Car seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsnjones21

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Looking for a high back car seat that i would fit in I’m 5’10” I really want one with the 6 point harness but let me know all options I will even buy a homemade one from one of you if that’s possible

You can get the special needs ones for big $$$

Look for a racing seat for youth. That is probably going to be your best bet without having to spend huge money on a special needs one. The youth racing seats have a bit more room since they typically accompany a racing suit.

babyblueblanket said:
Look for a racing seat for youth. That is probably going to be your best bet without having to spend huge money on a special needs one. The youth racing seats have a bit more room since they typically accompany a racing suit.

LOL, I bet folks like Randy La Joie did not have littles/AB's in mind when they designed their seats.

That said, some of the little kids I've seen racing karts or junior novice quarter midgets have been so little that I've almost wondered if any of the safety equipment manufacturers make fire retardant pull ups. ;) :)

Illinoise said:
LOL, I bet folks like Randy La Joie did not have littles/AB's in mind when they designed their seats.

That said, some of the little kids I've seen racing karts or junior novice quarter midgets have been so little that I've almost wondered if any of the safety equipment manufacturers make fire retardant pull ups. ;) :)

Lol, Sparco probably didn't think to market to the AB community either. I would bet if you took a sparco seat, found some juvenile fabric, and someone who was really good at re-upholstery you could have your self a pretty neat car seat. Practical? No. Neat to have? Yes

I second racing seats. Some of the more hardcore fixed back buckets look pretty decent. And you can get them I bright primary colors. I’ve considered putting a set in my one car just for fun along with the 5 point harnesses.

I recently bought a Britax frontier 85, and I`ve tried to make myself harnessed in it. Before removing the soft cover, it is impossible to buckle up. Then, I tried again with only the hard shell of the car seat, I could successfully buckle up myself. That`s going to be extremely tight (I have loosened the strap to its limit), which I like very much though. By the way, I`ve changed the route of the straps to make it fit myself. I am 5'8 1/2'' cm tall, with 152 pounds. If someone wants to try it, I suggest that read the manual detailedly,from which you will benefit some important information.

condmat said:
I recently bought a Britax frontier 85, and I`ve tried to make myself harnessed in it. Before removing the soft cover, it is impossible to buckle up. Then, I tried again with only the hard shell of the car seat, I could successfully buckle up myself. That`s going to be extremely tight (I have loosened the strap to its limit), which I like very much though. By the way, I`ve changed the route of the straps to make it fit myself. I am 5'8 1/2'' cm tall, with 152 pounds. If someone wants to try it, I suggest that read the manual detailedly,from which you will benefit some important information.
May I ask you how you fit to it? I mean, is the seat tall enough for you, so where your head positions on it? Please answer, this is very important for me, owning a car seat where I could fit have always been my dream. A car seat would be very comfy to use as computer chair for example and it would make me feel so little ~ But I guess I'm too tall for them (almost 190cm)... :sad: So please answer and also what You think, could a 190cm tall person fit to sit in Frontier 85? My worry is not the harnesses because I guess it wouldn't be hard to modify them longer & slots upper. My worry is that my head go over the headrest and my shoulders would be on the headrest instead of head...

Thank you very much if you answer my questions. Important questions because I have never seen on the net any ABDL owning Britax Frontier 85 (=the tallest 5-point harnessed) or similar tall car seat :)

PS. Is 5'8 1/2'' = 174cm ? I just want to make sure (I'm not American) :biggrin:

dx88 said:
May I ask you how you fit to it? I mean, is the seat tall enough for you, so where your head positions on it? Please answer, this is very important for me, owning a car seat where I could fit have always been my dream. A car seat would be very comfy to use as computer chair for example and it would make me feel so little ~ But I guess I'm too tall for them (almost 190cm)... :sad: So please answer and also what You think, could a 190cm tall person fit to sit in Frontier 85? My worry is not the harnesses because I guess it wouldn't be hard to modify them longer & slots upper. My worry is that my head go over the headrest and my shoulders would be on the headrest instead of head...

Thank you very much if you answer my questions. Important questions because I have never seen on the net any ABDL owning Britax Frontier 85 (=the tallest 5-point harnessed) or similar tall car seat :)

PS. Is 5'8 1/2'' = 174cm ? I just want to make sure (I'm not American) :biggrin:

Hello~
My height is about 174.5 cm, and I think it is almost the limit of that car seat. If you read the manual, you will find that there are 2 height adjusters behind the car seat. One is rather obvious; as for the other one, it's located behind the headrest itself, and you have to remove one screw to move the headrest itself up. When I adjusted all of them to be at the highest position, the harness fits me extremely tight. The tightness may make you feel pain.
As for the height, it reaches the upper limit; if you are taller than 180cm, your shoulder absolutely can't be under the headrest. Another question is that the car seat is a little bit too narrow for adults, I think it's not comfortable enough to regard it as a daily life seat. I am sorry to inform you the news that makes you disappointed, I can feel the thought of couldn't be in a harnessed car seat. Actually I had thought this for almost 15 years(I am now 20, after my father let me sit on the normal car seat in a car, I had felt disappointed for such a long time.) Maybe you could find some special need car seat, for example Columbia 2500, or Tomato MPS, or something like that. Or maybe there's a market for adult car seat, the community members can send emails to Britax to produce adult car seat (my imagination lol). Bless you good luck.

OK np, many thanks for info condmat! :)

Hi, I’ve been following this thread with interest. I would so love to be able to fit in a car seat, but I’m at the upper height range as well 179-180cm.
Just seen on eBay there is a Britax Frontier 90, is that a bigger seat than the 85?

philly123 said:
Hi, I’ve been following this thread with interest. I would so love to be able to fit in a car seat, but I’m at the upper height range as well 179-180cm.
Just seen on eBay there is a Britax Frontier 90, is that a bigger seat than the 85?
They are almost same just a later model with some changes. Frontier 85 is the oldest model, Frontier 90 newer and Frontier G1.1 the newest.

The main difference between Frontier 85 and 90 is that while using Frontier 85 in booster mode, the harness slots also move upwards with the backrest. From Frontier 90 that "feature" is removed. But it shouldn't be hard to modify the harnesses to start for example behind the seat and/or extend them. In this blog there's good comparision between 85 vs. 90: https://carseatblog.com/21567/brita...-review-features-and-clicktight-installation/

dx88 said:
They are almost same just a later model with some changes. Frontier 85 is the oldest model, Frontier 90 newer and Frontier G1.1 the newest.

The main difference between Frontier 85 and 90 is that while using Frontier 85 in booster mode, the harness slots also move upwards with the backrest. From Frontier 90 that "feature" is removed. But it shouldn't be hard to modify the harnesses to start for example behind the seat and/or extend them. In this blog there's good comparision between 85 vs. 90: https://carseatblog.com/21567/brita...-review-features-and-clicktight-installation/

No No, there is an older model of Britax frontier which is the original "frontier". It was manufactured in 2008 to 2010 and it`s the smallest model, which you can see on this page: https://us.britax.com/retired/frontier/ . If someone is curious about the fitting size of all those models, then one can search many photos comparing those models on google.

Thanks for so many encouragements, I have not known that so many people are interested in car seat before. I believe that there is a market of adult car seat.

Good luck!

do not see why you could not make one out a plastic race seat for a race car and us a 6 point race harness

- - - Updated - - -

have seen a lot of young kids still in diapers driving go karts or Jr drasters as
you can start at age 4

That's the feeling issue. Sitting in a harnessed car seat makes people anticipated because it's designed to not let child easily escape from it. I don't know... when I sit in it, I feel greatly content.

Besides, has anyone ever sit in britax frontier 90 or newer model? How is the size of it? Does it fit well for adults being not too tall?

I’ve just been thinking about getting an EZ-On Max vest >.>

Image being in a big ole custom fitted car seat with -5- point harness securing babykins in place
with the big ole quick release buckle resting on a comfortable well padded diaper cover -
AND then being mittened so that escape is not an option !
Oh did I mention the same custom fitted car seat detaches and can be made part of a stroller carriage.

babylock1 said:
Image being in a big ole custom fitted car seat with -5- point harness securing babykins in place
with the big ole quick release buckle resting on a comfortable well padded diaper cover -
AND then being mittened so that escape is not an option !
Oh did I mention the same custom fitted car seat detaches and can be made part of a stroller carriage.

That would be lovely! I wish there were an adult baby stroller, and I wish further that it were socially acceptable to use one in public!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back