Replaced my old mattress cover because it got ruined, adjusting to the new one is hard! Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleKae

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I had a bed wetting incident in 2016 but haven't had one since. It was related to a trauma I don't wanna get into, and I'm too embarrassed to say it out loud right now so no one knows about it except me and whoever reads this.

I can't always sleep in diapers, but once when I tried wetting laying down I leaked a bit! To make sure I don't ever leak or have another embarrassing bed wetting accident, I've been using an 11-year old mattress cover but then it got destroyed! This was so nice of a cover. It was terrycloth-like on the top and it was fitted like a fitted sheet, plus it wicked the water away a bit so if you spill water on yourself while reading before bed, you just have to put a towel down to help dry the sheet on-top! But then the protective water proof part got ripped and I don't think I can fix it. :( I was just going to wash it because it was smelling funky...

The night it got torn, I bought a new one in a blind anger, or something like that. I grabbed the first one that said waterproof and in my size, and then bought it and put it on my bed. This new one is a full-covered zippered plasticy..thing. Like a sleeping bag for my bed almost! Having never had this as a kid, I'm not sure how to feel about them...I know it'll keep my mattress dry, but...it's making me wake up in a bit of sweat that's really gross, and in the summer time this is going to suck. Is there anything I can do to make it less sweaty or will I just get used to it? It's only that bad on nights I use my heated blanket, which will be tonight for sure since it snowed and now it feels way more cold.

I'm thinking about putting my old one on top of my new one since I still have it but it's a full-sized mattress cover and I have a twin XL, so it's a bit awkward to put on my bed anyways! I forgot I had to sort of rig it to be tight. I'm afraid it won't make it through the washing machine again, but it's mostly the terry-cloth top that I want, not the vinyl on the bottom...

Does anyone have any advice? Is this something I'll get used to, or do these work better with flannel sheets or something? I only have old cotton sheets that are getting thin and thread bare in places from being washed so often, haha. This may be the problem. Also more humidity in the air may be causing it!

Anyways it's like 3:35am so I'm going to try to sleep. Hopefully I won't wake up sticky-sweaty!

Perhaps you could try fixing the tear with duct tape on the underside?

I have pretty recently replaced al my bed wear (from iC mattress cover to IC bedwear) and like you at the begining i got VERY HOT at night and al the rest but now im happy to say the body seams to have adabted to the new material in the bed so i would suggest you keep on fighting a while and see if the body gets used to it. I should also ad that i have the ord bedwear on top of & over the iC so you protect the bed & bedwear but you also have the added protection from tearing it up . + its also less contact between you and the IC material.

Ps i also have a elevated floor fan a bit from my bed to cool me down try that as well trust me it works (i always get hot during the night ether way even before my IC ) just make shore it dont blow to mush on youre head tho

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a zippered plastic mattress cover on my bed and place a non-waterproof cloth on top of the plastic one. My bottom sheet goes over the two covers. My diaper very rarely leaks at night. But when it does I wash the sheets and the non-waterproof cover.

There are thick cloth mattress covers that you can lay over the plastic one that go on like a fitted sheet--there are also ones without the elastic but they can shift and wander under the regular sheet.

It may add enough padding to make things more comfortable but it will also add to your laundry when wet.

These are not ones necessarily intended for IC.

I also have a plastic cover that fully encloses my mattress. Over that I have a fitted woven pad that has a plastic liner. Then I have the regular fitted sheet,

I haven't noticed any particular problem with sweating or sleeping in this arrangement.

I have a pul fitted sheet and then put a fleece throw over the middle of it to dissipate any leaks, I used to have a fully waterproof plastic sheet but found it too noisy and sweaty, using a thinner duvet helps and turning down any heating in the bedroom.

Thanks for replying and the suggestions, everyone! I'm going to try to duct tape my old one cover back together to use a buffering layer, otherwise I'll use an old blanket under my fitted sheet and mattress until I can get a replacement topper.

This morning I woke up with a bit of a prickly heat rash on my lower back that went away after I stopped laying in bed so I'm going to do something about it today so it doesn't get worse/happen again. It's been so dang cold I have to warm up my room with a portable heater before bed time or I'm cold for an hour...even with pre-heating the heated blanket! I could also not be rinsing my laundry well enough, who knows!

Last night I slept with the winter-mode on my ceiling fan on and it circulated the warm air around the room but it didn't help with the plastic sheet problem...buffering layer time! I just have to get the duct tape out.

My matteras ccover is fuy waterproof but has a quilted outer layer and i use a bed pad under my sheet. Very comfortable even when my nappy leaks.

We al have to find our own solution and use what works for us, as far as i understod this you always need to have some sort of buffer on top or between sed waterproof material

What i belive happend was that you dident have sed buffer between and so when you laid there al the body heat produced swet which then got stuck between youre body and the waterproof material as you dident have the opertunity for a layer over it/betwen the body and sed protection to make the body to be able able to breath, how my matress cover is built is with 3 layers and the one between is the waterproof material (and i still have a extra ord sheet on top of that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back