ABDL companies that accept FSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokeh

Est. Contributor
Is there a list of ABDL companies that accept FSA for payment? I know that most incontinence supply stores accept them such as XP Medical or Northshore Care but are there any ABDL companies that accept FSA?

Has anyone here used their FSA successfully at any ABDL companies like ABUniverse, Bambino, Tykables...etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diapers are an eligible expense for a flexible savings account. You should have a debit card tied to that account already. Just use that card for the purchase, and as always save the receipt.

Slomo said:
Diapers are an eligible expense for a flexible savings account. You should have a debit card tied to that account already. Just use that card for the purchase, and as always save the receipt.

This is true, but the merchant actually has to be setup to accept FSA cards with the visa/mc logo. ABU accepts them. I don't know about the others.

klo555 said:
This is true, but the merchant actually has to be setup to accept FSA cards with the visa/mc logo. ABU accepts them. I don't know about the others.

Yes, the merchant has to be in the proper category with the credit card processing companies for FSA to work. NorthShore is also in the proper category for FSA to work.

ABUniverse is setup to accept FSA. Once you place your order contact them & tell them that it’s an FSA purchase. They will send you a new receipt that shows Strom Holdings LLC as the company instead of ABUniverse.

I also got a reply back from Tykables and they also take FSA, they just have to process it manually.

I wish I still had my FSA. I loved those days where money was in my account for spending on stuff like that. Why didn't I think to spend it on diapers?

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

The money in your FSA is still your money, it's just set aside pretax. I've used my fsa card at northshore, and xp medical before. Keep in mind you may still have to send In receipts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FSA is for medical devices, if you are getting this stuff for pleasure and not medical reason, I would think there could be legal ramifications if you get caught. I would keep that in mind. If you need them for medical reason go ahead use it for the ones you like, but if you are just trying to get free for pretax money for diapers that you medically don't need, you could end up in hot water there.

Reactions: perlFerret
babyboy said:
FSA is for medical devices, if you are getting this stuff for pleasure and not medical reason, I would think there could be legal ramifications if you get caught. I would keep that in mind. If you need them for medical reason go ahead use it for the ones you like, but if you are just trying to get free for pretax money for diapers that you medically don't need, you could end up in hot water there.

Actually that doesn't matter. As long as what you are buying is approved by the government, the IRS does not care why you buy it.

Slomo said:
Actually that doesn't matter. As long as what you are buying is approved by the government, the IRS does not care why you buy it.

That’s not true at all. Adult diaper purchases under an FSA must be accompanied by a note from your doctor for medical need. IRS rules and every FSA company I’ve had required this. You can look it up for yourself.

I've looked through the list several times... it says. "Diapers (adult) -used to treat a medical condition". Nowhere does it state that a note is needed, and never have I been asked for more than a receipt. Granted I buy plain white diapers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UNDER IRS PUBLICATION 969 YOU WILL FIND THAT WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION, ADULT DIAPERS DO NOT QUALIFY FOR REIMBURSEMENT FROM A FSA ACCOUNT.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) are pre-tax savings accounts for qualifying medical expenses. Every year it seems they are being examined more carefully, and unless you are needing adult diapers for medical need such as incontinence and have a physicians prescription or qualifying diagnosis, they do not qualify for FSA reimbursement. Even if your company or organization does not carefully monitor this and you are able to purchase them, if you don't have a physicians diagnosis or prescription, then you are risking getting caught by the IRS and having to pay taxes and penalties for this.

Let's not risk losing this benefit for those who really need them by trying to get a tax discount on diapers just because you want to wear them if you don't have a physical need.

Research it more at IRS.gov

TeddyBearCowboy said:
UNDER IRS PUBLICATION 969 YOU WILL FIND THAT WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION, ADULT DIAPERS DO NOT QUALIFY FOR REIMBURSEMENT FROM A FSA ACCOUNT.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) are pre-tax savings accounts for qualifying medical expenses. Every year it seems they are being examined more carefully, and unless you are needing adult diapers for medical need such as incontinence and have a physicians prescription or qualifying diagnosis, they do not qualify for FSA reimbursement. Even if your company or organization does not carefully monitor this and you are able to purchase them, if you don't have a physicians diagnosis or prescription, then you are risking getting caught by the IRS and having to pay taxes and penalties for this.

Let's not risk losing this benefit for those who really need them by trying to get a tax discount on diapers just because you want to wear them if you don't have a physical need.

Research it more at IRS.gov

Caveat to my posts. I'm a lawyer, but not a tax lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Anywho, TeddyBearCowboy is probably correct, but for the wrong reason, and there's a bit of ambiguity. Diapers most likely aren't a drug or medicine under the FSA definitions, they're a medical device. Publication 969 actually says to reference a different document, publication 502, for these definitions. If you check out publication 502, it has a specific thing about diapers not being covered, sadly. Specifically, it says
Diaper Service
You can't include in medical expenses the amount you
pay for diapers or diaper services, unless they are needed
to relieve the effects of a particular disease

Now, I should note that this is ambiguous. What counts as "a particular disease" and who gets to decide that is not clear. Almost certainly, if a doctor actually writes you a prescription for diapers, that counts as a particular disease and you'd get to be reimbursed for the use of your FSA to buy the diapers. But what else might count? Well, if you have a particular disease of any sort and you've got a doctor's diagnosis and diapers are helping deal with that, even if the doctor didn't explicitly prescribe you diapers, that might still count. After all, it doesn't say who gets to decide whether they're needed or not. Even more broadly, it doesn't say what proof is required for having a disease, so there's at least an argument that if you are suffering from a particular disease, even if a doctor hasn't confirmed that, and you need diapers to help you, you're still okay. That still leaves out some ABDLs, I think, since most of us would not classify our ABDL interest as a disease (and indeed, our community has taken pains in the past to ensure that people do not view us as diseased). So if you're buying strictly for pleasure, you probably are violating your FSA, but if you've got anything medical that the diapers are helping with, you're probably okay.

Although AGAIN, this is not legal advice, it's a very broad reading of this published IRS guidance by a person who does not specialize in this area of law. Do not assume you're fine just because you fit into a category I thought was probably fine or vice versa. If you get audited and need help, look around locally for a lawyer or accountant that can assist you.

Edit: IF YOU'RE READING JUST THIS POST, MAKE SURE TO READ MY POST ON THE NEXT PAGE OF THE THREAD TOO. THERE'S EXTRA AMBIGUITY ABOUT WHETHER "DIAPER" MEANS "ADULT DIAPER" OR ONLY REFERS TO CHILDREN, SO THE ABOVE MIGHT BE WRONG.

Last edited:
Spaz said:
That’s not true at all. Adult diaper purchases under an FSA must be accompanied by a note from your doctor for medical need. IRS rules and every FSA company I’ve had required this. You can look it up for yourself.

Not sure who told you that, but you were lied to. You can buy all kinds of medical related items that do not require a doctors approval. It would be stupid to think you need a doctors note to buy bandaids, asprin, or any other item commonly available over the counter. Diapers arw an over the counter item and DO NOT require a doctors note either.

- - - Updated - - -

As just ONE such example.
https://fsastore.com/SearchProducts.aspx?q=Diaper

ArchieRoni said:
Caveat to my posts. I'm a lawyer, but not a tax lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Anywho, TeddyBearCowboy is probably correct, but for the wrong reason, and there's a bit of ambiguity. Diapers most likely aren't a drug or medicine under the FSA definitions, they're a medical device. Publication 969 actually says to reference a different document, publication 502, for these definitions. If you check out publication 502, it has a specific thing about diapers not being covered, sadly. Specifically, it says

Now, I should note that this is ambiguous. What counts as "a particular disease" and who gets to decide that is not clear. Almost certainly, if a doctor actually writes you a prescription for diapers, that counts as a particular disease and you'd get to be reimbursed for the use of your FSA to buy the diapers. But what else might count? Well, if you have a particular disease of any sort and you've got a doctor's diagnosis and diapers are helping deal with that, even if the doctor didn't explicitly prescribe you diapers, that might still count. After all, it doesn't say who gets to decide whether they're needed or not. Even more broadly, it doesn't say what proof is required for having a disease, so there's at least an argument that if you are suffering from a particular disease, even if a doctor hasn't confirmed that, and you need diapers to help you, you're still okay. That still leaves out some ABDLs, I think, since most of us would not classify our ABDL interest as a disease (and indeed, our community has taken pains in the past to ensure that people do not view us as diseased). So if you're buying strictly for pleasure, you probably are violating your FSA, but if you've got anything medical that the diapers are helping with, you're probably okay.

Although AGAIN, this is not legal advice, it's a very broad reading of this published IRS guidance by a person who does not specialize in this area of law. Do not assume you're fine just because you fit into a category I thought was probably fine or vice versa. If you get audited and need help, look around locally for a lawyer or accountant that can assist you.

I would say this is probably the best, and if you really need to know consult a tax lawyer. I doubt any one wants to deal with an audit from the IRS over buying diapers for fun. I would say unless you have a script, it is best to pay with post-tax dollars.

Slomo said:

Unfortunately, that is 100% INCORRECT. WHY is essential. Diapers are only covered if there is a medical (post-infancy) reason. A prescription makes you golden, but other proof of medical necessity will work. You can't just say "adult diapers" are always covered under FSA (or other medical related tax preferences).

However, once you have an approved REASON. The rest of the details are largely unimportant. You can direct order ones with little butterflies on it or you can pay it out of pocket and get reimbursed by your FSA/HSA. All of my HSA purchases I just make on the special HSA credit card. The providers no nothing about the details. I have to retain my reasoning for the account withdrawal in case the taxman comes asking.

willnotwill said:
Unfortunately, that is 100% INCORRECT. WHY is essential. Diapers are only covered if there is a medical (post-infancy) reason. A prescription makes you golden, but other proof of medical necessity will work. You can't just say "adult diapers" are always covered under FSA (or other medical related tax preferences).

However, once you have an approved REASON. The rest of the details are largely unimportant. You can direct order ones with little butterflies on it or you can pay it out of pocket and get reimbursed by your FSA/HSA. All of my HSA purchases I just make on the special HSA credit card. The providers no nothing about the details. I have to retain my reasoning for the account withdrawal in case the taxman comes asking.

Ok then, I'll have to remember that the next time I try to buy bandaids without a doctors note confirming that bleeding is a disease.

ArchieRoni said:

I actually believe the intent of the IRS designation on "diapers" was that you can't buy your child diapers using your FSA account. Diapers for babies/children are treated completely different by almost every entity.

babyboy said:

FSA is for anything medical that can help the client function better. Diapers are in that category, and incontinence is not a requirement for them to be counted. If an individual is not physically comfortable, if they are always bothered by their environment, and if the discomfort of not wearing a diaper is a distraction, then diapers are definitely a medical necessity. So the FSA should be applied in such cases.

I did forget to mention, that the diapers must serve to relieve the effects of a particular disease. For example: A developmental disability on the autism spectrum would qualify. A note from a doctor would be sufficient to describe the diagnosis that makes the diapers necessary. Had to clear this up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back