Tykables is now available on NappiesRUs, are they worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkjo

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm curious about its "Active Little Grips" tapes that are infinitely refastenable and arguably superior compared to regular tapes, and they seem to have excellent capacity and cute prints, too. However they are quite expensive, costs £17.95 for a pack of 10, compared to ABU Space, which costs £15.49 (also pack of 10).

If you've tried it, what do you think? Thanks for the advice.

There's quite a few differences between the waddlers and the space so its hard to just say one is better than the other. You'll have to compare their features and decide which is the better value for what you want I guess.

Waddlers are thinner and stiffer when dry. Although they fit "a little boxy" at first, they seem to quickly adjust their shape and are very comfortable. The ability to move the tapes many times isn't that big of a deal, it's not like you need to move them every 10 minutes. If I'm wearing for a long time I will need to make one or two adjustments before it's time to change. The adhesives on the space don't seem to have a problem with a few moves. So I don't consider the "refastenability" to be that big of a deal with the waddlers. at least when compared to space. Some other diapers aren't as good with moving tapes - bambino for example aren't nearly as reliable after moving a tape, and waddler tapes definitely have the advantage there. The tapes are also wider, and I've never seen a tape fail on a waddler for any reason.

But that comes at a price, the entire "tape panel" area on a waddler is a bit rough. Space tape panels are harder, waddler are rougher. Decide what you do and do not like there.

Waddlers size a little smaller, and are closer to my ideal size than space. It's not a big difference, but that, combined with slightly more flexible and stretchy shell, the waddlers seem to fit a little more comfortably for me.

Wadders are a little more discrete when dry. Also because of their looser fit you will probably need to adjust the tapes to prevent sag and slip after it gets very wet. Space can usually stay up without an adjustment for longer.

They seem to have a similar capacity overall, but space wick better and feel slightly wetter, waddlers don't wick as well, swell more, and feel a little dryer.

In the end, for me anyway, for several reasons the space work better for overnight and waddlers work better for daytime. I find the space are a bit too thick for me to wear comfortably under pants, and the waddlers are rougher on the wrists and slightly more prone to leaking overnight.

A few bucks more a bag doesn't seem like too big of a price difference to me though. They're both good diapers. So I'd say get what works better for you.

bambinod said:
There's quite a few differences between the waddlers and the space so its hard to just say one is better than the other. You'll have to compare their features and decide which is the better value for what you want I guess.

Waddlers are thinner and stiffer when dry. Although they fit "a little boxy" at first, they seem to quickly adjust their shape and are very comfortable. The ability to move the tapes many times isn't that big of a deal, it's not like you need to move them every 10 minutes. If I'm wearing for a long time I will need to make one or two adjustments before it's time to change. The adhesives on the space don't seem to have a problem with a few moves. So I don't consider the "refastenability" to be that big of a deal with the waddlers. at least when compared to space. Some other diapers aren't as good with moving tapes - bambino for example aren't nearly as reliable after moving a tape, and waddler tapes definitely have the advantage there. The tapes are also wider, and I've never seen a tape fail on a waddler for any reason.

But that comes at a price, the entire "tape panel" area on a waddler is a bit rough. Space tape panels are harder, waddler are rougher. Decide what you do and do not like there.

Waddlers size a little smaller, and are closer to my ideal size than space. It's not a big difference, but that, combined with slightly more flexible and stretchy shell, the waddlers seem to fit a little more comfortably for me.

Wadders are a little more discrete when dry. Also because of their looser fit you will probably need to adjust the tapes to prevent sag and slip after it gets very wet. Space can usually stay up without an adjustment for longer.

They seem to have a similar capacity overall, but space wick better and feel slightly wetter, waddlers don't wick as well, swell more, and feel a little dryer.

In the end, for me anyway, for several reasons the space work better for overnight and waddlers work better for daytime. I find the space are a bit too thick for me to wear comfortably under pants, and the waddlers are rougher on the wrists and slightly more prone to leaking overnight.

A few bucks more a bag doesn't seem like too big of a price difference to me though. They're both good diapers. So I'd say get what works better for you.

Very thorough info! Thanks a lot! Too bad the Waddlers are currently out of stock. They do have Overnights, so I'll try them later.

The New tykeables are EXCELLENT imo the tabs work VERY well and last,,, They can be re positioned easily... want to try their other lines especially the Kadets... Better than anything ABU produce imo at present

darkjo said:
I'm curious about its "Active Little Grips" tapes that are infinitely refastenable and arguably superior compared to regular tapes, and they seem to have excellent capacity and cute prints, too. However they are quite expensive, costs £17.95 for a pack of 10, compared to ABU Space, which costs £15.49 (also pack of 10).

If you've tried it, what do you think? Thanks for the advice.

They are ok for about 4 hours (6 at best). Though this is because of their poor fit with those "no lower tapes", which least to premature leaks. And when they do leak, it's always catastrophic. Given how long they last, you can find much cheaper diapers.

Slomo said:
They are ok for about 4 hours (6 at best). Though this is because of their poor fit with those "no lower tapes", which least to premature leaks. And when they do leak, it's always catastrophic. Given how long they last, you can find much cheaper diapers.

I'm talking about the Overnights, they have 4 tapes like a regular diaper. I've never tried diapers with only two tapes, though. Sorry if my initial post wasn't clear, I was sleepy :p

darkjo said:
I'm talking about the Overnights, they have 4 tapes like a regular diaper. I've never tried diapers with only two tapes, though. Sorry if my initial post wasn't clear, I was sleepy :p

So was I. Take another look at them. Their "lower" tapes are positioned almost exactly at the middle. There are top tapes, and middle tapes, but no lower tapes. Two tapes per side, but still no lower tapes. This means it's impossible to get a snug fit around the legs unless you wear one size to small (which in itself brings up a slew of other problems).

Slomo said:
So was I. Take another look at them. Their "lower" tapes are positioned almost exactly at the middle. There are top tapes, and middle tapes, but no lower tapes. Two tapes per side, but still no lower tapes. This means it's impossible to get a snug fit around the legs unless you wear one size to small (which in itself brings up a slew of other problems).

I'd disagree with that. I've seen a few diapers that have their lower tapes positioned closer to the bottom of the wing, and they've never fit me as well. The original crinklz were that way. Confidry 247 have that problem somewhat, there's a pretty wide separation between their tapes, but it's not all the way down.

The thing is, you need the lower tape to basically pull in the slack and keep the leg gather elastic and leak guards behind them tight. To do that you have to pull out and up, so the bottom tapes can't be too low. It will give you a nice wide coverage in the back, well below your butt cheeks, but seems to cause leaks in the front for me. And it feels really awkward too, but that might just be because it's a fit I'm not used to?

Overnights do exactly as described... excellent fit and no leeks... Just like anything else in life some people like one thing others like something else... IMO Overnights are the best nappy i have tried with little paws a close second... for me the new tapes work well and as I've struggled with the tapes on other nappies especially ABU this is a huge plus... with regards lasting only 4 hours... Just changed out of my latest nappy which was well used for over 12 hours... put it on at 7 pm sat and off at 8.30 am sun...

Best thing to do is try a couple and see what you think... we are all going to have different views and experiences...

bambinod said:
I'd disagree with that. I've seen a few diapers that have their lower tapes positioned closer to the bottom of the wing, and they've never fit me as well. The original crinklz were that way. Confidry 247 have that problem somewhat, there's a pretty wide separation between their tapes, but it's not all the way down.

The thing is, you need the lower tape to basically pull in the slack and keep the leg gather elastic and leak guards behind them tight. To do that you have to pull out and up, so the bottom tapes can't be too low. It will give you a nice wide coverage in the back, well below your butt cheeks, but seems to cause leaks in the front for me. And it feels really awkward too, but that might just be because it's a fit I'm not used to?

Same here. Though it mostly depends on your body shape and waist/hip size. The fit is different for each person.

bambinod said:

You're right about that last part, and that's just an inherent flaw in those diapers. It's not you. Without the tapes low enough, they will leave slack at the top front area of your legs. This is a prime spot for leaks too, which is why those tape need to be low enough to actually work.

Most everyone that doesn't get this problem is actually wearing one size too small. This smaller "fit" makes it tigher around the legs, which is what's preventing theirs from leaking (though, as always, doing this introduces a whole bunch of other problems).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back