Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prejudice against Christians

Default Prejudice against Christians

I do NOT mean to offend anyone by this post.

What I mean by the title is that I am annoyed at people claiming all Christians act a certain way. Saying that all Christians are conservative, bigoted, hateful hypocrites is like saying that all gays have girly-voices and floppy wrists: it's not only hurtful, it's more often than not fictional! I am a Catholic, and I think I'm one of the most open-minded, accepting, and liberal people I know!

It may not seem real to you because Christians are not a minority in many places, but prejudice is prejudice, and it's unacceptable. Thank you for your time, please share your thoughts in a respectful manner. (The last thing we all need is a flame war.)

Butterfly Mage

I usually put Christians and Christian "leaders" into two completely seperate categories. I've had numerous very positive encounters with individual Christians. I think the vast majority of Christians actually do get the primary directive of Christ's teachings, which was "Love God and Love Each Other".

So-called Christian leaders are basically politicians. They manipulate people with words and concepts for the purpose of accumilating power and wealth.

I've liked most of the mainstream Christians I've met. I've had low opinions about Christian leaders almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovalchuk View Post

What I mean by the title is that I am annoyed at people claiming all Christians act a certain way. Saying that all Christians are conservative, bigoted, hateful hypocrites is like saying that all gays have girly-voices and floppy wrists: it's not only hurtful, it's more often than not fictional! I am a Catholic, and I think I'm one of the most open-minded, accepting, and liberal people I know!

It may not seem real to you because Christians are not a minority in many places, but prejudice is prejudice, and it's unacceptable. Thank you for your time, please share your thoughts in a respectful manner. (The last thing we all need is a flame war.)
    Thank god someone is finally speaking the hell out for the Christians that get mocked and whatever else goes on that's socially acceptable. I am a 21 year old, republican christian yet here I am on a support site for diaper fetishists! Yet, anytime I made a stand for my beliefs on prop 8 I got shot down over and over despite having the two (now 3) best friends of my life either turn out to be gay or bisexual. I took a stance on a religious stand point, the first in a very long time since I became for lack of a better term a born again christian.

Also I don't mean one of those bible thumping bullshitter's, hypocritical assholes either. I'll invite friends to church once and only once, I'll never force it on people. Nor will I ever kill a person just since they have a different faith then me unlike some other idiots out here in this world. I can respect other peoples views, I just wish they could do the same without getting all pissed off and slamming others for their "traditional views".

Quote Originally Posted by Kovalchuk View Post

There are ways that people act.
    There are ways that people "ought to" act.
    There are ways that people self-report as acting.

I think a lot of the complaint the West has against Christians is the incongruity of the above statements.

I myself actually strongly support people who go to provide aid, comfort, and human assistance - if they're doing it "for God" it does not diminish its impact.

That said, I quite strongly am opposed to people reporting they act in accord with a codex, while in reality doing anything they please. Which means that I'm not inclined to befriend folks who live by their whims during the week, repent in church once a week, and think that's okay.

I like Cairncross (the Scottsman, I can't recall his name right now) as reported by Peter Wright: He had done wrong (high treason), he had been caught, and he basically said, "yup. I did that. And I'd do it again."

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Thank god someone is finally speaking the hell out for the Christians that get mocked and whatever else goes on that's socially acceptable.

[...]

I can respect other peoples views, I just wish they could do the same without getting all pissed off and slamming others for their "traditional views".
    Bill O'Reilly has been doing this for years. If you've missed this in the media, you've not looked hard enough. Or are willing to dismiss this as isolated pockets. Your point is valid, but far from the first.

I am a 21 year old, republican christian yet here I am on a support site for diaper fetishists! Yet, anytime I made a stand for my beliefs on prop 8 I got shot down over and over despite having the two (now 3) best friends of my life either turn out to be gay or bisexual.
    I believe you have drawn a false dichotomy here. The two (Republican Christian and diaper fetishist) are not mutually exclusive groups, meaning that membership in the one does not preclude membership in the other.

Mako

It is ignorant and pointless to group all christians together, because they are a vast group of people. It's much more efficient to dissect the points anyone makes rather then generalize them into claims they are not making.

, anytime I made a stand for my beliefs on prop 8 I got shot down over and over despite having the two (now 3) best friends of my life either turn out to be gay or bisexual. I took a stance on a religious stand point, the first in a very long time since I became for lack of a better term a born again christian.
    Religion doesn't excuse ignorance. Having gay friends doesn't excuse support for oppression of equal rights. I feel you deserved to be shot down regardless of your justification, but thats a whole other debate.

I can respect other peoples views I just wish they could do the same.
    People have the right to believe what ever they want, rather it be true or ignorance beyond belief. But when they vocalize it, everyone else has the right to point out it's strength's and weakness's. I see no reason why people should have to respect vocalized views that they do not find respectable.

The loudest minority speak for the majority.

That's my argument, short and simple

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Religion doesn't excuse ignorance. Having gay friends doesn't excuse support for oppression of equal rights. I feel you deserved to be shot down regardless of your justification, but thats a whole other debate.

People have the right to believe what ever they want, rather it be true or ignorance beyond belief. But when they vocalize it, everyone else has the right to point out it's strength's and weakness's. I see no reason why people should have to respect vocalized views that they do not find respectable.
    Me having gay friend's was NEVER being used as a excuse to oppress equal rights. Like I said I took a relogoius stance on gay marriage just as how miss California did and guess what happens... exactly what you said, we get called ignorant, bitches and cunts and everything else under the sun. Yet when we gay people take a stand and no one uses anything hateful to debate about it we still get called hateful bigots.

Right now if you were in my position how would you feel Mako?

As for being a young christian republican with whats called a diaper fetish I meant that to be ironic and to prove that republicans aren't all uptight assholes that care for no one but themselves as everyone loves to portray them as.

The problem is no one talks about the good that Christians do.

The media only brings up the things that they want to, such as the Catholic opposition to birth control.

A warm meal or an extra bag of groceries to make ends are just some of the hunger-related services provided by Catholic Charities. In 2007, over 6.5 million people received food services—accounting for nearly half of the services provided by Catholic Charities nationwide.

You don't see stories about stuff like that, except possibly on the local level.

Mako

Me having gay friend's was NEVER being used as a excuse to oppress equal rights.

Yet, anytime I made a stand for my beliefs on prop 8 I got shot down over and over despite having the two (now 3) best friends of my life either turn out to be gay or bisexual.

Like I said I took a religious stance on gay marriage just as how miss California did and guess what happens... exactly what you said, we get called ignorant, bitches and cunts and everything else under the sun.
    The latter is not justified, the former I feel is.

Yet when we gay people take a stand and no one uses anything hateful to debate about it we still get called hateful bigots.
    Theres more to hate then intent. If you make someone feel hated by supporting oppression of their equality for reasons for none other then a personal doctrine that they do not follow. Hateful bigot is not that far off.

Right now if you were in my position how would you feel Mako?
    I would get myself out of said position and answer for my beliefs objectively as possible. Faith does not have the luxury of being objective.

BabyWolf

Even though I consider myself a strong Christian, I have issues with some leaders because many simply spout rhetoric. Believe it or not, it's perfectly acceptable for a Christian to question things. It's expected, even. Only through questioning do we gain understanding. Anyone can parrot an answer, but to truly understand something, one must question it. Unfortunately, many Christians, including leaders, fall into the trap of not questioning and simply repeat the same answer from with a very narrow perspective.

I believe, then, that much of this prejudice is not unfounded and Christians in general have sowed the seeds for it.