What to say when somr ask you why you wear diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I have a diaper fetish. Would you like to try one? Hands them puffy plastic disposable underpants with a big smile.

Thus far, I have been able to avoid this situation, but I think I would simply try to hint that I wear for medical reasons. At least this is what I would do if I was discovered by someone who doesn't need to know the truth. I wouldn't lie to a partner about my reasons, though.

I have a prepared answer for when it finally happens. (not yet thankfully, but I'm sure it will eventually)

Short, simple, honest, and doesn't beg for follow-up questions: "It's better than the alternative".

They're likely translating "alternative" to "piss my pants", but I'm translating it to "NOT being diapered"

:)

Honestly, even though it's not really true, I just say either, "Because I need them", or "I'm incontinent". Easy, simple, and doesn't bring more questions.

The only people who have ever asked why I wear a diaper have been physicians and other medical people. However, it’s a bit surprising that doctors rarely ask unless I’m having a consultation about my bladder-control issues. I’ve told family members and a very few close friends. If a stranger or an acquaintance ever asked, I would probably just say something like, “I wear diapers to keep my pants dry on the outside.”

Last edited:
I would just say: Why do people wear diapers in your opinion?

diaperedwetter said:
I would just say: Why do people wear diapers in your opinion?

"I also wear glasses, haven't you ever noticed? You've never asked me why I wear glasses?" (with an almost audible "duuuuh?" in the air)

I'm laughing Dogboy, and at the same time wondering why we don't have, "knife control" ?

littlemoosey said:
I'm laughing Dogboy, and at the same time wondering why we don't have, "knife control" ?

A lot off topic, but we do. Haven't you ever wondered why blades are most common at 1.5" & 3" long, with very few knives ever exceeding that length.....

How many of you have actually been asked why you wear nappies?

ST50 said:

I have been asked quite a few times but it's all been from ABDLs who already know I wear.

ST50 said:

I was thinking a little on this... about "what's OK to ask about, and what's NOT okay". It's an interesting question, because it appears to boil down to whether the condition is temporary or permanent.

For example, if I saw a coworker with a bandage on their hand, I'd probably ask about it. And I'd expect them to ask me about a bandaged hand also. "Wow, what happened to your hand?" That seems pretty normal, expected even.

On the other hand, if I saw some guest roll into my office in a wheelchair, I'd definitely think it's NOT okay to ask them why they're in a wheelchair.

So it seems that the society I'm used to living in anyway considers temporary disabilities OK to discuss and inquire about, but NOT permanent disabilities. Which is kind of interesting to think about.

Diapers could be a temporary or permanent condition, but I believe that most people would tend to assume they are permanent, and thus would withhold inquiry and comment.

The really interesting part of this is looking at some of the "excuse responses" our group considers using. A lot of them focus on making up an excuse for some temporary condition, which seems to be the opposite of what you'd want to do if you wanted to end discussion on that topic.

Responding with something like "mild food poisoning last weekend, just a precaution" would indicate a temporary condition, and would probably just encourage them to continue to discuss it or get more details.

On the other hand, tossing out say "nerve damage from an old motorcycle accident", that would immediately clarify to the other person that they were digging for details on a permanent disability, something that's in the "not allowed" category, and likely shame them into disengaging immediately.

Consider:

THEM: "Are you wearing a diaper?"
YOU: "nerve damage from an old motorcycle accident."
THEM: "Oh.... so, how's your house remodel going?"

or

THEM: "Are you wearing a diaper?"
YOU: "touch of food poisoning last weekend"
THEM: "Really? What was it, potato salad or meat or ?"

So, consider your response carefully. You can either encourage them, or shut them off.

Slomo said:
Nope. It's "because I need them".

This works for if you have a physical need, or a mental one. It is the TRUTH, either way.

There is no need for you to go into detals. IF, and I mean IF, someone keeps asking, just tell them it's personal and you don't want to into details (also true).

When I was 4 or 5 I had a friend notice my training underpants in the laundry basket, I just said I still had some accidents sometimes so I had to wear them (yeah blame the parents for making you wear protection that you needed but did not want to admit to anyone that you knew it was for the best). In college I had to tell those I slept with it that it was because "I do not want you to wake up to a wet sheet in the middle of the night". Nowadays, I like the line quoted "because I need them" . This does not go into the details of my security / comfort and lack of accidents at maybe 1 / 2 / 3 times year....just I need them states enough.

I don't understand all the fuss around supposed lying to such an invasive and rude question. If you assume an overweight woman is pregnant and ask when she's "due", most would agree you deserve any possible rude response or bodily harm that could result if she was obese and not pregnant. Likewise, anyone that has studied law knows lying is perfectly legal except when one has a legal duty (to the other party) to tell the truth - this essentially boils down to contracts and commerce; fraud is lying to another resulting in their peril, such that they would incur some type of damage based on the belief of your statements. This is why lying to an insurance company and possibly a doctor is different than lying to a friend or stranger waiting outside of the disabled toilets. You have no duty to provide details to a stranger about anything private going on underneath your clothing, even if they manage to sneak a peek, let alone the rate in which your yellow toenails grow per month.

But, if you are not truly incontinent, that doesn't mean you need to lie. Just work on a carefully crafted truthful response. I've combined the gist of many of the responses in this thread (and even added some of my own) for those who incontinent or not:

POLITE RESPONSES:
-"for medical reasons" (the psychiatric community conclusively agrees any sort of ABDL'ism/infantilism/fetishism is a mental condition)
-"from a bad accident" (whatever happened in your past to your knowledge or not resulting in ABDL tendencies, was certainly not intentional, right?)
-"because its better than the alternative" (one of my favorites - pick from many possible alternatives!)
-"because I need them" (why else would anyone wear a diaper if not to fulfill some need?)
-"because I wet the bed" (when you wet your diaper, would it not get the sheets all wet if it weren't there?)
-"because I don't like wet pants" (okay, maybe this would be a lie to some)
-"because I like to be dry [on the outside]"
-"because I respect [your/the] furniture"
-"why do you ask?" ... "I'm not sure I understand your reason for asking" (keep repeating the last sentence)

POSSIBLY IMPOLITE RESPONSES: (answering a question with another question is not lying either)
-"why do you think?"
-"why do people wear diapers in your opinion?"
-"do you not know what diapers are for?"

I particularly like what Angela Bauer (a DailyDiapers contributor) has said on the matter:

"I don't tell others that I'm incontinent. If really pushed I will say that I have a condition that forces me to wear diapers."

And finally, a famous quote from Cheryl Gartley; author of the 1985 book "Managing Incontinence" and founder of the Simon Foundation for Continence:

"If you ever wet and wear a diaper, you are incontinent."

jellyjigger said:
I don't understand all the fuss around supposed lying to such an invasive and rude question. If you assume an overweight woman is pregnant and ask when she's "due", most would agree you deserve any possible rude response or bodily harm that could result if she was obese and not pregnant. Likewise, anyone that has studied law knows lying is perfectly legal except when one has a legal duty (to the other party) to tell the truth - this essentially boils down to contracts and commerce; fraud is lying to another resulting in their peril, such that they would incur some type of damage based on the belief of your statements. This is why lying to an insurance company and possibly a doctor is different than lying to a friend or stranger waiting outside of the disabled toilets. You have no duty to provide details to a stranger about anything private going on underneath your clothing, even if they manage to sneak a peek, let alone the rate in which your yellow toenails grow per month.

But, if you are not truly incontinent, that doesn't mean you need to lie. Just work on a carefully crafted truthful response. I've combined the gist of many of the responses in this thread (and even added some of my own) for those who incontinent or not:

POLITE RESPONSES:
-"for medical reasons" (the psychiatric community conclusively agrees any sort of ABDL'ism/infantilism/fetishism is a mental condition)
-"from a bad accident" (whatever happened in your past to your knowledge or not resulting in ABDL tendencies, was certainly not intentional, right?)
-"because its better than the alternative" (one of my favorites - pick from many possible alternatives!)
-"because I need them" (why else would anyone wear a diaper if not to fulfill some need?)
-"because I wet the bed" (when you wet your diaper, would it not get the sheets all wet if it weren't there?)
-"because I don't like wet pants" (okay, maybe this would be a lie to some)
-"because I like to be dry [on the outside]"
-"because I respect [your/the] furniture"
-"why do you ask?" ... "I'm not sure I understand your reason for asking" (keep repeating the last sentence)

POSSIBLY IMPOLITE RESPONSES: (answering a question with another question is not lying either)
-"why do you think?"
-"why do people wear diapers in your opinion?"
-"do you not know what diapers are for?"

I particularly like what Angela Bauer (a DailyDiapers contributor) has said on the matter:

"I don't tell others that I'm incontinent. If really pushed I will say that I have a condition that forces me to wear diapers."

And finally, a famous quote from Cheryl Gartley; author of the 1985 book "Managing Incontinence" and founder of the Simon Foundation for Continence:

"If you ever wet and wear a diaper, you are incontinent."

It's actually easy to understand. Lying may not always be illegal but it still corrupts your own personal morality. It also undermines your honor and trustworthiness too.

To put it simply, the more you lie the less you become.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back