Tykables Overnights Advanced Diaper Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
The Tykables Overnights is a new and substantially overhauled version of the Tykables Waddler Overnight released in October 2017. Tykables, which has moved increasingly to offer a wide range of ABDL clothing other than diapers, had been out of stock of all of its diapers for many months, but in early September 2017 finally announced that its flagship diaper would return with a substantial redesign.

The new Overnights advertised a higher capacity than the original Waddler Overnight, an updated print using their current iteration of the animal characters seen throughout their product lines, and what they have termed their "Active Littles Grip" refastenable hook-and-loop system on an otherwise plastic-backed diaper. Hook-and-loop tapes are a still-novel feature for ABDL diapers that had not previously been implemented well and at a competitive price point.

I am reviewing the Size 1 (medium) Overnights as purchased in October 2017. The Size 1 (medium) is listed as fitting waists of 28"-36", the Size 2 (large) is listed as fitting waists of 34"-48", and the Size 3 (extra-large) is listed as fitting waists of 48"-60".

This is a review that has been updated and upgraded to our advanced diaper review format. This diaper was brand new in October 2017, and the diaper has been largely out of stock since then. Additional testing was performed using diapers from a case purchased in October 2017.

Appearance, Size, and Features

The Tykables Overnights has very detailed all-over printed packaging, with most sides displaying different information. The front is red, green, and blue with stars, showing the size, several of the characters from the print, logos, and a standard warning about the suffocation hazard to small children of the bag – the latter of which is a very authentic touch. One side shows an image of the diaper with features listed, and the other has a "bedtime checklist" and a transparent window through which you can see the diaper unobstructed. The top of the package has the name on a blue starry sky.

This is both one of the most impressive ABDL diaper packages ever designed and one that still feels rough around the edges. The text on side with the image of the diaper has inconsistent capitalization. The bedtime checklist, which is not a feature of baby diaper packages and is clearly meant to be a checklist for an adult with items like "Brush teeth" and "Plug in phone" contrasts with elements like having the suffocation warning for small children. It's vibrant and interesting, certainly one of the best packages yet made in the ABDL community, but I find it to not quite cross the threshold of feeling truly authentic.

293-24-OvernightsPackFront.JPG

293-25-OvernightsPackSide.JPG

293-26-OvernightsPackSide2.JPG

293-27-OvernightsPackTop.JPG

The Overnights have an all-over print with a blue and white moon pattern on the wings, a white center field with images of their animal characters in bedtime clothing and fade-away stars, and a pink, green, and blue wavy border between them. When stacked, the border area is visible and the bright color contrast is very eye-catching. The print differs from the original print primarily in the complexity of the characters in the center. The hook and loop panel is slightly opaque and feels textured to the touch. I do feel broadly that the print is believable as a modern baby diaper print.

283-1-FrontFolded.JPG

283-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Diaper, Respectively

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 11.6 cm (4.6 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 3.9 cm (1.5 in).

283-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

The Overnights use a double-tape design with hook-and-loop fasteners that they have advertised as their "Active Littles Grips". They measure 5.0 cm (2.0 in) wide each, which is unusually wide for double tapes, and are attached to the wings similar to traditional tapes unlike the previous stretch-side implementation seen on the Bambino Magnifico.

Hook-and-loop tapes have several clear advantages in that they grip extremely well relative to traditional tapes and can be infinitely fastened and refastened without losing any of that grip. They have been the default on baby diapers in combination with cloth-like covers for a decade and a half, but have yet to meaningfully penetrate the ABDL diaper market. Tykables split the difference and implemented hook-and-loop tapes on an otherwise plastic-backed diaper. This is perhaps the least authentic aspect with respect to modern baby diapers, but it makes for a superior diaper functionally than traditional tapes on a fully plastic diaper.

One caveat to these tapes – I've had a lot of anecdotal issues with ripping them from the wings. They are not able to take the same force when initially taping up the diaper as I'm used to from nearly all other diapers, so there's a need to go slowly and carefully while putting the diaper on.

283-4-tapes.JPG

The Tapes

The inside of the diaper is white with a rectangular aqua-colored center core, and to the touch this appears to roughly mark an area of higher density. The padding is arranged in an hourglass shape. The padding feels dense with a firm and oily cotton texture. The diaper has standing leak guards. It features elastic waistbands in both the front and back.

283-5-outside.JPG

283-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 79.2 cm (31.2 in) in length, 63.0 cm (24.8 in) in width at the wings, 33.4 cm (13.1 in) in width at the center, and 20.2 cm (8.0 in) in width between the leak guards.

283-7-length.JPG

283-8-widthwing.JPG

283-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I performed two tests.

First, I weighed a diaper and put it on. I then repeatedly dosed water into the front of it in 100 mL increments using a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser, followed by sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, then checking for leaks. When a leak occurred, I weighed the diaper again, and recorded the change in weight.

Over 3 replicates of this H2O capacity test, the Tykables Overnights averaged 2526 mL with a standard deviation of 205 mL.

During one trial of this test, I recorded qualitative information about the diaper as I added water to it. After 500 mL of water, the swell of the front of the diaper was becoming apparent and by 600 mL it took effort to close my legs while sitting. At 900 mL, I started to first have water reach the leg cuffs, but only at 1300 mL did the front fade-when-wet stars fully disappear as the diaper continued to swell substantially in the front. At 1500 mL, there was slight wetness at the cuff but the padding where I sat still felt dry. At 1700 mL I started feeling bulk building where I sat and was sitting in dampness, with the cuffs feeling wet inside. At 1900 mL I felt like I was sitting in a puddle. At 2000 mL, I felt outer wetness at the top of the leg cuffs, and noted a lot of bulk below me when standing. At 2200 mL I felt like I was sitting fully in a deep puddle. At 2300 mL I felt like I was sitting on a squishy wet foam block and the diaper leaked.

I folded the diaper back up to compare its thickness to a dry diaper. It had expanded to roughly 12.5 cm (4.9 in), about 3.2x its original size. The tapes did not budge at all throughout this test.

283-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I then performed a second test in which I made normal saline (0.9% NaCl in H2O), weighed a diaper and put it on, then used a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser to dose 160 mL saline every 5 minutes until it leaked, sitting down between increments. I weighed the diaper afterwards and divided the resulting change in grams by 1.0046 to account for the density of saline to determine the change in milliliters. 160 mL is approximately equivalent to half of an average adult urine void, and this increment is loosely representative of a "half-flood".

Over 3 replicates of this saline capacity test, the Tykables Overnights averaged 1151 mL with a standard deviation of 49 mL. Rounded to numbers of integer "half-flood" doses, the diaper averaged 7.3 "half-floods" with a standard deviation of 0.6 "half-floods".

The average dry mass of this diaper, based on 6 replicates across both tests, was 200.8 g with a standard deviation of 3.7 g.

I weighed and put on a fresh diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted a total of 6 hours before it leaked badly on a flood. During my test, I had 5 wettings and 2 floods and recorded a change in mass of 1441 g or about 9.0 "half-floods". This is high relative to my testing but also expected in a scenario where I used it to near-capacity and then leaked badly by flooding it well over capacity.

With a 36" waist, I am at the top of the listed size range for the medium Tykables Overnights. I normally wear size medium in other diaper brands. This diaper seemed to fit my size well and in general had a very roomy fit.

The hook-and-loop tapes held well through all of my testing, never moving a bit through any of it. Over my regular use testing, they had far less tendency to pull and fold than even the best tapes I've seen on other diapers, and notably they would be easily re-attachable if they ever did need it. Even better, I feel free to take multiple attempts to get the perfect fit when putting these diapers on in the first place, and I fully expect that they will perform more consistently than competing products for this reason.

Price and Final Thoughts

I purchased a case of these diapers from https://tykables.com/. They are available in 10, 20, 40, and 80 packs. Pricing for Overnights is $35.00/10, $65.00/20, $85.00/40, and $155.00/80. Prices include shipping.

At the case size, this works out to $1.94/diaper and based on my test results this diaper holds 3.8 "half-floods" per dollar. This price is a bit below average relative to the rest of the market and with its excellent capacity the Tykables Overnight is one of the top few most cost-efficient ABDL diapers currently available in the United States. This price point was notable for being a spot-on match of ABU Space/LittlePawz/Simple at release, but the recent addition of a shipping charge to ABU products has made the Tykables Overnights substantially more attractive by comparison. These diapers are more similar than different – they are almost identical in thickness, have the same listed capacity, include all of the bells and whistles like fade-when-wet designs, all-over prints, dual waistbands, and so forth, but between the now significant advantage in price and the already superior tapes, I think the Tykables Overnights are now a very clear-cut winner in that comparison.

I stated in my October review that Tykables Overnights were now the best ABDL diaper. Compared to their main rivals, at least in the US market, that was a true statement then. Just a couple months after, NorthShoreCare to little fanfare started distributing Thrust Vector Crinklz, bringing it to the US market in a big way at competitive price for the first time. Today, just 5 months later, ABU is about to release PeekABU. Both of these other diapers have trade-offs versus Tykables Overnights and aren't as closely analogous to Overnights as the LittlePawz/Space/Simple from which Tykables so recently won its title belt. Tykables Overnights remain the only ABDL diaper to have implemented hook-and-loop well, and functionally are all-around excellent.

So, as of this update, I think I'd move Tykables Overnights down a notch from "clear champion" to "one of the editor's top choices". They certainly have a claim to still being the best, but it's now very credibly contested. The best way to figure this out is, of course, to buy them and try them out for yourself.

LOL, price per diaper, and not price per day. Now that's a classic fail.

There's no problems with the tapes , (I've worn 5 ) and haven't managed to rip 1 tape off yet

The misgiving I have about the Velcro fasteners, is that you cannot roll the diaper up and seal it for disposal after use. So, this makes me hesitant to purchase.

Honeywell6180 said:
The misgiving I have about the Velcro fasteners, is that you cannot roll the diaper up and seal it for disposal after use. So, this makes me hesitant to purchase.

Our product has adhesive right below the Active Little Grips so you can roll them up.

todaler said:
Our product has adhesive right below the Active Little Grips so you can roll them up.

I will have to try some soon, in that case. But what I would need to know, is whether or not you are able to keep a consistent supply of the mediums. That has been an issue with other vendors lately. One positive, is that your business is closer to my location than others, which helps.

I have found that the Standing Leak Guards Fail Every time... (with moderate to heavy use) The elastic bands that hold
"up" the standing leak guards separate from the attachment points... Hence the leak guards lays flat and the diaper leaks past the "Leg Guards" with in mho need work too! The Tabs, on the other hand are Awesome! The advertised absorbency numbers maybe correct if you stand like a statue and Don't Move! :)

Honeywell6180 said:
I will have to try some soon, in that case. But what I would need to know, is whether or not you are able to keep a consistent supply of the mediums. That has been an issue with other vendors lately. One positive, is that your business is closer to my location than others, which helps.

We of course are working to bring in an adaquit stock of all of our produts with our new manufacture and it will only get better as we move along.

- - - Updated - - -

Yellowballoon57 said:
I have found that the Standing Leak Guards Fail Every time... (with moderate to heavy use) The elastic bands that hold
"up" the standing leak guards separate from the attachment points... Hence the leak guards lays flat and the diaper leaks past the "Leg Guards" with in mho need work too! The Tabs, on the other hand are Awesome! The advertised absorbency numbers maybe correct if you stand like a statue and Don't Move! :)

I am sorry to hear about this. Have you contacted us about this issue? I do not recall anyone brining something like this to my attention.

todaler said:
We of course are working to bring in an adaquit stock of all of our produts with our new manufacture and it will only get better as we move along.

- - - Updated - - -

This is very nice to know. Your subscription price also looks affordable.

Back