Bambino Classico, Bianco, and Teddy Advanced Diaper Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Bambino Diapers, at a little over 10 years old, is the oldest surviving manufacturer of ABDL diapers, and the Bambino Classico was its first product launched in 2007. A side business of the manufacturer of the Secure X-Plus medical diaper, the original Classico was known to be the same diaper but with the Classico ABDL-specific print on the landing zone. Over the next few years, they released the Bianco, an all-white version, and the Teddy, a version with a Teddy bear motif on the panel, as alternative prints of the same underlying diaper.

Over the years, these diapers have been noticed to have changed several times in materials used and possibly manufacturing lines. The most recent change was believed to be around the time that Magnifico was released in fall 2016; while this is the point in time that the ABDL community noticed changes, I can only verify that there were noticeable differences between diapers I purchased for reviews from 2014 and updated reviews in 2016. Today in early 2018, I have not noticed any changes from the version I reviewed in 2016.

I am reviewing the medium size Bambino Classico, Bianco, and Teddy as shipped in January 2018. The medium size is listed as fitting waists of 32"-40", the large size is listed as fitting 38"-50", and the extra-large size is listed as fitting 47"-57".

This is a review that has been updated and upgraded to our advanced diaper review format, as this diaper does not seem to have changed from our prior review in December 2016. This means that this review contains a mix of older work that we believe is still accurate alongside our additional testing data from a mixed selection of the three diapers from new January 2018 packs.

Appearance, Size, and Features

Bambino products are sold in white semi-translucent packaging with a label on the side. The prints are visible through the white plastic packaging. The simple, single color labels on the sides of the package are different, across these three diapers with the Classico package having a mostly white label, the Bianco having a mostly solid blue label, and the Teddy package having an image of a bear from the print on it.

293-22-ClassicoPacksFront.JPG

293-23-ClassicoPacksSide.JPG

The Bambino Classico has a printed front landing zone with a baby block pattern that repeatedly spells the word "BABY", and is otherwise solid white. The pattern is made of 4 pastel colors. I've found that depending on the version over the years, the flatness or brightness of the colors used in Bambino prints has varied quite a bit; in this version, the color is very bright.

The Classico print could be said to be called "pseudo-babyish" and given the Classico's role for years as the default ABDL print, this has inspired discussions over the years. It's never been typical of actual baby diaper prints to be focused around spelling the word "baby" in the print, which is inherently redundant, and the era of white plastic backed diapers with a repeated motif on the tape panel mostly involved, at least in the US, prints of branded or generic anthropromophic characters. Hence it's a print with themes adults recognize as babyish but which are not actually realistic baby prints.

Much more authentic is the Bambino Teddy print, which has a repeated motif of a baby bear sleeping or playing in several positions. This print is very typical of late-80s to mid-90s baby diapers.

The Bambino Bianco is an all-white version of this diaper. At the time of the Bianco's release, it was actually somewhat novel to release an all-white "premium" capacity adult diaper, as nearly all premium medical diapers include some form of print with at least the manufacturer's branding and frequently some form of wetness indicator.

278-1-FrontFolded.JPG

278-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Classico

278-14-PrintComparison.jpg

Bambino Teddy, Classico, and Bianco Prints

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 9.4 cm (3.7 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 3.1 cm (1.2 in).

278-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

I stacked 3 diapers each of the Bambino Magnifico, Bellissimo, and Classico next to each other to visualize relative thickness amongst the three products. The Magnifico is notably thicker than the Bellissimo and Classico. The Bellissimo and Classico appear roughly the same in thickness to the naked eye.

Notably, however, the Bellissimo is very obviously heavier when held, with a mass that's roughly 40 g (~25%) greater than that of Classico, Bianco, and Teddy.

278-13-SizeCompare.JPG

Thickness Comparison Between Bambino Magnifico, Bellissimo, and Classico

The Bambino Classico, Bianco, and Teddy use the conventional double tape design seen on most adult diapers. The tapes have a blue tip without adhesive to pull on. Bambino advertises their tapes as being refastenable; in the past, I haven't had good luck getting them to refasten, though they do seem to stick sufficiently well but with perhaps some risk of sliding over hours. Earlier versions of these products have not always had very reliable tapes, but the version that has existed for the past couple of years generates far fewer issues. The tapes measure 4.0 cm (1.5 in).

278-4-tapes.JPG

The Tapes

The inside of the diapers are all white, and the padding is arranged in an hourglass shape that is wider in the back than the front. The padding is soft, somewhat fluffy and not particularly dense. The diapers have standing leak guards and an elastic waistband in the front and back.

The plastic backing seems thick and rigid. It feels very smooth with an oily-like texture.

278-5-outside.JPG

278-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 74.7 cm (29.4 in) in length, 64.8 cm (25.5 in) in width at the wings, 32.5 cm (12.8 in) in width at the center, and 22.5 cm (8.9 in) in width between the leak guards.

278-7-length.JPG

278-8-widthwing.JPG

278-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I performed two tests.

First, I weighed a diaper and put it on. I then repeatedly dosed water into the front of it in 100 mL increments using a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser, followed by sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, then checking for leaks. When a leak occurred, I weighed the diaper again, and recorded the change in weight.

Over 3 replicates of this H2O capacity test using a mix of the three different prints, the diapers averaged 1769 mL with a standard deviation of 226 mL.

During one trial of this test, I recorded qualitative information about the diaper as I added water to it. After 400 mL of water, the front of the diaper felt constantly wet. At 700 mL, I felt wet at the upper part of my legs and the front of the diaper was starting to become quite bulky. At 1200 mL, I felt like I was sitting at the edge of a puddle. At 1300 mL, I felt like I was sitting in a puddle. At 1500 mL, I felt like I was sitting in a pond and the diaper leaked.

I folded a diaper back up to compare its thickness to a dry diaper. It had expanded to roughly 7.4 cm (2.9 in), about 2.4x its original size. The tapes held throughout this test.

278-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I then performed a second test in which I made normal saline (0.9% NaCl in H2O), weighed a diaper and put it on, then used a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser to dose 160 mL saline every 5 minutes until it leaked, sitting down between increments. I weighed the diaper afterwards and divided the resulting change in grams by 1.0046 to account for the density of saline to determine the change in milliliters. 160 mL is approximately equivalent to half of an average adult urine void, and this increment is loosely representative of a "half-flood".

Over 3 replicates of this saline capacity test using a mix of the three prints, the diapers averaged 758 mL with a standard deviation of 94 mL. Rounded to numbers of integer "half-flood" doses, the diaper averaged 4.7 "half-floods" with a standard deviation of 0.6 "half-floods".

The average dry mass of this diaper, based on 6 replicates across both tests, was 163.7 g with a standard deviation of 1.0 g.

I weighed a diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted a total of 4 hours, during which time I had about 5 moderate wettings but did not flood it, and ended when I started to notice wetness at a leg. I recorded a change in mass of 722 g, or approximately 4.5 “half-floods”, in line with my test results.

With a 36" waist, I am in the middle of the listed size range for the medium Bambino Classico, Bianco, and Teddy. I normally wear size medium in other diaper brands and these diapers fit well.

Price and Final Thoughts

I received/bought a pack of these diapers for the purposes of a review from https://bambinodiapers.com/. They are available in 2-diaper sample packs for $8.40, 16-diaper two-packs for $37.05, and 48-diaper cases for $76.01, including shipping. Mixed cases with 2 bags of each of the 3 prints are available at a slightly higher price.

At the case size, this works out to $1.58/diaper and based on my test results this diaper holds 2.9 "half-floods" per dollar. This makes these among the cheapest ABDL diapers on the market, with lower-tier but still "premium" capacity, leading to an overall efficiency of capacity for price that is slightly above average. Though they have long since stopped being a gold standard amongst ABDL diapers, the lower-end Bambino diapers, for all of their age and decade-long run on the market, still manage to hold their own against the competition.

This makes the Bambino Classico, Bianco, and Teddy particularly good options for ABDLs who prefer to just wear babyish diapers without using them, or wear and use them in such a way that needing more frequent changes is intended. Higher-capacity products are better bargains if the intent is to wear and use them normally as diapers. Though the prints are simplistic, the Bianco and Teddy remain accurate approximations for 80s-90s plastic-backed diapers, and it's somewhat surprising just how many ABDL diapers have failed to be authentic by trying to add complicated prints in inauthentic ways.

There's always been something very elegant about Bambino's approach to making the Classico – they were able to make the first successful ABDL diaper not by reinventing the wheel, but by simply being the first company willing to put an alternative print on their medical diaper. Bambino has rarely been particularly innovative, and at times, they've been downright tone deaf with respect to the making things that the ABDL community actually wants, but they were also first to succeed at making a viable ABDL-printed diaper. By being the company willing to take that step when it counted most, they changed the ABDL community for the better. I'm happy to report that their original products are still decent purchases, even if they've become a bit unexciting compared to what’s come after and are slowly becoming more niche over time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NappyLoverUK, WABX and Ranma
Love the designs but for me the medium is a bit too small and the large is way to big for some reason.

I actually have a pre-2016 Teddy on right now. They had such a good product, it’s a shame they decided to start cutting corners. Good thing a still have three bags left.

Does it FEEL thick like a baby diaper??

teddybearbaby said:
Does it FEEL thick like a baby diaper??
It's really tough to compare due to different body shapes, but it probably isn't since it's only 1.2" thick, very few ABDL diapers would feel exactly like it, but you could double diaper, etc.

How crinkly are bambinos?

JacobKojitsu said:
How crinkly are bambinos?

Depends on the version I find teddy Crinkly, buy a sample pack and try them out I love their products

I really appreciate Fruitkitty's informative and objective reviews. I would love to see a real-world review with a dry diaper under clothes followed by a wet diaper, and finally a soaked diaper under clothing and ending without clothing. This would help us know how discreet a wet diaper is for those of us who like to wear and wet while engaged in daily activities, as well as for those who are incontinent.

Back