Diapers and Airport TSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

akm44

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hi everybody,

This is a topic that is brought up a lot but the specific question I have is not regarding wearing diapers through TSA but rather, having diapers in your bag. I am flying as a passenger (I am a pilot by profession) and want to bring some diapers with me. I have TSA Pre-check so I never get any additional security screening or get my bag checked.
My question: Do plastic backed diapers alone ever cause a bag check when they go through the scanner? I want to avoid having my diapers taken out of my bag and put on a table for the world to see. Any experiences and comments are greatly welcome.

Thank You

Never ever have I had my bag flagged for diapers. The only time it’s been an issue is when I forgot to take out my AC laptop charger or gels or something like that.

I had the same question a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/113630-Do-diapers-show-up-on-x-ray-scanners

Although many answers were about wearing through security (off topic) you may still find some useful answers there. My conclusion was that no one knows for sure if they will get noticed, or can predict whether you will be searched for carrying diapers in your bag. But the TSA personnel doesn't care and they are very discrete about it.

That happened to me only once. Not because of the diapers though, but because of some powder I had at the bottom of the bag. I learned that lesson, lol.

All other times I carry 4-5 extra diapers in my carry on bag. (A standard back pack where one pouch is for diapers only) Sometimes they do an extra check for other items and may just open the bag and look, but I've never had them pull any of the diapers out.

I'm pretty sure you have the right to ask for any pat-down or bag-search to be conducted in a private room. Just ask.

I had my bag checked by airport staff they saw my inco stuff but said nothing. I was patted down and the guy must have realised I was wearing a nappy but just sent me through

I was told one time by the TSA that the diapers with more cellulose can show up in a way that they tag for further looks. Usually though they stop me more for my 6 in 1 screwdriver.

joemama said:
I was told one time by the TSA that the diapers with more cellulose can show up in a way that they tag for further looks. Usually though they stop me more for my 6 in 1 screwdriver.

You're right. Thick dry diapers used to show up as a void in a persons bag. And suspocious voids are a flag. Apparently xray resolution has gotten much better though, so now I'm led to believe they can make out the individual diapers to a degree.

I have taken diapers through many many times in my hand carry on, not once was my bag searched.

Stray random thought... someone market a blank looking cardboard or plastic sheet, about the size of a piece of 8.5x11 paper. Embed with foil to spell out

PLEASE BE
DISCRETE WITH
MY DIAPERS

so that isn't visible, but shows up clearly on xray. Slip this into the front panel of your luggage.

I have flown twice since last September had my pull-ups in my book bag in which was my personal item and a few in my carry on! I didn’t wear one while going through the scanner just waited till I got inside the gate area and then went to restroom and put one on there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeronimusM said:
you could also make a nice notice, and give it to the TSA staff, prior before a search, and with a request when they want to search your bag they do this in a private space or room

Many airlines have a printable card for disclosing medial info. I printed one out and wrote on it "incontinent, needs diapers", so I could just hand that to anyone questioning my needs.

I’ve brought diapers in my carry on tons of times, never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slomo said:
Many airlines have a printable card for disclosing medial info. I printed one out and wrote on it "incontinent, needs diapers", so I could just hand that to anyone questioning my needs.

I have printed out one of these cards before - and written the same thing on it. On a recent trip last month, I wore a diaper through security and was held aside for extra screening. I had already given the card to the guy at the bag scan counter (the place where you take all your stuff out and put them in the bins).

Here’s a link to the official TSA card:
https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/disability_notification_card_508.pdf

Anyways, I had given the bag guy the card, he looked at it and then looked back at me with genuine empathy and said, “No problem sir, thank you for telling us. If you have any additional screening it can be done in private.”

When the body scanner alarmed on me and the guy there made me wait, the previous guy who I had given my card to, came and whispered in his ear. The body scanner guy did a very very mild pat down and I went right through. All was well.

It seems like having something like that will help make the TSA people less suspicious that diaper wearing people are trying to do something nefarious — whereas if you just let them discover the diaper, they may wonder why you didn’t say anything before. Remember, the main focus of (good) TSA folks is safety and security. They dont’ care about diapers or whatever per se — except if it is a safety threat. If you tell them about something on your body or clothing that is likely to alarm ahead of time, when it does alarm, they’ll be less suspicious because you were forthcoming about it. That is my experience anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should add that I only ever have issues while sleeping - so my wearing was 99.9% about comfort and pleasure than it was about a medical issue. Forgive me for the fib.

cm90210 said:
I should add that I only ever have issues while sleeping - so my wearing was 99.9% about comfort and pleasure than it was about a medical issue. Forgive me for the fib.

How many times do I have to say a psychological need is no less important than a physical one. A need is a need. You did lied, which is bad, but I get it was done as a means to help them as much as it was to help yourself. Next time, may I suggest you modify what's written on that card so it's actually true. Maybe just "requires diapers", or something like that.

Ive never had my bag taken for secondary screening because of diapers. However, I did have a bottle of baby powder in my carry on and the TSA agent flagged it because it looked like liquid on the xray. They opened my bag, pulled out the powder and ran it though separately.

Never had a problem with a carry on. But then I rarely every carry more than two at a time when flying.

I just flew on a trip last month. Went flew the whole way wearing a Tykables Overnight plus had 6 more plus boosters in my backpack. Didn't show up on backscatter and they didn't bother to look into my bag post x-ray either.

TSA mainly looks for people acting out of place. Never had a problem with my diapers anytime I've flown.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back