ABUniverse PreSchool Advanced Diaper Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Adult Baby Universe (ABU) released the PreSchool diaper, a "medium-capacity" or "daytime" ABDL diaper in September 2016 as a cloth-backed offering with a much lower price than their other products and a low price point among ABDL diapers broadly. Near the end of 2016, ABU released a second, plastic-backed version as the PreSchool Plastic.

These diapers had an additional innovation not previously seen among ABDL diapers in that multiple prints were mixed in the same pack, a standard aspect of nearly all name-brand baby diapers for roughly the past 20 years. As of this writing, it is still the only ABDL diaper to do this, though this is soon to change as ABU's announced next product, PeekABU, will also have rotating prints.

This is a review that has been updated and upgraded to our advanced diaper review format, as this diaper is not known to have changed since our original review in September 2016. This means that this review contains a mix of older work that we believe is still accurate alongside our additional testing, which was gathered using the remainder of a pack of medium PreSchool Plastic originally purchased in April 2017, as size medium PreSchool was not in stock in either the cloth or plastic versions at the time I gathered additional data in January 2018.

The small size is listed as fitting waists of 21"-29", medium size is listed as fitting waists of 30"-36", the large is listed as fitting waists of 37"-42", and the extra-large is listed as fitting waists of 43"-49".

Appearance, Size, and Features

The ABU PreSchool comes in transparent 10-packs with a product panel on one side of the bag. The PreSchool's panel displays art elements used across its prints, with what appears to be Seattle's skyline. The PreSchool Plastic has an alternative panel depicting a classroom blackboard with "PreSchool Plastic Edition" and the size written on the chalkboard.

[
277-11-packfront.JPG

277-12-packside.JPG

Front and Side of PreSchool Packaging

The PreSchool prints consist of 4 different landing zone designs each on an all-white backdrop. One is sky-themed, one is night-themed, one is car-themed, and the last has numbers, letters, and shapes. All of the designs are generic, realistic babyish prints. The night-themed print stands out as being a noticeably bolder color scheme than the other prints. The prints are arranged in cycle in the bag.

The combination of believable designs with multiple designs per pack makes for a clearly more authentic product. The earliest ABDL diapers only had prints as repeated motifs on the landing zone, which is a realistic approximation of baby diaper prints up until the late 1990s. Rotating, full landing zone prints on an all-white plastic diaper more closely approximates baby diapers in the late 90s to early 00s.

277-1-FrontFolded.JPG

277-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Diaper, Respectively

277-13-PrintComparison.JPG

All Four Different PreSchool Prints

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 9.3 cm (3.7 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 3.1 cm (1.2 in).

277-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

The ABU PreSchool uses a double-tape design with tapes that measure 4.0 cm (1.6 in) wide each. On both the PreSchool and PreSchool Plastic, the landing zone is a plastic such that the same tapes from ABU's plastic-backed products are still used on their cloth-backed product.

277-4-tapes.JPG

The Tapes

The inside of the diaper is all white, and the padding is arranged in an hourglass shape. The padding feels packed with a dry, cottony texture, slightly softer than the outer cover. The diaper has standing leak guards. It has an elastic waistband in the back only.

The regular PreSchool is the only cloth-backed ABDL diaper currently available at the time of this writing. The backing feels very similar to the touch to the cover on a modern baby diaper – a soft oily paper texture, very different than plastic and much closer to cloth, but still clearly different than actual cloth. The wings are made of only the cloth-like layer and feel less substantial than typical plastic wings including those of the PreSchool plastic; this makes the sides "breathable", and indeed, you can partially see through the wings.
277-5-outside.JPG

277-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 73.3 cm (28.9 in) in length, 67.0 cm (26.4 in) in width at the wings, 27.9 cm (11.0 in) in width at the center, and 20.6 cm (8.1 in) in width between the leak guards.

277-7-length.JPG

277-8-widthwing.JPG

277-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I performed two tests.

First, I weighed a diaper and put it on. I then repeatedly dosed water into the front of it in 100 mL increments using a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser, followed by sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, then checking for leaks. When a leak occurred, I weighed the diaper again, and recorded the change in weight.

Over 3 replicates of this H2O capacity test, the ABU PreSchool averaged 1230 mL with a standard deviation of 253 mL.

When I previously tested the PreSchool, I also recorded qualitative information during a trial of this test. After 500 mL of water, I began to notice pooling at my legs after pouring increments. At 700 mL, the front was starting to spread my legs. At 800 mL, I started feeling a "sploosh" when I sat down. At 900 mL, it felt damp while sitting. At 1000 mL, it felt like sitting in a pond. At 1100 mL, water felt like it was at my legs during the entire increment. At 1200 mL, the diaper leaked.

I folded the diaper back up to compare its thickness to a dry diaper. It had expanded to roughly 8.9 cm (3.5 in), about 2.9x its original size. The tapes held steady during my testing.

277-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I then performed a second test in which I made normal saline (0.9% NaCl in H2O), weighed a diaper and put it on, then used a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser to dose 160 mL saline every 5 minutes until it leaked, sitting down between increments. I weighed the diaper afterwards and divided the resulting change in grams by 1.0046 to account for the density of saline to determine the change in milliliters. 160 mL is approximately equivalent to half of an average adult urine void, and this increment is loosely representative of a "half-flood".

Over 3 replicates of this saline capacity test, the ABU PreSchool averaged 641 mL with a standard deviation of 159 mL. Rounded to numbers of integer "half-flood" doses, the diaper averaged 4.0 "half-floods" with a standard deviation of 1.0 "half-floods".

The average dry mass of this diaper, based on 6 replicates across both tests, was 161.5 g with a standard deviation of 1.8 g.

I put on a fresh diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted a total of 4 hours before beginning to leak at the leg. During my test, I had 3 or so moderate wettings, but did not flood it; it did clearly hold less than typical high-capacity ABDL diapers.

With a 36" waist, I am towards the top of the listed size range for the medium PreSchool. I normally wear size medium in other diaper brands. This diaper seemed to fit my size and frame well, with the thinner profile lending itself to a more snug fit. I also feel like this diaper iss less liable to dig into my legs when tight.

The cloth PreSchool is comfortable and unobtrusive to wear, especially on the breathable sides. It would be far more pleasant to do active and sweaty work in this diaper than a plastic-backed or thicker diaper, though changing more often would also be required. It's not obvious that there's any particular advantage to the plastic-backed version other than pure preference for the look and feel of plastic.

The tapes hold great on this diaper, which is to be expected since they are the same tapes as used on ABU's other products with more than twice the capacity.

Price and Final Thoughts

I received a pack of the PreSchool for the purposes of a review and purchased a pack of PreSchool Plastic which was used in later additional testing from https://www.abuniverse.com/. Without shipping, both PreSchool and PreSchool Plastic are available in single diaper samples for $6.00 (with a $5 discount for a future order for every two sample diapers ordered across brands), 10-diaper packs for $26.99, 40-diaper half-cases for $69.99, and 80-diaper cases at $109.99. ABU no longer includes shipping in its prices, and now adds $1 for samples, $5 for single packs, $8 for half-cases, and $12 for cases, bringing the final case price to $121.99.

At the case size, this works out to $1.52/diaper and based on my test results this diaper holds 2.6 "half-floods" per dollar. This price makes PreSchool the cheapest ABDL diaper currently available on the US market; however, it also has a low capacity and is only middling in efficiency of price for capacity. This puts PreSchool in an interesting spot, where it's potentially the one of the very best deals on the market if your interest in ABDL play involves either just wearing babyish diapers without using them, or wearing and using them in such a way that needing more frequent changes is intended. If you do however plan on using the diaper normally as a diaper, you're better off buying higher-capacity products.

There are other unique selling points to PreSchool beyond just price and efficiency. PreSchool remains the only cloth-backed ABDL product on the US market. PreSchool remains, if not for much longer, the only ABDL diaper with rotating prints, and remains one of the more authentically babyish ABDL diapers you can buy.

There's a lot to like about PreSchool even though it won't meet the needs of ABDLs who are strongly focused on high capacity. Lower-capacity diapers are inherently niche products within the ABDL community, but where PreSchool really shines is in the meeting the needs of many different niches at the same time.

Last edited:
Back