First vacation with Incontinence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebabyboy12

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
My wife and I have planned our first family vacation after being diagnosed witb urine retention and oab. I’m in diapers 24/7 and our kids don’t know. Any tips on how to deal with this while vacationing?

Where are you going? For a cruise or country where good diapers are not readily available (like the US), you will need to either bring enough with you, or have them shipped ahead.

If driving, just bring them with you. If flying you can check a bag of diapers for free. If you don't want to lug them around though, you can always order enough online and shipped to your hotel. (though the hotel may charge you for it). If by boat, definitely breing enough with you.

And by enough, I mean 20% more than what you normall use every day. Vacations usually mean lots of walking around, which means you will be drinking more water. Vacations also usually mean more alcohol too. So you will go through more diapers than you're used to.

Slomo said:
Where are you going? For a cruise or country where good diapers are not readily available (like the US), you will need to either bring enough with you, or have them shipped ahead.

If driving, just bring them with you. If flying you can check a bag of diapers for free. If you don't want to lug them around though, you can always order enough online and shipped to your hotel. (though the hotel may charge you for it). If by boat, definitely breing enough with you.

And by enough, I mean 20% more than what you normall use every day. Vacations usually mean lots of walking around, which means you will be drinking more water. Vacations also usually mean more alcohol too. So you will go through more diapers than you're used to.

Slomo- we are driving to New York City. We are going For four days. I typically go through 3-4 diapers per day. So I should plan for 4-5? Yes we will be driving so I can take them with us. Suggestions for finding places to change? Cleanliness is pretty important to me. Any other suggestions? Do people notice when Carrying a diaper bag, do people ask what’s in it?

I actually don't travel much due to my diaper wearing full time, but basically you have to have a suitcase of diapers if it's a week's trip and you use five per day. I recently have worn ID slip maxi and they are great and trim. Don't wear a messy diaper through the line at airport.

Ehorton said:
Slomo- we are driving to New York City. We are going For four days. I typically go through 3-4 diapers per day. So I should plan for 4-5? Yes we will be driving so I can take them with us. Suggestions for finding places to change? Cleanliness is pretty important to me. Any other suggestions? Do people notice when Carrying a diaper bag, do people ask what’s in it?

I've been to NY, diapered of course. It's so crammed and crowded there, with a very distinct smell that is only/very NY. Worse than Toyko I must say. But ah, they do have the sights. First, you WILL be charged a ton for parking (This is in addition to your hotel), as well as food, and well everything else. (whatever cost you normally expect, double it in NY). Good news is their subway system is decent so you won't need to drive anywhere. Consider getting their 7-day pass for those 4 days, you will use it.

Yes you absolutely should plan on extra changes. Make sure to bring a backpack or carry a non-descriptive bag for a couple of spare changes (and a bottle of water). Nobody will bat an eye at your bag unless you make it stand out, everyone seems to have one there so even that will take a lot. Most tourist spots will ask to do a quick search of your bag. I never once had a problem when they came across my diapers though- and they were never taken out of my bag either.

As for where to change. There are the typical restroom facilities in most everywhere you're going to go, including the subway. Most all are for paying customers though, so plan accordingly. Unfortunately it's NY, so the only place you will find that's clean is going to be your hotel room. I hope you're good at changing while standing (but avoid the subway facilities if possible)

As for other suggestions, do a search on "top tourist attractions in new york". There is LOTS to see there that will keep you very busy the entire time you're there.

I travelled to the states last year for three weeks and was in nappies the whole time with no problems. It was my first trip to the U.S. since becoming incontinent.

Since your driving take 3 extra diapers per day as a just incase, when we went to disney I went theough more diapers then I had thought so I was glad we drove and I had taken a full case with us. 3 extra per day is a good idea, get some large ziplock bags and put one diaper in each bag as it will keep them clean and protect them while in your back pack if you go through security and they are great for disposing of the disper as well.

A day pack or messenger bag make great diaper bags. The diapers in gallon zip lock bags is a great idea and keep at least a half a pack of wipes with you all the time. They also help to clean a toilet seat if you need it. Most toilet stalls have a hook on the back of the door to hang a bag from. But just in case stop at Target or Walmart and pickup an over the door robe hook to carry with you just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also remember that travel stress will make you urinate much more often than you normally would. Especially when I travel by plane, my need to urinate increases 10 fold.

SirCrinklesAlot said:
Also remember that travel stress will make you urinate much more often than you normally would. Especially when I travel by plane, my need to urinate increases 10 fold.

Too true. I was glad I took plenty of slips and pads in my carry on.

For those of use who have bowel accidents and clean up in a bathroom by oneself - make sure you use paper towels to remove most of the mess. Put them in the used diaper - don't flush them. Using wet wipes even large ones would take forever to clean my up. Obviously bring gloves both for bms and also to apply barrier cream before applying the diaper so your hands won't interfere with tapes and/or outer cover. And bring black plastic bags so people can't see what's inside.

ST50 said:
Too true. I was glad I took plenty of slips and pads in my carry on.

SirCrinklesAlot said:

I didn’t realize that I could increase based off stress. I was really hoping I would use fewer diapers on vacation but from what everyone says I’ll go through more.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the responses. I was planning on using fewer diapers but from what you’ve all said it sounds like I need to bring quite a few extra.

Have a plan for disposal of used diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back