Children of gay parents, how do you address them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
My mind has been stuck on this for the last few days. Whether it is a couple consisting of two mothers or two fathers, how do the children address them? I've read some articles that they would use "Mommy (initial of first name)" or one would be called "mom" while the other "mama." What say you?

Most often they are just both mom, or both dad.

Slomo said:
Most often they are just both mom, or both dad.

That's what I was thinking but it feels like it would get confusing.

Child: "Dad!"

Both dads: "Which one?"

I imagine it's very rarely confusing based on them not being in the same place and one obviously closer or doing something relevant for the kid. Still, perhaps they'd use their first initial or something for when they're right next to each other, like "Mom A" and "Mom B" if their name happen to start with A and B for convenience.

It's a good question. I know with having two different sets of grandparents, I called one of my grandmothers, Nanny. The other one I seldom saw and she was grandmother or some such thing. She was full Lenni Lenapi Indian and I don't think my mom liked her, so I only saw her at Christmas. Weird, I know.

I treat them the same as any one else

dogboy said:
It's a good question. I know with having two different sets of grandparents, I called one of my grandmothers, Nanny. The other one I seldom saw and she was grandmother or some such thing. She was full Lenni Lenapi Indian and I don't think my mom liked her, so I only saw her at Christmas. Weird, I know.

I was the same way with my grandmothers. The one on my father's side I called Meemee and the one on my mother's side I called memaw.

This is more up to the child and the dynamics of the family. Im gay and i have a son but he will not call anyone else dad. Not really sure how it would change if I got married to another man.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would think that they may call one differently from the other. For example, one could be "papa" and the other could be "daddy". That's basically how I would do it if my parents were the same gender. o.o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back