Hand-washing for cloth-diaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neaendr

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Hello
For a reason of discretion, I wonder if washing my cloth-diaper and my inserts by hand would be possible? (considering i only use them for wetting, not messing)
Indeed I have access to my own bathroom, I am the only one who use it, and I could clean and dry my items in it without problems; while the only washing machine at home is used by several people (The risks of being caught is more important, then)

(I have a PUL and cotton diaper-cloth and bamboo insert, and I know I must not rub or torn the insert because it will damage the bamboo fiber).
What do you think? Do you know a good way to wash an insert and cloth-diaper by hand? Would you recommend it? :O I've come across video of mothers using their bathtubs for washing baby cloth diaper with a plunger (some video showed plungers, pierced with a drill, several holes on it, or without holes) they were using the succion cup effect on the diaper...It seem brutal for the fabric, what do you think? :/)
Thank in advance!

Last edited:
I don't recommend it but then again I am impatient and would rather have the machine do the laundry.

You certainly CAN do it my hand. I would imagine it isn't quite as good as a machine wash but it is probably good enough.

I have never hand-washed any clothes so I can't comment on that.

I hand wash mine everyday. When I first take mine off I rinse out the booster and diaper to get
the pee and "mud" out. I then soak them in a pail of hot water and Arm&Hammer with Oxi Clean
detergent for about 4 hours. I then clamp the diaper to the shower head and rinse it for about 5 min.
I turn it end for end to rinse it throughly to get all the soap out. I do the booster in the sink.
I'm able to hang mine outside to dry. For my PUL panties I rinse them when I shower and hang on a
hangar to dry. Been doing this for going on 6 years now.

Before having easy & private access to a washer I laundered my flat night diapers in my morning shower. I simply spread them out on the shower floor so that the hot soapy water cascading off me ran through the fabric to reach the drain. At first the water had a yellowish tint when it reached the drain. But it didn’t take long to clear. Expect many will dismiss this method, but I swear it worked perfectly for me.

I hand wash.

I use a Plastic washtub of warm water and up to half the first line of Dreft. If I had to wait for any appreciable length of time (had to go to work) I let them soak for five minutes. I then agitate vigorously for five minutes, wait five, go three, then empty the tub. I rinse in a fresh tub by repeating the agitating process in the clean water for three minutes before squishing (not wringing, never wringing) them out and hanging them to dry.

Thanks a lot for all your advices and information :D !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back