Status
Not open for further replies.

Makubird

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Can anybody explain the difference between a pacifier, a dummy and a binkie? First I thought that it had something to do with American English (pacifier) and British (dummy). But I have seen American forum members using 'dummy' and British members using 'pacifier'. And what is a binkie?

Some forum posts consistently mention 'pacifier/dummy' as if not everybody is familiar with both terms.

In the Netherlands we call it a 'fopspeen' literally meaning 'fool teat' or 'fake teat' which seems a more accurate description to me by the way. :paci:

As far as I know, it's like "diaper" and "nappy." I'm in Britain and I've never heard 'paci' or 'binkie' used by people.

Honestly they're all the same thing, it's just kinda up to preference I think when deciding which one to say. There probably is some regional bias, but it shouldn't matter too much which one you say.

Yeah, they are all different words and phrases that refer to the same thing. I think Shadow456 hit the nail on the head with the Diaper vs. Nappy comparison. Just different words used for the same exact thing. I often use all three terms interchangeably when I'm in little mode or when I talk about pacifiers.

Binky is actually a line of paci. It's not Gerber. Who is it that makes the binkie line? I'll look it up. Aha! It's Playtex! I'm not an idiot, yay! Sometimes a brand becomes synonymous with the thing. Like down south, if you go to the right place, every carbonated drink is called a Coke.

"Mom, I want a Coke."

"What kind?"

"Mountain Dew."

Mountain Dew is a Pepsi product, but, down south, in some places, Coke is so huge, it's simply come to mean carbonated drink. Paci and dummy mean the same, and Binky is a line of pacis, or dummies, that got so big as to become synonymous with pacis. Paci is the American word, and dummy, the British, but when a British Little bABy, and an all American Little bABy connect, words can be borrowed.

I live in the US and therefore always called it a pacifier and I often use pacifier when answering posts. However, I often use the word dummy if I am replying to a post that calls it a dummy. In other words, I often try to use the same word that the poster has used.

siysiy said:

https://youtu.be/zZ3fjQa5Hls

and No Isaac this is not from my childhood. :laugh:

I have never seen a tap dance on roller skates before :)
Now I am confused how they managed to do that in one single shot/take without falling! :D

Thanks for all the explanations. It is much more clear to me now.

siysiy said:

https://youtu.be/zZ3fjQa5Hls

and No Isaac this is not from my childhood. :laugh:

The ironic thing is this video is a running gag with me and one of my colleagues at work.

. As for dummy, pacci, binkie I use the term. Pacci or dummy.

Makubird said:
In the Netherlands we call it a 'fopspeen' literally meaning 'fool teat' or 'fake teat' which seems a more accurate description to me by the way. :paci:

That's similar to British English -- a dummy is literally a fake thing, or something used to fool another. And, in slang, a foolish person.

As well as a baby's dummy (a fake teat), we also refer to mannequins as dummies (fake people).

Oh, and I've also heard Americans use the term "soother".

Thinking about it, it's curious that Brits focus on what the object is (a fake teat), while Americans focus on what the object does (pacifies or soothes). Similarly to the British pushchair (a chair you push) versus stroller (what you can do with the chair). *shrug*

Makubird said:
tiny said:
That's similar to British English -- a dummy is literally a fake thing, or something used to fool another. And, in slang, a foolish person.

Not so different then. You can tell we are practically neighbors. Just a little water separating us. :smile1:

Makubird said:
Not so different then. You can tell we are practically neighbors. Just a little water separating us. :smile1:

Hehe! Yep -- just an hour's flight! :) And I've done it so many times!

I've never made it beyond the suburbs of Amsterdam, but I love everything about it. The beautiful architecture and canals, the museums, galleries and cultural events, the amazingly diverse food, clean air, and such wonderfully civilised, friendly people. I'd love to see more of the country beyond Amsterdam.

Where do you live? What's life like in your little corner of the Netherlands? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back