Bambino Magnifico Advanced Diaper Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
The Bambino Magnifico is Bambino's flagship product, released in November 2016: a thick, high-capacity "hybrid diaper" that utilizes a stretch waist system with hook-and-loop refastenable tapes on an otherwise all plastic-backed diaper. Bambino has sent out samples of test versions of this diaper as early as a year prior, held a contest to choose the name, and held a separate contest wherein artists could submit a proposed print and the final design was chosen by a community vote. Bambino also sells an all-white version of this product as the "Bianco UltraStretch" at the same price point.

I am reviewing the S/M size Bambino Magnifico as shipped in January 2018. The S/M size is listed as fitting waists of 26"-46" and the L/XL size is listed as fitting 36"-56".

This is a review that has been updated and upgraded to our advanced diaper review format, as this diaper does not seem to have changed since our original review in December 2016. This means that this review contains a mix of older work that we believe is still accurate alongside our additional testing data from a new January 2018 pack.

Appearance, Size, and Features

Bambino products are sold in white semi-translucent packaging with a label on the side. The prints are visible through the white plastic packaging. The Magnifico packaging is longer than for Bambino's other products, and contains 10 diapers per bag.

280-11-packfront.JPG

280-12-packside.JPG

The Bambino Magnifico has an all-over dinosaur themed print by the babyfur artist Wen. Three different color dinosaurs holding the numbers 1, 2, and 3 are arranged in a pattern with dinosaur prints, eggs, and trees. The landing zone is transparent and textured to grip the tabs.

The plastic backing is the same as on other Bambino products. The plastic backing seems thick and rigid, and feels very smooth with an oily texture.

280-1-FrontFolded.JPG

280-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Diaper, Respectively

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 10.9 cm (4.3 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 3.6 cm (1.4 in).

280-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

I stacked 3 diapers each of the Bambino Magnifico, Bellissimo, and Classico next to each other to visualize relative thickness amongst the three products. The Magnifico is notably thicker than the Bellissimo and Classico. The Bellissimo and Classico appear roughly the same in thickness to the naked eye.

280-13-SizeCompare.JPG

Thickness Comparison Between Bambino Magnifico, Bellissimo, and Classico

The Bambino Magnifico was the first among ABDL diapers to feature hook-and-loop tapes and remain the only to use them attached to a stretch waist. Instead of having two tapes directly attached to the back of the diaper, the tabs are part of a wider elastic panel, which itself stretches. The hook-and-loop tabs can be refastened and unlimited number of times without losing their effectiveness.

This is similar to the system that has become standard on modern baby diapers – stretchy tabs that adhere via hook-and-loop. I do find it to offer several real advantages in that they hold extremely well compared to ordinary tapes and they are infinitely refastenable, but this particular implementation of the stretch sides is flawed. I've found the fit much more comfortable: a relaxed fit without the constant tightness around the hips of stretched plastic, but the seal around the legs isn't great. The tapes stretch much farther over the center than what is typical in order to get a snug fit. Sizing on this diaper is very odd and runs very large. I've been told anecdotally by female ABDLs they've had more success with the Magnifico because it fits the body shape of wider hips better, but I don't have a good way to verify this myself.

The whole panel pulls out from a more compressed footprint in the package. The tapes themselves are tapered and measure 6.5 cm (2.5 in) at the wide end and 3.5 cm (1.4 in) at the narrow end.

280-4-tapes.JPG

280-14-TapesExtended.JPG

The Tapes, Before and After Extending the Stretch Waist Panel

The inside of the diaper is all white, and the padding is arranged in an hourglass shape that is wider in the back than the front. The padding is soft and fluffy rather than feeling overly dense. The diaper has standing leak guards and an elastic waistband in the front and back.

280-5-outside.JPG

280-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 76.0 cm (29.9 in) in length, 49.9 cm (19.6 in) in width at the wings, 31.0 cm (12.2 in) in width at the center, and 22.0 cm (8.7 in) in width between the leak guards. It immediately stands out that the front wing is much narrower than other diapers. The stretch waist feature replaces this width when the diaper is worn.

280-7-length.JPG

280-8-widthwing.JPG

280-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I performed two tests.

First, I weighed a diaper and put it on. I then repeatedly dosed water into the front of it in 100 mL increments using a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser, followed by sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, then checking for leaks. When a leak occurred, I weighed the diaper again, and recorded the change in weight.

Over 3 replicates of this H2O capacity test, the Bambino Magnifico averaged 2072 mL with a standard deviation of 221 mL.

During one trial of this test, I recorded qualitative information about the diaper as I added water to it. By 800 mL of water, the diaper had swelled enough that it took effort to close my legs. At 900 mL, the front felt constantly wet. At 1100 mL, I started to feel wetness at the leg cuffs. At 1600 mL, my legs felt forcibly spread. At 1700 mL, started to feel like I was sitting in a puddle. At 1900 mL, the diaper was sagging quite a bit while standing and it felt like I was sitting on a thick towel. At 2000 mL, the diaper began to leak on my chair, and I ended the test.

I folded the diaper back up to compare its thickness to a dry diaper. It had expanded to roughly 10.6 cm (4.2 in), about 2.9x its original size.

280-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I then performed a second test in which I made normal saline (0.9% NaCl in H2O), weighed a diaper and put it on, then used a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser to dose 160 mL saline every 5 minutes until it leaked, sitting down between increments. I weighed the diaper afterwards and divided the resulting change in grams by 1.0046 to account for the density of saline to determine the change in milliliters. 160 mL is approximately equivalent to half of an average adult urine void, and this increment is loosely representative of a "half-flood".

Over 3 replicates of this saline capacity test, the Bambino Magnifico averaged 918 mL with a standard deviation of 190 mL. Rounded to numbers of integer "half-flood" doses, the diaper averaged 5.7 "half-floods" with a standard deviation of 1.2 "half-floods".

The average dry mass of this diaper, based on 6 replicates across both tests, was 159.5 g with a standard deviation of 7.0 g.

The diaper lasted a total of 5.5 hours. I had several large wetting and some minor wettings, but did not flood the diaper.

I have a 36" waist which puts me in the middle of the very wide size range for S/M size. Again, I feel like the diaper is large relative to typical mediums, which I normally wear in other diaper brands including other Bambino products. The stretch waist fits differently than standard tapes, with the tapes stuck much further towards the center of the panel. While they list a waist range all the way down to 26", I have difficultly imagining how this diaper wouldn't be too large to tape correctly on someone who normally wears small sizes.

Price and Final Thoughts

I bought a pack of these diapers for the purposes of a review from https:// bambinodiapers.com/. They are available at $130.00 for a case of 40, $38.50 for a bag of 10, or $13.50 for a sample pack of 2, including shipping to the US.

At the case size, this works out to $3.25/diaper and based on my test results this diaper holds 1.7 "half-floods" per dollar. This price is very expensive relative to the competition and with middling capacity, this diaper is just not very cost-efficient. The difficult fit of the diaper definitely makes it difficult to get a good leg seal, and my impression is that this is the reason that this diaper tests at lower capacity than the Bambino Bellissimo.

For a time, Bambino had the only ABDL diaper with hook-and-loop tapes. I wrote the original review in 2016 that I didn't think it was worth paying an extra dollar per diaper for Bambino's suboptimal implementation of this feature, but that it was a promising proof-of-concept and worth at least trying. I definitely don't think it's worth paying an extra dollar per diaper for this feature in 2018 because the Tykables now offers its products with a far better implementation of it without the upcharge. I still think ABDLs ought to try a diaper with hook-and-loop tapes if they haven't yet, but now there's a much better and cheaper diaper for that from the competition.

I would very much like to see Bambino revisit the Magnifico to improve its implementation of the tapes and stretch sides. Until then, this diaper is resigned to being a niche product for those who happen to fit the unusually sizing very well or really like the print.

Reactions: RMS401
Back