Diaper Connoisseur Idyl 2017 Advanced Diaper Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
The DC Idyl 2017 is an updated version of Diaper Connoisseur's male-gendered ABDL diaper released in spring 2017. It has the immediately noticeably change of lightening the backsheet color from the dark shade of blue on the original to baby blue, and is further pitched as having improved capacity, colored leak guards, and a softer plastic backsheet.

I am reviewing the medium size as ordered from Diaper Connoisseur in January 2018. The medium is listed as fitting waists of 30"-40", and the large is listed as fitting waists of 38"-48".

Appearance, Size, and Features

The DC Idyl 2017 has all-over printed packaging with a baby blue theme. The solid pastel colors and lack of any ornate art or pictures is somewhat reminiscent of early 90s diaper packaging but with fonts and stripe patterning that doesn't quite fit the era. Still, the packaging fits in the broad theme of an homage to gendered baby diapers from the 80s-90s.

287-11-packfront.JPG

287-12-packside.JPG

287-12-packside2.JPG

The DC Idyl 2017 has a solid color baby blue backsheet with a landing zone print of a repeating motif of animals flying in the sky. It's a more detailed print than was typical of the era of gendered diapers, but as an homage rather than a replica, it works. To the sides of the landing zone are more modern printed features including a row of balloons and striped sides of the landing zone panel, which aid in positioning tapes, a cloud and plane pattern running along the sides of the diaper.

The outer plastic has a thick and really solid feel to it. It's noticeably more rigid than is typical for diaper backsheets, even despite being a softer plastic than the previous version of the Idyl.

287-1-FrontFolded.JPG

287-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Diaper, Respectively

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 9.0 cm (3.5 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 3.0 cm (1.2 in).

287-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

The DC Idyl 2017 uses a double-tape design with tapes that measure 3.9 cm (1.5 in) wide each.

287-4-tapes.JPG

The Tapes

The inside of the diaper is all white with blue standing leak guards. The padding is arranged in an hourglass shape and the back of the diaper is noticeably tall. The padding feels soft and cottony. It features elastic waistbands in both the front and back.

287-5-outside.JPG

287-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 74.9 cm (29.5 in) in length, 65.8 cm (25.9 in) in width at the wings, 33.1 cm (13.0 in) in width at the center, and 23.4 cm (9.2 in) in width between the leak guards.

287-7-length.JPG

287-8-widthwing.JPG

287-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I performed two tests.

First, I weighed a diaper and put it on. I then repeatedly dosed water into the front of it in 100 mL increments using a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser, followed by sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, then checking for leaks. When a leak occurred, I weighed the diaper again, and recorded the change in weight.

Over 3 replicates of this H2O capacity test, the DC Idyl 2017 averaged 1998 mL with a standard deviation of 173 mL.

During one trial of this test, I recorded qualitative information about the diaper as I added water to it. After 700 mL of water, the front of the diaper felt continuously wet. At 1200 mL, I could feel liquid running down my leg. At 1500 mL, I felt like I was sitting in a puddle. At 1800 mL, I felt like I was sitting in a pond. At 1900 mL, the diaper leaked.

I folded the diaper back up to compare its thickness to a dry diaper. It had expanded to roughly 8.7 cm (3.4 in), about 2.9x its original size. The tapes did not meaningfully move during this test.

287-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I then performed a second test in which I made normal saline (0.9% NaCl in H2O), weighed a diaper and put it on, then used a metered laboratory bottletop dispenser to dose 160 mL saline every 5 minutes until it leaked, sitting down between increments. I weighed the diaper afterwards and divided the resulting change in grams by 1.0046 to account for the density of saline to determine the change in milliliters. 160 mL is approximately equivalent to half of an average adult urine void, and this increment is loosely representative of a "half-flood".

Over 3 replicates of this saline capacity test, the DC Idyl 2017 averaged 890 mL with a standard deviation of 76 mL. Rounded to numbers of integer "half-flood" doses, the diaper averaged 5.7 "half-floods" with a standard deviation of 0.6 "half-floods".

The average dry mass of this diaper, based on 6 replicates across both tests, was The average dry mass of this diaper, based on 6 replicates across both tests, was 211.0 g with a standard deviation of 5.0 g

I put on a fresh diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted a total of 8 hours before beginning to leak, by which point a tape had popped. During my test, I had about 4 wettings.

With a 36" waist, I am in the middle of the listed size range for the medium DC Idyl 2017. I normally wear size medium in other diaper brands. Not only did I feel like this diaper fit me well, but I also felt as though the tall back made a noticeable difference leading to a more comfortable and encompassing fit in back.

Price and Final Thoughts

I bought packs of these diapers for the purposes of a review from https:// diaperconn.com/. They are available in 2-diaper samples for $11.49, 12-diaper packs for $45.99, 2 12-packs for $70.98, 48-diaper cases for $98.99, 96-diaper double-cases for $187.99, and 144-diaper quad-cases for $249.99. Prices include shipping. Diaper Connoisseur also typically offers the ability to buy mixed cases of the Idyl and their companion female-gendered diaper, the Amor, though at the time of this writing they have sold out most of their stock of the Amor ahead of plans to introduce a new version in the first half of 2018.

At the quad-case size, this works out to $1.74/diaper and based on my test results this diaper holds 3.3 "half-floods" per dollar. This price is very competitive relative to the competition and the diaper is among the more efficient available at this price. It absolutely gives this diaper an edge that it is purchasable as a greater discount in a large case quantity that is almost twice as large as other competitors, who don't typically sell in cases larger than 80, but even using the numbers for the 48-diaper and 96-case sizes, it still fares well at and $2.06/diaper and $1.96/diaper price points.

For that price, you get an absolutely solid diaper. This diaper is a only a middling performer on capacity but it is otherwise well-designed with features like front and back waistbands that similarly cheap ABDL diapers often jettison as well as a unique and fleshed out male-gendered design. At its price point, it is one of the better value buys currently on the market.

If you have any interest in gendered baby printed diapers, Diaper Connoisseur has continued to make steady improvements to its line-up each year. The Idyl 2017 is a solid diaper at a very attractive price and weighs in as a great value pick.

Last edited:
Back