Thread: Hypocritical Thinking Amongst "Open-Minded" Twentysomethings

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinating View Post
    That is you looking good!

Thank you!

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poofybutt View Post
    Whoa! That you?

You are pretty jacked. You wouldn't happen to be a bodybuilder by chance? My bodybuilder friend has the same broad shoulders and muscular back. It's hard to tell as we can't see your whole body, but that doesn't look too excessive or unhealthy to me. That's the type of physique I see on occasion when I head to weights section of my local the gym. That photo's giving me some Arnold Schwarzenegger in Stay Hungry vibes.
    Yes, that's me. I was a competitive bodybuilder (drug free for life) for over 15 years. Interestingly, the only time I didn't have to worry about wetting the bed was the week before a show when I was so dehydrated (intentionally) that there was no chance of it happening.

I ran across this quote in the book - The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt, and thought it might be of interest here as it presents a theory addressing the concerns of the OP.

Christopher Boehm is an anthropologist who studied tribal cultures and also studied chimpanzees with Jane Goodall. Chimpanzee society evolved methods of cooperation for dealing with alpha males that threatened to completely dominate a group. Boehm sees similar behavior in human tribal groups when it comes to morality.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Boehm
    And if you add the ability to communicate with language, and note that every human society uses language to gossip about moral violations, then it becomes easy to see how early humans developed the ability to unite in order to shame, ostracize, or kill anyone whose behavior threatened or simply annoyed the rest of the group.