is powder/cream really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexia

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
i never used any of those things and never had any issues with sleeping all night in a soaked diaper, which makes me wonder what's the point of using that stuff

I think a lot of it depends on your skin. Mine's got issues... I seem to have a strong yeast biome on mine that I can't get rid of, so I need to keep on top of that downstairs. And I get pimples really easy if my skin can't breathe, especially on my hips. And then there's places where my skin rubs and gets irritated..... the list goes on.

So for me, lotions and powders are a necessity.

OTOH if you have tough skin, none of that may be necessary. So it's different for everyone.

When you start to experience rashes then yeah, you will see the necessity.

I'm all for the penny in the light socket approach to learning, but take our advice on this one. Use powder and cream and your skin will thank you.

Fingers crossed Alexia that you never get a rash but if you do you might find one or more powder or cream or lavender oil will help.

I do find cornstarch powder to be a lovely addition, fresh dry feeling and I love the baby powder scent... Just don’t use too much or you will have concrete and a worse performing diapee.

As many have said, it really does depend on how sensitive or fair your skin is. Also, it depends on what your diaper usage is like, do you simply wear, wear and wet or wear, wet and mess? I personally don't think that it is always necessary to powder and cream up, but as an AB, I find that powdering up and putting on some diaper cream beforehand really contributes to that full-fledged baby experience.

My skin tends to be pretty resilient, I usually only get blemishes on my behind if I mess and even then that's rare. I can sit in a wet diaper for literal hours and not get any form of irritation and that is with or without baby powder. Baby powder, however, goes a long way in keeping things fresh down there it also makes you smell like you just got of the nursery :eek:

Diaper Cream has been becoming a must for me, if I coat my bottom in some diaper cream or zinc cream before taping up I find the amount of irritation I get, if any, as previously stated it's rare that I get irritated during my diaper-time, is nominal. Diaper Cream also keeps messes from sticking to your bottom and can make clean up a fair bit easier. I would say that a conservative slathering of diaper cream beforehand minimizes the risk of blemishes and irritations, so it can be a good preventative measure for anyone who has had those problems in the past.

Of course, if you haven't used any of these things and you haven't had any problems, then keep doing what your doing. I do think, however, that it is essential for people who use their diapers as nature intended, #1 and #2, and for those who view diapers as paramount to regression and a baby mindset to use baby powder and diaper cream regularly... it is for me anyhow.

So, to answer your question, I use that stuff for the occasional practical purpose i.e. less irritation and for regressive purposes, after all, almost every baby is powdered up before being taped into a diaper and sent on their way :)

Last edited:
In all honesty I use powder just because of the scent, I love the original J&J powder and how the scent permeates through the diaper as its worn. One the weekends I usually go 24/7, so after my morning shower, I take a little bit of petroleum jelly and rub it all over my diaper area, it doesn't take a lot of because it spreads very well, that keeps my good down there from extended wetness exposure, its also important when you do change to wipe down very well, a warm wet wash cloth does a better job that any baby wipe, if your worried about the wash cloth, wipe down with baby wipes, then do it again with the wash cloth.

I use baby wash, cream and baby powder. peeing in a diaper, and sitting in it for a period of time can and will irritate the skin and foster diaper rash. Baby wash is gentle on the skin and removes residual pee from the skin. Baby lotion softens the skin and just feels good, baby powder smells awesome but also reduces chafing that bulky diapers cause in perineal area.

Can I ask what brand of creams you use? I have a rash and chafing I can’t get rid of

qwertyqwerty said:
Can I ask what brand of creams you use? I have a rash and chafing I can’t get rid of

It's best to try not hijack a thread. This comes up a LOT though. I recommend you spend some time using the search feature here.

I find that powder and cream are necessary for my comfort. I don't have to use cream on every change but it periodically needs refreshing.

Powder really helps keep you nice and dry as well. I try to use it with every change.

I also have been using baby oil after my shower to keep me moisturized down below since that powder really does dry you out. Perhaps someone can comment more on that since I've just started that part of my routine to see how much that will benefit me.

I mean absolutely necessary no. Some people just have tough skin I have. But if you're going to be in a diaper for long periods of time and your skin will be exposed to urine and or feces, it's smart to do so you don't get a diaper rash. Plus the smell of baby powder is pretty pleasant imo.

Everytime. Im always have destin on and powdered. I was with baby wash at night before bed.

I always use powder at every change; wipes are very useful also. Only use ointment/cream if I have a diaper rash, which isn't very often. I like desitin ointment or just plain zinc oxide ointment the best.

Last edited:
I’ve tried using powder once or twice, the only difference I noticed is that it made me smell like baby powder, which isn’t so great for a guy who has to wear 24/7 and wants to be discreet about it. The only time I use cream is the 2 or 3 times I’ve gotten a rash on as many years of wearing, and that was definitely my fault as I either didn’t change out of a wet diaper for more than 12hrs (sometimes it’s had to find a place), or once it was a diaper that didn’t pull moisture away from my skin enough. Apply some Balmex AdultCare in the morning, and I’m fine by the next morning. Granted, I only have urinary IC.

TL;DR you’ll know if you need powders and creams, because as others have said, some peoples’ skin is more sensitive, and others’ are not. In some cases, your skin may be sensitive at the start then adapt to the new conditions (human bodies are normally quite good at this), in other cases you may just have to use creams/powders, change your dip more often, or try another brand.

And of course a lot of us use powder in addition to or exclusively because we like the smell! That sweet smell most of us have come to associate with wearing diapers and getting their diaper changed

I don't use cream/lotion, but I do make sure that I use powder. I think you need to use something to avoid the dreaded diaper rash. I personally recommend powder.

Johnson and Johnson, Aveena,

I use cream only when I get a rash (which isn't often). Powder sometimes, but not every time and only at home.

Ever since after the first time I wore a plastic-backed diaper, I use powder with them because I discovered they make my butt sweat like crazy. Powder takes care of that. I don't use cream.

I always powder. I use cream Eden feel like a rash is coming on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back