Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mysterious Immunity?

I dont recall ever being sick with the Cold/Flu, but i do get sick in other ways

The most common is Asthma Flare Ups and Bronchitis

I also seem to get more than my fair share of ear infections, but I haven't had a full blown ear infection in probably 4 or 5 years, but before that it seemed for 4 or 5 years that I had an ear infection about once a year.

I also had a mysterious bout of illness that I can't really categorize, all I know is the main symptom was stomach pain (above my hip on the right side) going on for about 4 days, i was really tender (nothing could touch the effected area or the pain was too bad to be able to function) and nauseousness for a few hours the first day.

Then the symptoms dropped off and I just got better.

I also have this. Ever since my tonsils and adenoids were removed, I have not once gotten really sick. I had this done when I was about four or five. I've actually had people cough around me... yet not ONCE have I gotten very sick.

Yep, I have a similar 'lazy' immune system. It doesn't seem to react to anything. I can't remember the last time I had flu. Once per decade seems to be my average for a cold or similar and I have to really drive myself into the floor to get even that (no sleep, overworking, terrible diet, stess, etc). I never get stomach bugs or anything else either. Haven't bothered with the flu shot and never take antibiotics. I take a multivitamin every day out of habit, but it doesn't seem to make much difference when I've forgotten in the past. I'm sure it will balance out in the end and I'll drop dead from plague at 60!

Any vitamins that are worth taking aren't sold OTC! If they are worth anything trust me big pharma keeps a choke hold on it .
    I had a vitamin deficient form of anemia, and the cost of a monthly shot was alot of money, a highway robbery in an exam room .
    We inherit alot of immunity from our parents, so be gratefull you come from good parents .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

My immune system is pretty good too, at least when it comes to colds and flu. I haven't had a cold since Christmas 2016. And the last time I had actual flu was 2009 (though that one knocked me out for nearly three weeks).

I think it's largely inherited; my dad also has an excellent immune system. He's 80 now and still fitter and healthier than many men half his age, but when he was working he was never off sick in 50 years, except one time when he got food poisoning from some bad shellfish.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyFrog View Post
    Yep, I have a similar 'lazy' immune system. It doesn't seem to react to anything. I can't remember the last time I had flu. Once per decade seems to be my average for a cold or similar and I have to really drive myself into the floor to get even that (no sleep, overworking, terrible diet, stess, etc). I never get stomach bugs or anything else either. Haven't bothered with the flu shot and never take antibiotics. I take a multivitamin every day out of habit, but it doesn't seem to make much difference when I've forgotten in the past. I'm sure it will balance out in the end and I'll drop dead from plague at 60!
    I wish my immune system were lazy! It's more like keeping a pet tiger, I try not to get it riled up. I have a smattering of unusual but generally severe allergies, some of which (e.g. pesticides) can be quite inconvenient (non-organic salads can have me reaching for my Epi-Pen).

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    My immune system is pretty good too, at least when it comes to colds and flu. I haven't had a cold since Christmas 2016. And the last time I had actual flu was 2009 (though that one knocked me out for nearly three weeks).

I think it's largely inherited; my dad also has an excellent immune system. He's 80 now and still fitter and healthier than many men half his age, but when he was working he was never off sick in 50 years, except one time when he got food poisoning from some bad shellfish.
    I also don't need antibiotics very often: the last time was for Lyme disease, as a precaution against establishment of latent infection — by the time my doctor saw me, my symptoms had already resolved. Before that was circa 2004. The last flu I had was actually a mild one, and at first I mistook it for another bout of Lyme. For a couple days I had fever and chills and aches, but no other symptoms — just like Lyme — except rather than continuing on like that for another week, the fever broke and a dry cough developed. Then I made the connection to the fact the flu had been circulating in my office…

I suspect you may be on to something insofar as hereditary immunity. My family generally doesn't get the flu — it's just not a thing — and my grandmother in particular seemed to never catch anything. As she put it, she "doesn't believe in getting sick" and credited her health to sheer willpower. o.O

By way of updates, Evil Cold #4 afflicted only the one room mate; neither I nor the other roomie caught that one.

Default In flew Enza

We all got the flu… myself included this time. Both of my room mates have had flu shots; I have not. I'm curious to see how our courses of illness differ.

For me, the flu arrived in spectacular fashion… I went from feeling healthy to shivering under a pile of blankets with a 101°F fever in just a few hours. Today is day #3 for me, and the fever is fading but not yet gone. My biggest complaint by now is the sore throat, which is surprisingly painful.

I've made a point to eat well while sick, which I'm hoping will help speed my recovery. I certainly feel that it makes a difference! I mustered enough energy to make breakfast yesterday — scrambled eggs with cheese and home fries with fresh onion and garlic. I managed a quick dinner as well: spicy ramen noodles with bits of rotisserie chicken from the store, broccoli, "rainbow" baby carrots, green onions, and baby bok choy. Yum. ^.^ Somewhere in between I ate a grapefruit and made a cup of honey-lemon-ginger tea. I've probably had far more OJ than I should… anyway, I'm making an effort to stay well-nourished despite a relative lack of appetite.

We'll see how long it takes to recover…