Is it bad to wear a diaper for too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drynites96

Leaky Sleeper
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I'm curious if it's bad to wear a dry diaper for too long. I'm still wearing my night diaper right now and I'm wondering if I can wear it all day if I don't use them.

I also noticed that a bit of SAP fell out of my diaper as I was in the bathroom. Why does this happen ?

Gesendet von meinem SM-A510F mit Tapatalk

Maxx said:
Unused, its just underwear. It may get a little funky after a couple days, but not to the point of being harmful.

heh... unless you have skin like me. I'm always having to pay attention to my skin condition lest it get "angry" at me. Mine's always a tightrope between too dry (leading to eczema) or too damp. (leading to fungus) My skin's been pretty healthy the last few months, but in the last 24 hrs I've had to keep the left side of my inner hip saturated with lotion because eczema was trying to take hold. It's itchy and painful.

On the bright side however, I did discover that ABU's Preschool Plastic diapers use an adhesive for the leg gather and leak guard elastic that's NOT dissolved by lotion, so that was a pleasant surprise and something I won't be forgetting about the next time I need to stay lotioned up. Tykables/Bambino/DC Amore (all the same base model) all use adhesive that completely dissolves if exposed to even a small amount of lotion, or if you're wet for an extended time like overnight. That leads to strips of leg gather elastic just falling out, and long bands of elastic escaping the leak guard tops and cutting into my skin by morning. Not fun!

An unused diaper is still going to absorb any sweat down there. As mentioned, it can become an irritant after a while. Generally speaking though, there is no harm in wearing the same dry diaper for a day or two. Even taking it off and putting it back on later. Though take note, even a dry diaper will begin to break apart and clump sooner or later.

It's one reason I can sometimes stay in diapers for an extended time. I'm urge incontinence so I don't get a slow and constant release but rather I tend to flood when I get my little to no warning.

Until then, I may be dry for a little bit but when I get wet, I have to think about not sitting too long and developing diaper rash.

Slomo said:
An unused diaper is still going to absorb any sweat down there. As mentioned, it can become an irritant after a while. Generally speaking though, there is no harm in wearing the same dry diaper for a day or two. Even taking it off and putting it back on later. Though take note, even a dry diaper will begin to break apart and clump sooner or later.
Okay

Maxx said:
Unused, its just underwear. It may get a little funky after a couple days, but not to the point of being harmful.

Disposable diapers aren't built to stand up to a whole lot of moving around. Inevitably, friction will take it's toll on the structure.
Okay. I'm wearing it "just in case" because I've twisted my ankle. I think I'm going to put a fresh one on tonight.

Can the diaper lose some absorbency when I wear it all day? I know that I'm sweating a bit but not much.

No it's not bad to wear a non used diaper for too long. But sometimes the stuffing inside will get bunched up and out of place. The pressure and movement of your body will push it out of place. Diapers are not made to last.

I think all day is OK if you are not running a marathon.

Sweat does build up - and make sure the nappy is still in good condition or you risk an accident when you use it.

Too long is "too long" and you don't want that. What too long is will vary by person and the conditions. I would expect that particularly if you're not using it, all day should be fine. Your skin condition will tell you whether you can go longer and how much.

As for SAP leakage, some diapers seem more prone to that than others. I think Bambinos are the ones I see it with most frequently but it's usually just a few blobby grains during clean-up. Unless you have a break in the diaper itself, there shouldn't be enough leakage to matter.

If your well hydrated a wet diaper meay irritate your skin, as said earlier, depends on your skin. I can usually wear mine for an 8 hr shift, but I was not hydrated well enough and i got a rash or something and it took days get back to normal. In either case it will eventually start to fall apart.

I can wear for 12+ hours, or however long it takes to max out the diaper I’m wearing. Depends on your skin sensitivity really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, and the longer (years) you wear diapers- especially for 24/7 users, the more your skin will adapt. Some (like me) can start out with needing to change a dry or mostly dry diaper in as little as 4 hours. Yet can still eventually adapt to being in an wet or mostly wet diaper for over 12 hours. It just takes time, and practice, that's all....

Many times I can go 24 hours on same diaper... and that’s using it! So yea, you should be god for a couple days dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too long for a dry diaper is when the diaper starts to fall apart, smell funky, show stains, ect. (Or if your body starts to react to it) This varies based on the person and on the diaper.

AddyShadows said:
Too long for a dry diaper is when the diaper starts to fall apart, smell funky, show stains, ect. (Or if your body starts to react to it) This varies based on the person and on the diaper.

I know I've been disappointed by the durability of the betterdry/crinklz I bought recently. They seem completely unsuited for daytime use, as the padding consistently clumps/breaks up and tapes consistently drift or pop during the day. By the time I get home the padding has completely broken up and the diaper is very lumpy and starting to create sore pressure points on my bottom, and one or both lower tapes have moved out several inches. And this is while staying dry during the day.

I simply can't trust them for daytime wear, they're only usable overnight. Tape drift/pop doesn't seem to be an issue then, but then with the padding getting wet, it's always about to fall apart under the back sheet by morning. (and they always feel wet?)

bambinod said:
I know I've been disappointed by the durability of the betterdry/crinklz I bought recently. They seem completely unsuited for daytime use, as the padding consistently clumps/breaks up and tapes consistently drift or pop during the day. By the time I get home the padding has completely broken up and the diaper is very lumpy and starting to create sore pressure points on my bottom, and one or both lower tapes have moved out several inches. And this is while staying dry during the day.

I simply can't trust them for daytime wear, they're only usable overnight. Tape drift/pop doesn't seem to be an issue then, but then with the padding getting wet, it's always about to fall apart under the back sheet by morning. (and they always feel wet?)

I've been getting this problem lately as well. When the tapes pop loose, that lack of a snug fit allows for the diaper to clump up.

I've already reported the tape problems to Adam on here before, and just recently sent back samples to Northshore so they can verify the tapes problem on their end. Hopefully this will get resolved soon. Crinklz was a phenominal diaper and this problem is just ruining them.

Of note, it's easy to spot the defective tapes. They all have these machining dimples in the tapes like they were processed badly. The tapes didn't use to have these dimples when they worked good.

Slomo said:
Of note, it's easy to spot the defective tapes. They all have these machining dimples in the tapes like they were processed badly. The tapes didn't use to have these dimples when they worked good.

Oh yes I noticed that change also! I was figuring those dimples were from the tractor feed that moves the tapes into position. A bit like the sprocket that moves a film strep or a reel of SMD components. But with no pre-made grooves to fit into, it was just poking into the tapes to firmly hold onto them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back