Incontinence for life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebabyboy12

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
My Dr told me this week that he believes that my bladder will never return to normal activities. Meaning I’ll be in diapers for the rest of my life. The only procedure he thought might bring improvement is intertism. But that was not 100%. Wasn’t truly ready to hear those words. I knew it was possible but I had hope they would figure it out. Incontinence is rough and brings many challenges that most people never think of.

Ehorton said:
My Dr told me this week that he believes that my bladder will never return to normal activities. Meaning I’ll be in diapers for the rest of my life. The only procedure he thought might bring improvement is intertism. But that was not 100%. Wasn’t truly ready to hear those words. I knew it was possible but I had hope they would figure it out. Incontinence is rough and brings many challenges that most people never think of.

It is six years since I was told my incontinence was incurable.At first I thought my life was over but I have learned to deal with it and get on with life. A few adjustments and my IC has never stopped me doing any thing I want to do.

ST50 said:
It is six years since I was told my incontinence was incurable.At first I thought my life was over but I have learned to deal with it and get on with life. A few adjustments and my IC has never stopped me doing any thing I want to do.

I’m sure I’ll continue to do the same. It’s the cost of everything. Diapers, wipes, powder, catheters. Then figuring out how to carry spares. How to dispose. Finding the right clothes. My wife doesn’t want me to wear onesies even though I would kill for them as I’m always pulling down my shirts. It just stinks right now

Im trylly sorry to read that :( I would dare to say im in the same boat with mien as well judging how things progress (sigh) , i know how bad things must feel like now but i have to agree with ST 50 `s statement here. Is it a good thing ? NO , is it cheep ? HECK no , is it a pain in the neck and requires slight modifikations in our daily lifes ? Absolutley But in my opinion what other choice do we have then to try to accept ,learn, and adapt too our new situation ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ehorton

Sorry to hear you are going to be in diapers permanently, but as ST50 said you adapt to being diapered and they really do not change what you can do in life, agreed diapers are expensive and make traveling more of a challenge but after a few trips and search's here and other incontinent support sites you learn how to deal with it.
My wife at first wasn't happy with the thougt of me wearing a onesie but now fully accepts the need for one as they really do help hide and keep your diaper in-place.

I wear plain white or black ones that my medical supplier sells I do computer tech support for a living so I am always bending and stretching so with out a onesie my diaper gets exposed to often even with a longer shirt hopefully she will see the practicality of a plain colour onesie.

remember we are all here to help and support each other

Ehorton,

For what it's worth, I could say you just about echoed my response when I was told. Before the doctors told me I always had a glimmer of hope that something would change. That was taken away when they said they had tried just about all they could and I just needed to focus on managing the symptoms. I didn't even remember the drive home but I do remember looking up at the deck over the driveway and thinking it would hold my weight if I hung myself off of it.
Try not to let it consume you. I KNOW it may be hard to keep your mind from the depressing stuff but have faith that things will turn around. Talk to people here and use it as an outlet to vent. Learn different ways to manage things and don't be afraid to try new ways to manage things. Trust me, it will pass and it's all about learning your new normal. Please, use me or anyone here as a sounding board if you need to.

RW25 said:
Ehorton,

For what it's worth, I could say you just about echoed my response when I was told. Before the doctors told me I always had a glimmer of hope that something would change. That was taken away when they said they had tried just about all they could and I just needed to focus on managing the symptoms. I didn't even remember the drive home but I do remember looking up at the deck over the driveway and thinking it would hold my weight if I hung myself off of it.
Try not to let it consume you. I KNOW it may be hard to keep your mind from the depressing stuff but have faith that things will turn around. Talk to people here and use it as an outlet to vent. Learn different ways to manage things and don't be afraid to try new ways to manage things. Trust me, it will pass and it's all about learning your new normal. Please, use me or anyone here as a sounding board if you need to.

Thanks so much. Hearing that the feelings I’m having are so called normal makes it a little bit easier. I don’t really know where to start some days. The feelings vary all the time from denial of the facts to accepting and everywhere between.

Ehorton,

Mind if I ask if you are going through this alone? Are you married?

RW25 said:
Ehorton,

Mind if I ask if you are going through this alone? Are you married?

Yes married and extremely happy. My wife has been extremely supportive.

Good to hear she is supportive. That is huge.

RW25 said:
Good to hear she is supportive. That is huge.

Yes it is. She is hesitant to get more supplies that will make me feel more comfortable. IE onesies, diaper bag, and other supplies that would make my day easier. But hopefully she will come around to those things.

What type of products are you using now? How has she been taking the different kinds of diapers?

Ehorton said:
Yes married and extremely happy. My wife has been extremely supportive.

my wife was so pragmatic and told me to stop moping about. Wear nappies and get on with life.

RW25 said:
What type of products are you using now? How has she been taking the different kinds of diapers?

I’m using North Shore Supreme Diapers. She is very adamant that I only use those because they are the only thing that truly works.

- - - Updated - - -

ST50 said:
my wife was so pragmatic and told me to stop moping about. Wear nappies and get on with life.

I’ve heard that before. Lol. So much easier said than done. But we have to do it. Other wise have wet pants

Sorry to hear. When such information is informed. I remember when I was told that I was incontinent that my life was pretty much over. But my wife supported me all the way, she even bought my first package of diapers because I was too embarrassed to do it myself. Now with the adjustments I (we) have made, I must say it was not the end of the world. I don’t hide my diapered state when at home, but I don’t flaunt it either. Hang in there, from now on it will only be better. And I hope your wife eventually understands your need for special clothing to support and hide your diapers aka onesies. I can recommend getting some in neutral white like tank tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ehorton said:
I’m using North Shore Supreme Diapers. She is very adamant that I only use those because they are the only thing that truly works.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve heard that before. Lol. So much easier said than done. But we have to do it. Other wise have wet pants

Honestly it gets easier. I was just the same I felt like a dirty old man. But gradually realised no one even noticed I wore nappies. My wife just kept saying so what if they do. I promise you with the right mind set you can overcome this and get on with life. I still enjoy everything I always did and I lead a pretty active life. I know that without the support from my wife it would have been much harder to acept.

I'm sorry for what you are going through. I glad your wife is supporting you. If it were me( and sorry ahead of time, I'm not eloquent with my words at times) I would talk with my wife and point out that you carry a diaper supply bag for children, it's a need, not a want. Also as far as the onsies I think just about every one doesn't want people so see their diapers. This is a convenience to make life easier, supporting diaper placement, and peace of mind so people don't accidently see your diaper. I wish you the best.

@Ehorton I'm glad your wife is supportive - it makes it easier to adjust to your (our) situations. I have involved my wife in all the significant decisions, which helps to keep her involved and give her some ownership in the process. We made the decision together when I went 24/7, and she has been very helpful in making decisions about what treatments to try, etc. As to products, she generally doesn't get too involved in what I wear, and lets that up to me - though I try to explain what I need and why I need it (ie: one diaper for daily wear, another for night time, and others for when I just can't bear to put on yet another all-white one!)

As to a diaper bag, I currently have a couple masculine looking black drawstring type bags and keep one in each of our vehicles. They are discrete and don't hold more than 3 or 4 diapers, but seem to do the trick for daily life.

am 18 and is was wonder on should i use catheters i want to have incontinence

jackabdl99 said:
am 18 and is was wonder on should i use catheters i want to have incontinence

I can tell you incontinence is not something you want permanently. I can speak as I at one point desired incontinence. At the time I thought it would be fun to wear diapers 24/7. Now that I don’t have a choice it’s not so much fun. It’s expensive and causes unwanted stress. Where to change, having to carry supplies, leaks, did I mention leaks? Its not life alutering but it’s definitely hard. Be careful what you wish for. I didn’t think it would happen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back