How to get over the embarrassment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

podmuse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I’ve been having IC problems for little over a year and for security I’ve chosen diapers 24/7. I still live with my mom and we don’t talk about my issues at all. Last year I ordered some and she asked me and I told her. I haven’t brought it up since and whenever I place an order I have it shipped to the store and I usually sneak it in after she’s asleep. Today I got busted and she was upset at the fact I still order them and I felt the need to sneak them. I told her my doctor said I was fine which I am. It’s so awkward I simply never want to discuss it with her but this is a part of me now. Like how do you get over this?

podmuse said:
I’ve been having IC problems for little over a year and for security I’ve chosen diapers 24/7. I still live with my mom and we don’t talk about my issues at all. Last year I ordered some and she asked me and I told her. I haven’t brought it up since and whenever I place an order I have it shipped to the store and I usually sneak it in after she’s asleep. Today I got busted and she was upset at the fact I still order them and I felt the need to sneak them. I told her my doctor said I was fine which I am. It’s so awkward I simply never want to discuss it with her but this is a part of me now. Like how do you get over this?

If you are incontinent, why would your mom get mad? I never understand why some people can't realize or accept incontinence as a medical problem, and wearing diapers as a good solution. Maybe you should have a good conversation with her. If she gets mad again, I think you should assert yourself and stand up for your needs which would be wearing diapers.

Please clarify. Doctor said you were fine. Fine to wear or not incontinent? If you are incontinent then wearing diapers is a need. As a parent if I was not approving of activities my children were doing in my house I could ask them to leave, (if they were over 18 of course) but if it was for a medical need I wouldn't feel right about that but that's me. It can be embarrassing to wear diapers. My young children were snooping in my room and found them 😶. The laughed and made jokes, I had a talk to them individually and they understand now but it's still embarrassing none the less. As for family the only way to alleviate the embarrassment is to talk about it so it's not a secret.

Maybe I’m just insecure I’m not sure. At this point though I need them. I have really bad ibs and lately I have had zero warning of an attack even though I’ve had this illness for years. But I also suffer from OAB. I’m constantly dribbling. Health wise I’ve been tested for everything and my doctor doesn’t agree how I handle the situation but I’m a very busy person. I work a lot and in Certain situations I simply cannot get up from my desk to go to the bathroom. I’ve had plenty of accidents in them this way. They also give me a peace of mind because I’m not constantly worried about the bathroom.

Then tell your mother just that. If she is left to her own imagination, she will undoubtedly go to the worse case scenario. You owe her that much. If you have already seen the doctors as much as you say, you are doing what you can, if you haven't, then be prepared for the wave that is coming. Either way she loves you and only wants what is best.

I agree with previos statements here ,you should try to talk to youre mother and explain that this is due to medical reasons and on this (youre staments of sed problems ) then youre mother should be able to respect the fact that youre curently in need of this particular medical aid (Btw just like you i started with severe IBS -D and like you i have 0 % warning its now and here we go =hence (read my signature ) , And like RW 25 i would strongly suggest be ready for what might and probaly WILL happen in the very near future

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are IC then maybe you are not fine? Maybe you need to find a different doctor, use both alternative methods and normal medical methods to treat it and also do exercises (pelvic floor etc). If you are young then you need to get the body addressed relatively soon to protect yourself for later in life and there could be an underlying health issue that could be more dangerous that needs looking at.
Having said that, I could be wrong to have said that.... i report, you decide :)

I had to wear nappies at night as a teenager as I was a chronic bedwetter. It was never a problem for my Mother. You shouldn't have to hide nappies from your parents if you truly need them.

If you havent seen an urologist you really should to make sure there is nothing life threatening, there are different treatments available you should at least talk to the urologist or his incontinence support nurse. There is nothing wrong in choosing to wear diapers to manage your incontinence vrs meds I choose diapers 24/7 over meds but I am 55 and the exercises didn't help.

Talk to your doctor about making an appointment and then after the tests and discussing it with your doctor you can make an educated decision on what best works for you. as only you can decide.
Keep you Mom and Dad in the loop of what the doctor says and then let her know you are ok with wearing diaper 24/7 to manage yout medical issue after the checkup. Then stop hiding the fact you need diapers from her its a medical issue that you have no control of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back