downside is these diapers only come per packages of 10, which I bought larges directly from ABU's website. One pack will cost about $45 with shipping. That breaks down to $4.50 per diaper, which is incredibly high. With 2 diapers used per day, that would be a whopping $9.00 per day. As comparison, large Crinklz bought from Northshore cost about $121 for a case of 60, or $2.02 per diaper. And while these can last 24 hours I always change every 12 anyways just to avoid rashes/smells. So the same 2 per day only cost $4.04. Way less than even half the cost of PeekABU.

For all these reasons, I wouldn't recommend anyone use PeekABU as their go-to diaper- especially anyone who needs diapers 24/7. Again, don't get me wrong on this though. They certainly are very well performing, and great for periodic indulging. Dare I say they may even be ABU's first premium grade diaper. Very well improved over their other brands, but still with lots of room for further improvements.

https://www.adisc.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30864&d=1524695298
https://www.adisc.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30862&d=1524691980
https://www.adisc.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30861&d=1524691973
https://www.adisc.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30860&d=1524691959

The wicking issue is a red flag for me. Sadly I won't be trying these until they fix that.

Just wanted to post a little update here:
The new batch that has been manufactured and will be available for reservation as soon as we have concrete arrival times, which we will know soon.

Unfortunately, the landing panel has the same placement, but, there are a few improvements that I want to touch on:
1.) Wicking is better. No more pooling during our testing. This is due to modifications made to the core and final embossing and helps to channel fluid better.
2.) Tapes have been moved. Bottom tape is now lower, top tape is now higher. They are, however, wider in distance than the landing panel, but we're finding this isn't a problem at all.
3.) For those that had tapes popping off, this issue has also been improved upon. This batch we used more weight when stamping down the tapes onto the diaper, so they shouldn't have any issues. We've not had any failures.

Same materials are used otherwise. I'm going to guess that reservations will be available to be made this Thursday/Friday, with a ship by date of June 10th. Customers on the west coast and Canada will receive their orders much earlier as the cargo hitting the west coast will arrive sooner than the cargo arriving on the east coast.

klo555 said:
Just wanted to post a little update here:
The new batch that has been manufactured and will be available for reservation as soon as we have concrete arrival times, which we will know soon.

Unfortunately, the landing panel has the same placement, but, there are a few improvements that I want to touch on:
1.) Wicking is better. No more pooling during our testing. This is due to modifications made to the core and final embossing and helps to channel fluid better.
2.) Tapes have been moved. Bottom tape is now lower, top tape is now higher. They are, however, wider in distance than the landing panel, but we're finding this isn't a problem at all.
3.) For those that had tapes popping off, this issue has also been improved upon. This batch we used more weight when stamping down the tapes onto the diaper, so they shouldn't have any issues. We've not had any failures.

Same materials are used otherwise. I'm going to guess that reservations will be available to be made this Thursday/Friday, with a ship by date of June 10th. Customers on the west coast and Canada will receive their orders much earlier as the cargo hitting the west coast will arrive sooner than the cargo arriving on the east coast.

Wow you guys are fast, thanks

Reactions: PlastiBrain
I'm hoping to try these very soon they sound like just what I want to try.

I'm hoping that the revisions to these fix the wicking issue since I'd love to have something with the absorbancy of crinklez that also has reliable tapes.

klo555 said:
I'm going to guess that reservations will be available to be made this Thursday/Friday, with a ship by date of June 10th.

That was two weeks ago, any updates for us? I see the M and L are available for pre-order but no X in either peekabu or simple ultra.

Just to chime in with my experience wearing peekabu.

After the diaper gets like 30-40% full there is moisture leaking out of the legbands, making my legs constantly wet. I kept thinking i was leaking everytime I wet because i would feel that moisture seeping out. It's because the diaper was absorbing so slowly that there was a puddle forming, even for small wets. And if I was sitting down it would flow over the leakguards.

I really wanted to like the peekabu. The design is unique and playful, it has white on it, and fits well.... but I was afraid it wouldn't wick/absorb quick enough with the high sap content, and it seems my fears were right.

If the wicking/absorption issue is fixed It might be worth the price point, but before that I don't see its use for anything other than a play diaper for looks. No point having the highest capacity if you cannot take advantage of it.

Excellent review.

Fruitkitty said:
green animal with horns and blue hair that is not obvious but which was described in a Twitter poll as an orc

I thought it was supposed to be a Dragon? Cute designs but that one is definitely my favourite

Reactions: PlastiBrain
If u Don't like it then pee standing up Like I do :) and give it time to absorb before u sit in it :) Simple:) Lol Due to my 114lbs 52kg weight I can Fit in Pampers 6 and 7 and Can say that If u do pee while sitting they will leak too but won't leak if u stand up and don't flood them too fast. IT all depends on your body shape too If diaper is not perfectly fitting you this might be the issue too:) I notice Leaks on my Medium PEEK when it Reaches 5200 ML capacity. If u sit in it it will not leak at all until then.

- - - Updated - - -

Also U need to drink around 2 Gallons of either Coca Cola or Water to make full use of the diaper absorbency :) AKA reach 6250ml on Scales when you weigh it after.

I just got an email that my new version peekABUs arrive on the 7th ( : I will post about my experience after I've tried them.

The new Peekabus are AMAZING! I've never worn something so absorbent before. They are clearly a step up from littlepawz. Also, unlike some competitors *cough cough* crinkles *cough* *cough* the tapes stay on for the whole time.

- - - Updated - - -

FruitKitty should probably re-review them

Update:
Now that I've had a week or so to try the new peekabus, I can safely say that I've never felt so emotionally comfortable with a diaper before. Don't let the small starting measurements fool you, these get nice and thick after you pee a few times. Also, the top quality tapes allow for a snug fit which I like.

Back